DIY computer help

vbimport

Well I’ve got everything down right except for the Heatsink and Heatspreader. I would really like to know which heatsink and heatspreader are the best, because I’m goin to be overclocking the CPU. I’d rather not break the CPU because of access heat. So far I’ve got a copper heatsink and Arctic Siliver III heatspreader, are these good choices?

One other thing that I forgot to mention was, do Asus motherboards support dual-channeling or is chipset related? If not then there isn’t much point in getting one when I can get one of equal price that supports dual-channeling.

the term isn’t “heatspreader,” it’s “thermal compound.” simply saying that the heatsink’s copper doesn’t provide much info, esp since most heatsinks are now copper. the typical rule of thumb with heatsinks is bigger = better. arctic silver 3 is a good thermal compound. dual channel memory is definitely chipset related.

What kind of CPU do you want to cool?

P4, Athlon XP or Athlon 64?

I’m trying to cool a P4 proccessor, but would it really matter all that much on which proccessor I was trying to cool?

Hello are there any tips that I should know, like what to use???

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/spark/spark7plus.htm

Best value and quality for a P4 heatsink (IMO).

It has a full copper heatsink with a smart fan - i.e. it can be controlled by temperature (via an included probe), or with a controller (also included - mounts in PCI slot). I used to have this heatsink and found it to be really worth the $35, but now I have water cooling ;).

Hope this helps!

Edit:

If you want to really overclock but don’t want to pay for watercooling…may I recommend this?

Wow that second one looks awsome, but a heafty price comes with all that cooling power. The other one seems pretty good, and I found it for around $15 so I’ll probably use that. I can use that really good one when I make my own computer, cause I’ll be overclocking like hell on that.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
I’m trying to cool a P4 proccessor, but would it really matter all that much on which proccessor I was trying to cool?

Well yes… every socket has its specific cooling… (although slot 1 and slot a, as well ass socket 370 and socket 462 are compatible).

One last thing I need to know, are the overclocking options on the Asus motherboards chipset related or do they come on all the boards?

Neither. It depends on the motherboard manufacturer.