DL copies do not work in Sony players

I am using DVD-Cloner 5.1 (1:1 copy mode) to copy my DVDs for use in my Sony DVP-CX995V carousel. I have found that the double layer copies do not work in the CX995V or my Sony DVP-NC665P Player. However, they seem to work fine in my RCA DRC 247N player.
I am using a LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1P burner to create the copies. I have tried Matrix +R DL media and Sony +R DL media.
I have read through previous threads, and I will definitely try the Verbatim +R DL disks. However, I do not understand some of the other comments:
How can I tell if a firmware update is available?
Is the firmware update for the burner or the player?
How can “bookType” using DVD Cloner 5.1? Is other software required?
How and where do I set DMA mode vs PIO mode?
Your help would be appreciated.

I had 2 Sony DVD players and never like them too fussy with any DVDs

They play Verbatims flawlessly without a problem. If you have issues playing DL disks, it is undoubtedly your inferior media. Switch to Verbs, 2.4x, +R, MKM-001, made in Singapore.

Regards

My Sony plays anything flawlessly! As far as media it plays the so called crappy media too. :bigsmile:

[quote=blutach;1969522]They play Verbatims flawlessly without a problem. If you have issues playing DL disks, it is undoubtedly your inferior media. Switch to Verbs, 2.4x, +R, MKM-001, made in Singapore.

Regards[/quote]

Do you have a DVP-CX995V?

Which Sony do you have?

[QUOTE=sd_iconoclast;1969709]Which Sony do you have?[/QUOTE]
It’s a DVP-NS51P.

More info:
I went out and bought some verbatim DL disks and retried my 1:1 burn.
I also found that my LiteOn LH-18A1P was inserting the BookType “DVD +R DL”.
I used LiteOn’s utility to set the BookType to DVD_ROM.
I also upgraded my LiteOn’s firmware from “GLOC” to the latest “GLOF”.
This does not seem to have made any difference.
When I play the disk in my Sony DVP-CX995V, it will play the opening FBI warning, then it stops reading and skips to the next disk.
I ran a quality test on the disk using Nero CD-DVD Speed.
Here were the results:
General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1P
Firmware: GL0F
Disc: DVD+R DL (MKM 003)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 41
Average: 4.70
Total: 144463
PI failures
Maximum: 6
Average: 0.15
Total: 35858
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 16:44
Number of samples: 202479
Average scanning interval: 1.22 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

Here is the graph

Should I expect this disk to fail based on this Quality test?
Should I continue to suspect the Media?
Should I suspect the drive?
Can my Sony DVP-CX995V be adjusted or modified to fix the rpoblem?

I’d have to say that your PIEs are a little high at the start of the DVD (where I wouldnt expect this). Your PIFs are, too, but are within spec. Also, around the LB, they appear high. But this shouldn’t cause the machine to spit it out - does it play on other machines?

Is this blank made in Singapore or India? If the latter, get the former.

Regards

OK,
I have tried more things:
I looked at Sony’s website and founf that they had a firmware upgrade for the DVP-CX995V. I installed it. It did not help.
I bought a new DVD burner, a Lite-On LH20A1L. I burned a disk using the same Verbatim disks as before. The Quality of the burn seem fantastic (See image below). That did not work either.
The PI Errors and failures seemed very low on this latest disk. The only place with any kind of error was a narrow spike at the beginning. I have noticed that all the disks I burned have had very significant errors right at the beginning. This has been true depite using two different computers, three different burners, and three different brands of DVD +R DL media. Could this be my problem?
Does anyone know why this spike should occur given that the rest of the disk is so error free?
Can anyone see the problem?

[quote=blutach;1970334]I’d have to say that your PIEs are a little high at the start of the DVD (where I wouldnt expect this). Your PIFs are, too, but are within spec. Also, around the LB, they appear high. But this shouldn’t cause the machine to spit it out - does it play on other machines?

Is this blank made in Singapore or India? If the latter, get the former.

Regards[/quote]

All the disks I burned work on my RCA DVD player.
The blank is made in Singapore.
DVD Identifier reports the following about a blank disk:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-003-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

And I have now produced some very high quality copies (see the quality test in my last post). I am starting to think the problem is not the media.

Also, My DVP-CX995V does not seem to have any problem playing any brand of DVD+R. It is just the DVD+R DLs.

Any thoughts?

That spike makes the burn bad according to ECMA specs. It shouldn’t get your player in a huff though unless it is in a critical part of the DVD like the TOC or an IFO file (which it might very well be).

I use MKM-001s (2.4x) and burn at that speed. The MKM-003 do not have the same rep as the MKM-001s.

Regards

[QUOTE=blutach;1970744][color=blue I use MKM-001s (2.4x) and burn at that speed. The MKM-003 do not have the same rep as the MKM-001s.Regards[/color][/QUOTE]

how do u make the difference when buying ? i guess MKM-003 are made in india too :iagree:

No, not necessarily. All my MKM-001 are MIS and when I order from my online supplier, I specifically tell them no MII and only MKM-001s. They have never let me down.

Regards

[QUOTE=blutach;1970793]No, not necessarily. All my MKM-001 are MIS and when I order from my online supplier, I specifically tell them no MII and only MKM-001s. They have never let me down.

Regards[/QUOTE]

who are these good people :iagree: ?

The only MKM003s that i have seen so far, have been MIS.

[quote=blutach;1970744]That spike makes the burn bad according to ECMA specs. It shouldn’t get your player in a huff though unless it is in a critical part of the DVD like the TOC or an IFO file (which it might very well be).

I use MKM-001s (2.4x) and burn at that speed. The MKM-003 do not have the same rep as the MKM-001s.

Regards[/quote]

Are the MKM-001s available as DVD+R and DVD+R DL?
I had a great deal of trouble finding a store in San Digo that carries Verbatim, then the MKM-003s were the best I could find there.

Still more info:
It appears that I can get the spike at the beginning of my quality test to go away if I increase the spin up time from 10 seconds to 14 seconds.
I also believe that the PIF results were not as spectacular as they may have seemed.
It looks to me like the CDSpeed program did not rescale the numbers on the right hand side of the PIF graph when it rescaled the graph itself. Notice how the numbers on the right do not match up to the color bands of the graph.
The results were still awful darn good. They were just not as spectacular as they seemed.

Maybe the last word:
I called Sony’s tech support this morning.
It was cool that they were open Sunday.
It was not cool that they said that the DVP-CX995V will not play double layer DVDR’s period. They even went so far as to say that they did not guarantee that it would play single layer DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs.
However, the girl I was speaking with did not seem to understand the terms we were using. She just seemed to be consulting the same manual that came with the unit. Most of her arguement came from the line that states that Sony does not guarantee that the DVP-CX995V will play ALL DVDRs.
I did manage to get a number for their repair facility in Texas. I will try them later.

Gee, good luck with that. I know when I got my first player and burner, they said the player would only play pressed DVD-VIDEO. But, they were wrong and it happily plays +R and +R DL. The key is the reflectivity of the disc. If it is approx the same as a pressed DVD, it will play. +Rs tend to be more compatible than -Rs, too (booktyping and all that).

Regards