Dll file missing

vbimport

Hello to all out there. I have a serious problem with my PC, Every time I try to boot this message appears on a dark screen: “windows failed to boot as a dll file is missing of corrupt” The file is “windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll” I tried my damnest to rectify but all nothing doing. Keeps asking for admin password which I do not know. Tried various sites to find the password but the problem got worse. Even tried downloading the file, but too techie for me. Any cure for this, before I have to format the drive? I must add that when booting through the original cd, it works fine although a bit unstable. The operating system is XP professional. I know it’s Jurassic, but I don’t need more.
Any help please? Thanks to all

Its best to do a search on the internet with your problem. In about three seconds I found this fix. Here is link.

[QUOTE=linogatt;2712736]Hello to all out there. I have a serious problem with my PC, Every time I try to boot this message appears on a dark screen: “windows failed to boot as a dll file is missing of corrupt” The file is “windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll” I tried my damnest to rectify but all nothing doing. Keeps asking for admin password which I do not know. Tried various sites to find the password but the problem got worse. Even tried downloading the file, but too techie for me. Any cure for this, before I have to format the drive? I must add that when booting through the original cd, it works fine although a bit unstable. The operating system is XP professional. I know it’s Jurassic, but I don’t need more.
Any help please? Thanks to all[/QUOTE]

Posted by linogatt

I know it’s Jurassic, but I don’t need more.

Its not that Jurassic, its Triassic, but then you don’t need more.:bigsmile::bigsmile:
Welcome to the forum and Happy Holidays.

Googling the “HAL.DLL missing” delivers a wide variety of possibilities. I’ve never had this mishap before, and I checked with the tech guys and they said, “Sometimes it’s a dual boot, sometimes it’s newly-installed hardware, new drivers…”

But they didn’t remember any specific solutions (other than the ubiquitous “Time for a clean re-install”. You do know how to save the Activation Key files, yes?)

LinoG, I had the feeling that you might google these issues AND if you find one that fits your circumstance, perhaps start again here and we can help.

There seems to be a variety of possibilities, each requiring a host of questions back to you first, though.