DL DVD Disks

Hi

I have in my PC an unbranded (I believe it’s a Lite-on clone) DVD smart read/writer, which is supposed to cope with + & - disks (cd & dvd), DVD-RAM disks, and Dual Layer DVD’s. This has indeed been the case for some two years now without a problem (barring the occasional - rare - duff disk).
What’s your problem then I hear you ask. Well, I recently invested in 400 “Elite Ultra Premium 1-8x DVD+R DL” disks only to find that the writer won’t recognise them. (Neither will my Panasonic DVD Digi-box/Recorder, but the Sony HDD/Digibox/Recorder will!).

I had previously been using some unbranded DL disks (bar-code 5 060103 883745) which I bought at a Computer Fair and they are fine in all equipment.

Am I in need of new firm-ware: should I get a new DVD ROM for the PC, or just throw the disks away as a heap of…! I cannot find anything about the make anywhere, though I suspect they’re Ritek under a different name.

Any assistance would be useful.

Cheers

i8ubutler

Firmware may help, specially if it is some new disc, but if those are Ritek of any kind, specially DL, I do not think you will have much success with good burns.
If you can try them on some other burner (may be your friend has one) would be good, before purchasing a new one. Mind you, the new burners are not that expensive any more.

What’s your problem then I hear you ask. Well, I recently invested in 400 “Elite Ultra Premium 1-8x DVD+R DL” disks only to find that the writer won’t recognise them. (

I had previously been using some unbranded DL disks (bar-code 5 060103 883745)

Someone makes these discs. Get this app to figure out exactly who and compare the two:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

You’ll probably find the main difference is in the write speed. 8X DL are rather new and usually will not work in older burners.

Names like “Elite Ultra Premium 1-8x DVD+R DL” do not inspire confidence.

Post the results.

Hi Mystic Eyes

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the identifyer but of course the disk drive won’t recognise the disk at all so can’t tell me anything about it. (The read light on the drive just flashes on/off slowly all the time the dirk is in there).

I have had a dig about on the net through GSIUK - The global bar-code website and found that the disks are manufactured through E-net Computers, based in Abu Dhabi, with an outlet in Scotland. Not sure whether it will be ao any use to me but I’ll try contacting them, see if they have any suggestions, or are aware of any issues with these disks.

Otherwise it probably would be more effective just to buy a new DL DVD read-writer.

Cheers
i8ubutler

Well it would help to know who made them. Having 400 of them is a drag. If you knew who made them it would help in choosing a new burner.

but the Sony HDD/Digibox/Recorder will

So you are able to burn them in the Sony? Will your burner play one of these burns? I use ImgBurn and it will identify blank and burned discs.

You can check some reviews here:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

In their reviews they also test media (SL and DL), which helps in deciding which media to use. One size does [B]not[/B] fit all.