DL copies do not work in Sony players

Don’t know the model #s without digging the units out of the entertainment center, but have the 300 and 400 disc Sonys and both play verb DL +R booktyped DVD-ROM just fine.
Try another ripping and burning program, see if that helps.:bigsmile:

[quote=G_Ivan Awfulitch;1971964]Don’t know the model #s without digging the units out of the entertainment center, but have the 300 and 400 disc Sonys and both play verb DL +R booktyped DVD-ROM just fine.
Try another ripping and burning program, see if that helps.:bigsmile:[/quote]

G_Ivan,
Thanks for the feedback. You are the first person I have heard from that could actually confirm that this thing actually play DVD+R DL disks.
I still have had no luck. I would grealty appreciate it if you could tell me a few things:
1] What is the model number of your 400 Disk unit?
2] What software did you use to burn the disks that worked?
3] What was the brand and model of the drive you used to burn the disks that worked?
4] What media did you use?
Thanks

I think I am closing in on this thing.
I spoke to a guy at Sony’s “Customer Satisfaction” center in Texas.
He said that their records indicate that the DVP-CX995V will play DVD+R DLs. He said you just have to make sure they are not recorded as “Video”, but as “RV”.
I asked him to explain. He said that all burning softawre would have that option.
I cannot find it in DVD Cloner 5.1.

I went back and looked at the Quality tests from the DL disks vs the single layer disks. Without exception, the single layer disks play in the DVP-CX995V and the DL disks do not.
I have noticed that the difference between the two disks is that the double layer disks almost always have a huge spike in PI failures at the start of the disk.
The single layer disks do not have this. If I re-run the qulaity tests, I can sometimes produce a DL test that does not have the spike, but most of them have it. None of the single layer quality test have it.

[FONT=Arial]In order to check if my problem was with the player, I went out and bought a DVD player that is widely reputed to play DVD+R DLs very well. I bought an RCA DRC290. Of the seven DL copies that I made, five would play in the DRC290, but the menus were all screwed up. If I could get to the movie, it would play just fine and it would look very good. This made me think that my problem was always at the beginning of the disk as the Quallity test seemed to show.

Here are some more screenshots of the quality test with the spikes:

Does anybody know where these spikes might come from?
[/FONT]

[QUOTE=sd_iconoclast;1971030][B]Are the MKM-001s available as DVD+R and DVD+R DL?[/B]
I had a great deal of trouble finding a store in San Digo that carries Verbatim, then the MKM-003s were the best I could find there.[/QUOTE]

???
MKM001 is DL only!!!

Get a better “player” or just buy a second original, wasting more DL would have the same effect in price.

My Sony 400 is a DVPCX985V, My son has the 995 he bought this at Frys this Christmas for $300. I pulled a couple of DL out of mine and put in his and they play fine.

The disc I have used are Verbatim MKM 001 and MKM003 (MIS). Burned on a Benq 1640 at 8X .

I use ANY DVD, and Clone DVD2. Once in a while I’ll run a full movie through DVD Shrink to get rid of some of the junk.

Oh yeah I quit scanning dvds a long time ago, I just use Verbatim and have a good stock of Sony 8x made in Japan.:bigsmile:

[quote=chef;1972608]???
MKM001 is DL only!!!

Get a better “player” or just buy a second original, wasting more DL would have the same effect in price.[/quote]

I did get a better player, An RCA DRC290. It plays most of the disks, but the menus are screwed up.

I would not mind replacing the Sony. DO you know of another 400 Disk Megachanger that WILL read DVD+R DLs?

[quote=G_Ivan Awfulitch;1972670]My Sony 400 is a DVPCX985V, My son has the 995 he bought this at Frys this Christmas for $300. I pulled a couple of DL out of mine and put in his and they play fine.

The disc I have used are Verbatim MKM 001 and MKM003 (MIS). Burned on a Benq 1640 at 8X .

I use ANY DVD, and Clone DVD2. Once in a while I’ll run a full movie through DVD Shrink to get rid of some of the junk.

Oh yeah I quit scanning dvds a long time ago, I just use Verbatim and have a good stock of Sony 8x made in Japan.:bigsmile:[/quote]

Thank you very much!
This gives me something to go on.
I think I will try software other than DVD Cloner 5.1.
I might try another burner too.

Your best option is to use booktype DVD-ROM on DVD+R DL media.

Thanks,
I am doing that. I may have forgotten to mention it

Finally, a breakthrough!
I tried burning my disks using Nero and DVD Shrink 3.2. The resulting disks work just fine in all my DVD players including the Sony DVP-CX995V Megachanger. Note that I only use DVD Shrink to create an ISO image. I do not use it to compress or delete any tracks. I have noticed some differences between the disks burned by Nero and DVD Cloner V:

1] Despite the fact that I included all tracks and turned off all compression in DVD Shrink, the size of the data burned to the Nero disk is slightly smaller. DVD Speed reports the nero disk to be 7.49 GB. The DVD Cloner disk is 7.51 GB.

2] The layer breaks are different, Nero disk: 3.75 GB, DVDC Disk: 3.98 GB.

3] The disks appear physically different. The burned are of the Nero disk appears lighter than that of the DVDC disk.

I have opened a ticket with DVD CLoner

Shrink typically will not set the layer break correctly. Use ImgBurn.

Regards

[quote=blutach;1975005]Shrink typically will not set the layer break correctly. Use ImgBurn.

Regards[/quote]

Thanks Les,

What are the consequnces of the layer break not being set correctly?
Do I need to worry if the layer break is not in the same location as on the original disk?

In this case, the disk created using DVD shrink is the one that works.

[QUOTE=sd_iconoclast;1975137]Thanks Les,

What are the consequnces of the layer break not being set correctly?
Do I need to worry if the layer break is not in the same location as on the original disk?

In this case, the disk created using DVD shrink is the one that works.[/QUOTE]

Use Imgburn, it will allow you to choose the best LB point.

The consequences are that the disk will not be compliant and that it may not cross the layer break correctly, or at all.

There are rules about layer breaks set down by the ECMA. DVD Shrink (and Ner0) do not honour these rules. ImgBurn does.

Regards