DivX to SVCD audio sync problem when played on DVD player

vbimport

Ok, I’ve played plenty of SVCDs on the dvd player I have with no problems whatsoever. However, when I convert DivX to SVCD I get audio sync problems. When I play the SVCD cd-r on my computer with power dvd, the audio is fine. It seems weird that my standalone player would work fine for SVCDs that I didn’t encode and then screw up on ones that I did. Any ideas?

I think you have answered your own question:
“It seems weird that my standalone player would work fine for SVCDs that I didn’t encode and then screw up on ones that I did”

What are you using to encode from DivX to SVCD?

I’ve been using the tutorial. Keep in mind that the actual discs that I produce play fine on my computer w/ powerDVD. It seems that in the past I’ve used the tutorial w/ no problems.

How is the audio out ? Is it by a set amount or is it okay at the start and slowly goes out as the movie plays, getting worse as it plays.

Are the svcd’s that play ok on you DVD Player, are they CBR or VBR ?

Was the audio 44.1khz or 48khz ?

It seems to be off by a set amount all the way through. It’s really bad at the beginning and really bad at the end. Also, there seems to be some chops in the video at times as well.

The audio was 48khz on the ones I’ve converted

I was using multipass vbr (4 passes)

What bitrate is the audio at? High high can cause problems, to low can cause problems also. 192 or 224 is always best.

The audio bitrate was at 192kbps. I found out what the problem was though, they were PAL DivXs. Is there anyway I can convert PAL DivX to NTSC?

If its PAL, you should leave it at PAL. Your DVD player will probably play it fine.

If not, then check out http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html

Well what about this, when I did the conversion I didn’t realize it and calculated the dimensions by hand with the formula for NTSC(720/x)*y/1.1. I don’t really see how that would screw up the audio sync and make it play choppy though.

What DVD player are you using as my Toshiba 330 (similar to 220)sometimes has sync problems which can be fixed by pressing the ANGLE button twice. This is a well known quirk with this player

It is a pioneer dv-341