DIVX / XVID to DVD Format?

Hi Guys!

I have a few videos in DIVX and XVID format. I want to watch them in my TV but my DVD Player doesnt support either of the formats. Which is the bst software that can convert the same into DVD format without any quality loss.

Thankyou.

What is your budget? There are free conversion tools available, like SUPER, but I’m not sure you’ll like the end result. Here is the download site: http://www.erightsoft.com/S5E01.html

If you are willing to pay for an mpeg2 encoder, look at TMPGenc Plus 2.5 The downloaded version is $37 http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tp.html
You might run into some problems with this encoder not recognizing some xvid files, but there are a few tutorials at www.videohelp.com that can point you in the right direction if you run into problems.

But you said you want the best. Cinema Craft Encoder Basic is not extremely expensive, and faster than TMPGenc, but not very newbie friendly. Look through some of the tutorials at videohelp.com

And if you’re interested, the full version of CCE is somewhere around $2000 dollars I think. Others include MainConcept and ProCoder 2 at $150 and $500 respectively.

Sure you don’t want to invest in a cheap dvd player that can play xvid and divx files?

Oh, and you might want a dvd authoring program as well—so you can put several mpeg2 files on a disk with a menu. TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6 is a relatively inexpensive one. And there are a couple of free ones available—gui for dvdauthor and DVDAuthor GUI. Haven’t used them, so I have no idea how well they work.

You also asked for “no quality loss” I am afraid that any conversion you do an any video format will suffer a quality loss whether this is exeptable to you is for you to decide. You will also find that on films that were about 700megs after conversion will need a 8gig dvd to fit on. I agree a cheap new dvd player sounds like a good idea to me.

I use VSO ConvertXtodvd with very good results. You can set the maximum size you want the output to be and the quality is very good.

Just tried ConvertXtodvd but I can’t find any way to set the output size only basic quality settings.
using Ver. 2.0.15.136

Are you using the trial or registered version? In my registered version, it is in settings/encoding and there are four settings in there:

Log engine messages
Encoding quality/speed
Target size
Conversion priority

I don’t know if all of these options show up in the trial version.

DIVX / XVID to DVD,in my opinion,winavi is the fastest software which i used.
It has a powerful AV compress engine can complete a whole AVI movie conversion and burn it to DVD just in 1 hour.It’s cheap too.Maybe you can try it.

You are right, can’t see for looking!!!

Ok guys, I have a XVID encoded AVI file. It’s bitrate is about 850. Now, when I convert the same to DVD using TMPGEnc and keep the output DVD bitrate to be the same, the final output turns out to be horrible. Why is this so. When the bitrate is kept the same, I guess the quality should also be the same…

To get dvd quality the bitrate has to be higher. Usually in the 3000 range. This is the Freeware version of divxtodvd.

It doesn’t work that way. The mpeg2 files will have to have a higher bitrate and a resulting larger size file. When I convert xvid to mpeg2 I usually use 2 pass vbr with average bitrate of 6000, max 7500-8000 or so and a minimum of 1500. But I’m not too worried about the size of the resulting mpeg file, since the only xvids I have worked with have been fairly small—in the 350mb range. The mpeg2 files, using ac3 audio, work out to about 2.1 gb each.

I use ProCoder2 instead of TMPGenc, and the quality on these mpegs is very good. I’m sure TMPGenc will be very close in quality using the same settings, but the resulting files may be too big for you. You can experiment a little and see if somewhat lower bitrates will produce acceptable results for your taste. I’m not sure I’d go down to 3000 though—maybe 4500.

That’s where bitrate calculators come in handy…