DMA will not enable on GSA-4167B

vbimport

Just upgraded from a HT P4 3.0 Ghz on a Asus PGGD1 to a Core 2 duo E6400 on a MSI P965 Platinum, 2GB of DD2-800 (OCZ Gold). My LG drive is now barely functional, installs have taken a good 6x as long as they should. After digging around I’ve discovered it is running in PIO mode, I’ve tried setting to DMA with no success, uninstalling the Secondary IDE channel and then adding it again, updating the firmware to DL13, all and it still sits in PIO mode (with the transfer mode staying set to DMA if availiable). I’ve tried using my old IDE cables, it’s master on its bus, all my HDD are running on 3 of the 7 SATA connections.

It’s currently taking about 7 minutes to move a 400mb file off a CD-R, inserting the Oblivion DVD and it sits there spooling up and then abruptly stoping over and over for about 4 minutes before the autorun finally gets going.

I’m about ready to give up and pick up a LiteOn SH-16A7S (SATA).

Any ideas?

The Secondary IDE channel driver is version 5.1.2600.2180
DVD driver is version 5.1.2535.0
Firmware is DL13

Only other thing I can think of is I have one device in device manager showing up as an error, under Other Devices\SM Bus Controller. Haven’t found drivers for it, not really sure what it is.

Thanks,

DarkSaturn

Only other thing I can think of is I have one device in device manager showing up as an error, under Other Devices\SM Bus Controller. Haven’t found drivers for it, not really sure what it is.

You need to install the SM Bus Controller drivers that should be on the motherboard cd. Install them and see if the drive is still stuck in PIO mode. You’ll also need to install the Intel Application Accelerator.

Here’s the link for the downloads on your motherboard:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=745&kind=1

Well that solved the SM Bus issue, thanks. Unfortunately the drive still won’t get out of PIO mode, I’ve tried setting to DMA, removing and reinstalling and Secondary IDE channel.

Try the drive on the primary ide channel.

Not sure I can move the drive to any other channel.

The P965 has three primary IDE channels and three secondary IDE channels. It has 6 SATA through the Intel ICH8R, one more SATA through the JMicron JMB361. The Ultra DMA 66/100/133 IDE controller integrated in JMicron JMB361.

Now that I read that I wonder if the issue is related to the driver for the JMicron JMB361.

Check this thread.

Thanks for the help everybody, seems to be working fine now.

Here was the required steps from the thread ala42 linked in:

The JMicron RAID controller is not listed as such in BIOS, under advanced chipset features there is an option labeled: Onboard RAID, setting it to RAID after installing the SCSI version of the JMicron driver did the trick. Rather confusing given the existance of two onboard RAID controllers… and given that its not SCSI and I’m not using RAID…