[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-E10L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Howdy,
I have run into puzzling behavior while burning DL DVD's recently.
I have an LG GSA-E10L USB drive which I've had for a couple years and has been working fine with CD's and DVD's.
Recently I needed to burn a bunch of DVD-DL's, so I ordered some blank media and started burning. About 20 DVD-DL's in total. This was my first time burning DL media with this drive.
Later I went and popped those discs back in to read them and... alas, most of them won't read correctly. More specifically, I tried creating images of them to test each one of them, and the process fails for most discs, always at 50% progress.
I did some reading and realized I should have bought Verbatim media in the first place (which I have now just ordered) instead of EMTEC which was cheaper but produced a pile of coasters.
Still, I'd be curious to get some feedback from you guys about why in the world they all seem to have failed at 50%. Does it have something to do with the layer changing halfway through?
- Using a Macbook Pro, Mac OSX 10.5.5 and Toast Titanium 9.0.2
- EMTEC media was 8x, burned at 4x and 2x with the results above
- Some (a minority) of the discs burned AND READS OK (so the drive/software should be OK)
- All burns completed OK, however I didn't have Verification turned on and didn't realize what I was running into
- Trying to read (create an image) using the MBP's built-in drive also fails at 50%
- Haven't tried burning with the internal drive
I'm really curious about the 50% error spot. I'm looking forward to proper burns with Verbatim discs - hopefully...
Thanks for any clues guys!