Dma On

Hi,

I have a PIII 700MHz system on an Asus CUSL-2 (Intel 815E)mobo and an LTR-32123s and Pioneer DVD-ROM 115
My problem is that from where can i know for sure that i have DMA turned on for my drives ??
i have Intel Application Accelerator which says DMA is on for all frives, while Ner Info tool 1.02 says it is not turned on for my liteon !!!
Who do i trust ??
I tried to do some speed testing, and my LTR only writes at a max speed of 24x although my media is certified 32x

any ideas ?

Hady

To check if DMA is on

(Windows 2000 & XP):
Right Click on ‘My Computer’ and select ‘Properties’
Click the ‘Hardware’ tab and click ‘Device Manager’

(Windows 95 to ME)
Right Click on ‘My Computer’ and select ‘Properties’
Click on the ‘Device Manger’ tab.

(Afterwards)
Double-click on ‘IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers’
Double-click on ‘Secondary IDE Channel’
Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ and verify both ‘Device 0’ and ‘Device 1’ are set to DMA. If not, change them to DMA. If any says ‘Not Applicable’ then there is no drive on that channel.
Click OK
Now, double-click on ‘Primary IDE Channel’
Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ and as above, verify both ‘Device 0’ and ‘Device 1’ are set to DMA. If any says ‘Not Applicable’ then there is no drive on that channel.

If you cannot get any of them to change from ‘PIO’ mode to ‘DMA’ mode, then you will need updated Controller drivers.

I basically have the same system. The Intel Application Accelerator tells you it is UDMA-2, etc. Did you look at what it reports for the 40 vs 80 conductor cable? A 40 conductor cable will limit the transfer speed. I had a bad 80 conductor cable that reported it as 80 for one device, and 40 for the other. Cable problems could cause speed problems, try a different one.

IAA Manual See 40 Pin, 80-Conductor IDE Cable. Also, there are a couple of notes in the troubleshooting section.

IAA replaces the IDE driver, so the DMA check boxes in Control Panel will not appear. You use the IAA utility to set the transfer mode.