Dma

Hello everyone,
First off thanks to EVERYONE here. You all have taught me a ton and I have backed up well over 200 dvd’s now. Only had 1 coaster so far. Back to the main question. I have noticed that sometime when its ripping it will go up to 14 mb/s but normally only average 4-5 mb/s. Any ideas why this happens. I normally reset dma before every burn and kill most processes running in the backround. Here is a copy of the system I am using, dont laugh lol.
Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600

Processor a
2.15 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: First International Computer, Inc. AM39L PCB 0.x
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 06/29/2003

Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
28.70 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A [CD-ROM drive]
JLMS XJ-HD166S [CD-ROM drive]

with 768mb ram

A burn log would help as well.

[QUOTE=Skunkz]Hello everyone,
First off thanks to EVERYONE here. You all have taught me a ton and I have backed up well over 200 dvd’s now. Only had 1 coaster so far. Back to the main question. I have noticed that sometime when its ripping it will go up to 14 mb/s but normally only average 4-5 mb/s. Any ideas why this happens. I normally reset dma before every burn and kill most processes running in the backround.
I’m kinda in the same boat as you, sure learned a lot from the fourm. :bow: I have noticed that a lot of the times the read speed depends on the movie. If it’s having to compress or not and if it’s having to overcome errors or scratches or whatever. Yesterday, I backed up all 3 of “The Crow”. The first and second both read in 5 to 7 minutes, but the third, (which looked the best as far as the disc looked) took 45 mimutes and had lots of errors. I thought sure my dma had gone, but when it burned it only took 6 minutes.

I agree with Donovan. Read time is very dependent on the amount of compression and the condition of the disk. Other influences might be, when was the last time you did a disk defrag ? You should keep up with that on a regular basis. That’s your flow or information highway. If it’s bottlenecked, there’s a instant slow down. And there’s nothing about your system to laugh at. It’s been good enough to back up 200+ DVD’s with one coaster, there’s not too many that can say that. That’s decent. ~ Mike

i agree with the compression and protections. my copy speeds usually start around 6 MB/s and continualy climbs up to 10-12 MB/s until the process has completed. However when backing up movies like carebears or wiggles my copying speeds start around 10-12 MB/s and rise until the process is complete.

before dvdfab i made several coasters (probably didnt know what i was doing), however now the only ones are when i backup the wrong audio (accidently get directors commetary) or forget to select subtitles (ive got it turned off) such as with apacolypto.