DMA question (w/ Lite-On SOHC-5235K)

I just noticed that Nero Infotool lists DMA as ‘off’ for my Lite-On SOHC-5235K combo drive. It’s set up as a slave on my secondary IDE channel. However, InfoTool lists DMA as ‘on’ for the SHM-165H6S, which is the secondary master.

I checked in the BIOS, and that seems to think the 5235k is using Ultra DMA Mode 2 (which is the higest it supports, according to Lite-On’s site). So is there something off with the way Windows is treating the drive? Or is the reading in Infotool correct for this configuration? The drive’s never appeared to be slow, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject could give their opinion.

Bios is not windows. Take a look here and see what is windows setting

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

Doh, Geno beat me to it about checking in Device Manager. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the reply, but there don’t seem to be “Advanced Settings” tabs in the properties for either my primary or secondary IDE channels.

What IDE drivers do you have? This problem is typical of nvidia or intel IDE drivers

The drivers are from Intel.

If you don’t have burning problems with these drivers, then leave your system as is.

If you have burning problems, uninstall both primary and secondary IDE drivers and restart computer to let windows install standard microsoft ones.

And Intel drivers are the very devil to get rid of…I had them on here (my mum’s PC).

Edit: as Geno said, if you’re burning fine, leave it be…they tend to reappear when uninstalled. I had to format to get rid of the ones on here.

I’ll probably do a format tonight to get rid of them. It’s getting near time when I should do one, anyway.

My only issue with parting with them is the driver package that put them there also contains many others (AGP controller, PCI bridge, Processor to I/O controller, etc.). Are the standard windows (my installation disc is XP Pro SP2) versions of these drivers equivalent? Or do the Intel ones have advantages? When reformatting in the past, I always installed the Intel package out of habit, as my board is Intel.

However, if the Intel drivers actually cause problems like this, I suppose I’ll refrain from using them in the future.

You can install all needed drivers and after finishing fresh installation you can manually remove only IDE drivers. After a restart windows should install microsoft drivers.

I’m not sure (never seen intel drivers), but if during installation you can choice, install anything but IDE drivers.

I don’t know about the other drivers (this too is an Intel (810) board, but I only ever installed the onboard graphics driver, and the Application Accelerator), but for IDE, the best ones to use would be the default M$ ones. :slight_smile:

I get around the IDE thing by skipping the Application Accelerator.

Mine is a D845WN… no onboard graphics and I’ve disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS in favour of an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

In the executable install package I’ve used in the past, there doesn’t seem to be a pick-and-choose option. However, I also keep the alternative *.zip download, for manual installation. I’ve never actually used that method, but I imagine you could simply choose which ones to install instead of putting them all in.

I’m just wondering if it’s worth bothering with Intel’s drivers at all, anymore. Perhaps if I had a really new board, but this thing is a couple years old now, and Intel stopped issuing updates quite a while ago. I’d hope M$'s own drivers must be on par with Intel’s at this point, for my archaic hardware, if indeed there was ever much of a difference.

This PC’s pretty elderly :bigsmile:

Try the .zip file, and see if you get a choice…that’d make things a lot easier for you :slight_smile:

Lol, I suppose, but it does its job. The rest of its hardware is pretty decent considering its age (768MB RAM, USB2 expansion card, Radeon 9800 Pro 128, etc.). I also keep it pretty streamlined, so stuff like DVD ripping goes through pretty quick (usually only half hour or so).

Your other post reminded me of Application Accelerator, though, which I do have installed. Ironically, it reports my SOHC-5235K as currently in UDMA2 mode, which contradicts Nero Infotool. I’m not sure which to believe, now.

If you can’t select what install, then install them all, and at the end uninstall only IDE drivers leaving windows install standard ones. This should solve.

No no no, I was talking about the one I’m using, not yours. This one doesn’t even have an AGP slot :bigsmile:

I should really thank you for mentioning the Application Accelerator earlier. I unistalled this, and it seemed to be the source of the Intel IDE Controller drivers (as well as an Intel version of the Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controller). I’d always assumed the controller drivers came from the other install package that had the AGP/etc., but they were from this instead. Uninstalling the Accelerator rolled all 3 listings back to their original M$ versions, and everything now seems back to normal. My HD is working at UDMA5, the SHM-165H6S at UDMA4, and the SOHC-5235k at UDMA2; and InfoTool also lists DMA as ‘on’.

Good work :iagree:

Excellent! Looks like you had more luck removing it than I did :bigsmile: