DL disc burning

vbimport

hi there.

this is my first time posting on this site and also my first time dabbling in burning dual layer dvds. i’m having quite a bit of trouble with it all, so here i am. i am trying to back up a copy of one of my dvds (i have a summer home and copy my entire library so as to have my movies there as well).

i’ve read a few of the posts on this site to try to get some help before i posted, but i’m still running into the same problems.

i’ve tried burning with sonic digital media and 1click dvd. but both times after burning, the only thing available on the disc was everything but the movie (menus, extras, etc.). when i select the “play movie” option from the menu it goes thru all the copy warning stills and then the screen just goes black. no movie begins to play. and if i try to choose a specific scene from the scene selection option in the main menu, nothing happens. it stays frozen on the selection menu.

i noticed after a few attempts at uploading the movie that the size of the copied file was only showing up as 2,563,412 kb on my hard drive. i know thats not right because the original movie itself is over 8,000,000 kb. so i’m assuming that is a clue, i just dont know WHY its only copying at that size.

i also tried using imgburn after reading some posts on this site. i followed some posted instructions and all seemed to go well. the disc copied to its full 8,255,232 kb onto my hard drive. but once i tried playing the finished copied disc after going thru all the motions of burning the disc - which, because this was a totally new software to me i can only assume i did correctly based on what i read on this site - it did the same thing i mentioned above. no actual movie was present on the disc.

i’m not sure what i could be doing wrong here. if anyone can offer me any advice, i’d really appreciate it.

thanks!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The most probable culprit is the disc. For Dual Layer media, the only reliable option is using Verbatim discs. All other brande has a widely variable quality from ugly to rather decent.

Try to use a Verbatim disc and see if this solve :slight_smile:

What are you using to decrypt and rip the original movie to the hard drive? If you are going for a full backup of the movie onto dual layer I suggest using DVDFab HD Decrypter and backup your dvd as an ISO file.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

To backup as an ISO, start DVDFab Decrypter, click on Full Disk, select your dvd drive as source, then click on the little blue icon at the end of the Target line. I’ve included an image of this icon you need to click on. Note where the ISO will be placed, and change that if you want. Then hit Start.

Once you have the entire movie on the hard drive as an ISO, start ImgBurn and burn to your dual layer disk. As Geno pointed out, only use Verbatim dual layer disks. Follow this guide for ImgBurn on burning image files: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

Burn the disk at 4x speed.

i have two decryption programs i use: anydvd and dvdshrink. but i am downloading dvdfab now and will try that. as for the discs, at all three places i checked, there were very few types fo discs available and verbatim (i think thats the one you guys mentioned) wasnt one of them. i’ve never even heard of that brand. but hopefully using dvdfab will help. but i’m thinking i’ll just get the same result…menu and extras, but no movie.

i’ll let you know.

thanks!

Don’t use DVDFab and AnyDVD at the same time. They don’t play well together.

Since you already have AnyDVD, you can also make the ISO image with ImgBurn if you prefer. Run AnyDVD in the background, and set ImgBurn to make an ISO image of the disk on the hard drive. Then burn to your dual layer.

Very important to use Verbatim DL disks by the way. Some people with very new drives have been reporting some, I must emphasize, [B]some [/B]success with other types of dual layer disks, but Verbatim is the only brand/type consistent enough for us to recommend. If you are in the US, you can find Verbatim at Best Buy.

i still have the iso file from when i tried it last time with imgburn. but it was thru this site that i learned how to use it and in the post i read it said NOT to use the iso file, but to use the mds file instead. thats how i burned it last time i tried. and as i said, it seemed to go well, but it turned out the same as the other two times i tried. all extas, no movie.

i’ll give the iso a try right now and see how THAT goes.

stay tuned…

Once you have the ISO made and on the hard drive, test it with VLC media player. It can play ISO files directly.

And they were right about using the mds file. ImgBurn will give you a nag message when you target the ISO file directly. :slight_smile:

ok i opened imgburn and tried to choose the iso image i want to burn and i get this error:

“you should have selected the mds file and not this one. i’ll do it automatically this time, but don’t do it again”

what now? should i try burning the iso using sonic?

if you mean play the file with vlc to test it, i did that and it does the same thing as it does when i burn it to disc and try to play it in my dvd player. it has all the menus and extras and stuff, but when i try to play the movie itself, it gets just past the warnings and nothing plays. once vlc even quit just after the warnings.

i dont get it…the iso image is over 8 mil k…that is the size the movie should be…so where is it??

Did you test the ISO to make sure it is working correctly in VLC?

That “error” is the nag message I mentioned earlier. Ignore it and it will load the mds file and burn to disk.

Play the ISO before wasting another disk!

i’m assuming ‘testing’ the file means playing it in vlc. in that case, see above post.

I was a minute too late. If the ISO file is screwing up, then the burned version of it on the disk will also. Don’t burn it and waste a disk.

ok so any idea what am i doing wrong with the iso image?

Which movie is this? You have the latest AnyDVD? Is this latest ISO from DVDFab or AnyDVD?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ISO file act like this.

the movie is ‘wall-e’. i decrypted it using anydvd 6.4.6.9 and then read it using imgburn. the iso is from imgburn.

in the log for imgburn, i do get a little warning saying:

“W 16:42:21 AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn’s ability to verify accurately, please ensure it’s disabled!”

but if i disable anydvd, imgburn wont work because it wont get around the protected disc.

Alright. Lets try a different tack. Don’t know that this will fix things, but it is another approach.

Rip to the hard drive in File Mode this time. Rip the entire movie using the built-in ripper in AnyDVD. (right click on the fox icon on the bottom right and it will give you the option to rip to the hard drive).

Test these ripped files with VLC. If it works post back.

If it doesn’t, run the files through FixVTS and lets see if that helps. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FixVTS

Edit: Imgburn always gives that nag message about AnyDVD. Can be ignored while making the ISO. Turn off AnyDVD while burning.

Second edit: Your version of AnyDVD is old. Latest is 6.4.8.5…long past time to update.

Latest version of AnyDVD may fix the entire problem. But an ISO created with the latest DVDFab should work too.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2160728]Alright. Lets try a different tack. Don’t know that this will fix things, but it is another approach.

Rip to the hard drive in File Mode this time. Rip the entire movie using the built-in ripper in AnyDVD. (right click on the fox icon on the bottom right and it will give you the option to rip to the hard drive).

Test these ripped files with VLC. If it works post back.

If it doesn’t, run the files through FixVTS and lets see if that helps. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FixVTS
QUOTE]

ok i ripeed using anydvd. and i ended up with like 11 “vob” files. i dont know what they are and their icons are the ones that you get when windows doesnt know how to handle them. so what do i do with all these?

First try playing the files with VLC. Within VLC hit open Directory, then browse to where the Video_TS folder is with your dvd files. See if it will play correctly now.

oh man i dont know WHATS going on now lol. are you on msn messenger or yahoo messenger?