Dlink - Dir 300 Router Problem

vbimport

Hello,
Two years back I bought Dlink Dir 300 (Wifi Router) for about 40 US$. Everything was working OK, but now I have got a serious problem with it…

First of all I want to tell you that I live in Pakistan where Electricity Shortage is the biggest damn issues, electricity can go at any time in a day…

From last two years electricity goes two times a day, once in morning and once in evening for about 1.5hrs, and my router also shuts off and on with this electricity…

Now the problem:
Recently I have found that when electricity comes (and it come after long time 1hr+ approx) my router POWER LED and other LED’s don’t start instantly, like before…

My main POWER LED first glows very very very low but after 5minutes or so POWER LED glows bright like always, after this I restart my router and after this painful wait my ROUTER starts working 100%…

This is very annoying to me…
I have checked my DC adapter with a MULTIMETER it is rated to give 5.00Volts but it was giving me 6.24 Volts… (could this be the problem)?

What is the problem???
What should I do???
Please tell me should I open the router???
Should I buy a New DC ADAPTER ???

Note:
My WARRANTY has expired :frowning:

[QUOTE=fawzmasood;2534041]Hello,
Two years back I bought Dlink Dir 300 (Wifi Router) for about 40 US$. Everything was working OK, but now I have got a serious problem with it…

First of all I want to tell you that I live in Pakistan where Electricity Shortage is the biggest damn issues, electricity can go at any time in a day…

From last two years electricity goes two times a day, once in morning and once in evening for about 1.5hrs, and my router also shuts off and on with this electricity…

Now the problem:
Recently I have found that when electricity comes (and it come after long time 1hr+ approx) my router POWER LED and other LED’s don’t start instantly, like before…

My main POWER LED first glows very very very low but after 5minutes or so POWER LED glows bright like always, after this I restart my router and after this painful wait my ROUTER starts working 100%…

This is very annoying to me…
I have checked my DC adapter with a MULTIMETER it is rated to give 5.00Volts but it was giving me 6.24 Volts… (could this be the problem)?

What is the problem???
What should I do???
Please tell me should I open the router???
Should I buy a New DC ADAPTER ???

Note:
My WARRANTY has expired :-([/QUOTE]

For one thing you never stated you use a power protection surge strip so if you never used it and had it over there are chances the router has some electrical damage to its’ hardware that will no longer be able to fix. Yes and if you in different country you need to get proper voltage adapter to match your equipment to their electrical power and if not one or there will burn out or fail eventually because of improper voltage.

Thanks for reply and advice…

But tell me what should I do know… I will install “Surge Protection” as early as possible…

I feel that the problem is of DC ADAPTER but I fell that some of internal equipment is damaged, like I fell that may be a CAPACITOR is gone bad, what do you say ?

I have also RESET my router a couple of times but NO LUCK… :frowning:

Any guesses or advice or anything to fix this problem ???

First off, the 6V is perfectly fine. Even though its rated at 5V, when you measure it with a volt meter you are measuring the output with “no load” (ie. there is no power being drawn from the power adapter).

An even better option than just a surge protector would be a UPS (uninteruptable power supply), so when the power drops off you can safely turn off your PC (and router) without the risk of damaging power supplies or other electronics in the PC. This is an example of a good UPS CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD 1000VA 600 Watt UPS. Most routers come with software that can automatically shut it self off when the power turn off.

The fact that your router is not turning on when the power comes on probably has to do with how the power supply for the router is made, it simply doesn’t like the way the power is starting up from your power company.

thanks eric93se for USP advice…

But what should I do now to fix my router Problem ???

reboot it when the power comes back on. Or unplug it (power cord) before the power comes back on, then wait a few minutes (10 or so) till the power from the power company is stable, then plug the router in.

problem is still there ???

Okay so the power adapter might be bad, either replace it with a suitable one or have it fixed.

going tomorrow to buy and get adapter, will be back on SUNDAY !

very BAD …

no luck with adapter change…

I opened my D-Link router checked different components with MULTIMETER, again no LUCK !
Then I just touched two of the IC’s and they were dam dam hot, i think they are gone bad, and I think there is no one who can solve this problem or replace these IC’s…

Any advice or suggestion ???

2nd question is that is D-link is a really sh** company? are there devices not reliable ?

this router is about 15 months old …

anyway can you tell me a good WIFI ROUTER that is in the range of 30-40 $…
And 1 more thing about the New Router is that “IT MUST HAVE A POWER ON/OFF Button”, not like D-link dir 300 which didn’t have power on/off button and I have to pull out the POWER CABLE … ???

ahhh iam an 3rd year engineering student…

I dont have to buy a new router, will have to wait till DECEMBER 2010 :frowning: