Divx subtitles site

vbimport

I’m looking for a good eng subtitles archive for divx…
Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by darksail
[B]I’m looking for a good eng subtitles archive for divx…
Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance. [/B]

Sounds kinda illegal to me…if you own the movie then the subtitle option should be in the original movie (like dvd)…am i right?

Yeah, but if you want to include them in a divx, you may want to have them as an SSA or SRT file as plain text, especially if you want to mux them directly into an AVI file.

This is a lot of work (especially if you have something like italic font in french); you always must fix a lot of misdetected letters.

So downloading such subtitles is not necessarily illegal. I assume for now that darksail owns all the movies he needs subtitles for and just wants to avoid some work

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]Yeah, but if you want to include them in a divx, you may want to have them as an SSA or SRT file as plain text, especially if you want to mux them directly into an AVI file.

This is a lot of work (especially if you have something like italic font in french); you always must fix a lot of misdetected letters.

So downloading such subtitles is not necessarily illegal. I assume for now that darksail owns all the movies he needs subtitles for and just wants to avoid some work [/B]

Thanks for clearing that up :slight_smile:

I should add that this was my personal opinion, which is not exactly based on much knowledge about difficult legal matters…

Originally posted by alexnoe
I should add that this was my personal opinion, which is not exactly based on much knowledge about difficult legal matters…

Well then I should also add that it is my personal opinion that whichever website that provides subtitles is in a ‘grey’ area, and while what darksail intends to do might not be totally illegal, one might question the existence of websites that provide such service (subtitles) without references to the legality of such action.

Since I’m assuming you own the movies, http://www.divxsubtitles.net/index.php will help. They require a (free) registration, but have subtitles in several formats for most major movies.

I’m not sure if they send spam, so you might want to use a fake e-mail address for signing up.

3 words. Do it yourself. Subs from these shady subtitle sites are so bad it’s not even funny. The worst part is they split it up to two parts. Who the hell watches their divx in two parts? This ain’t VCD! Anyway, if you want sub, do it w/ SubRip (google it). Takes ten minutes at most and it comes in SRT, aka Text, format.

Most of the subtitles from the aformentioned site a quite good. Certainly better than any reasonable-time SubRip extraction.

Then if it’s the case and he’s creating his own DivX/Xvid from his legally bought DVD’s I strongly recommend using VobSub to extract the subtitles directly from the movie.

The main advantage of this method is that you don’t have to deal with SubRip and later correcting OCR mistakes. :smiley:

Instructions :
Install VobSub (use your favourite search engine)
Run rundll32 vobsub.dll,Configure
Press “Open” and select the main .IFO of the movie
Select the subtitles you want to rip (or just press OK to rip 'em all)
Select a directory to save them
Wait until the program finishes
You can select the default location of the subtitles, if you want, but it’s not needed

This produces 2 files a .idx and a .sub, rename them to match the name of the movie (for example is the movie is “Pelicula.Avi”, you’ll have to rename them to “Pelicula.idx” and “Pelicula.Sub”).
Burn them together with the movie (takes about 10 mb for a 160 min movie with 3 subtitles, including VobSub redistributables).
In the client PC, install VobSub and open the movie with your favourite media player, enjoy! :cool:

Whoa, that looks so “easy” I might have to ditch my SubRip method and use VobSub from here on out. But… but… w/ the subs at 10MB each, I’m afriad I won’t be able to squeeze them into the 650MB CDs w/ the divx file like I used to w/ the 150kb srt files I made using SubRip. Oh, the irony… Guess I’ll have to stick w/ SubRip then.

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
Most of the subtitles from the aformentioned site a quite good. Certainly better than any reasonable-time SubRip extraction.

Really? 'cause I want to be a lazy bum too and download some subs from this excellent site you speak of. Unfortunately, you sounds like the only person who can get in…

reasonable-time…:confused: I wonder what that phase translates to in “put foreign language here.”

Takes ten minutes at most and it comes in SRT, aka Text, format.
Ever tried that with french?
Example: if you have an ï, it will detect the left dot as single letter. You cannot apply the entire letter to it, because the right dot is the same. So all you could do is assigning the entire letter to everthing which is beneath the dots.
But then, î is misdetected. Last time I tried it I ended up in {\i1}et entraiîne l’Europe dans la guerre.{\i0} and il est de mon devoir d’inviter
la fille de mon héros à diîner pour
It really takes some time to fix all that (and why is it mon héros…)

It takes some time to repair SubRip outputs. Really.

reasonable-time… I wonder what that phase translates to in “put foreign language here.”
:confused:

Originally posted by Stoner
Whoa, that looks so “easy”

It really is, less than 5 minutes in most cases, no matter how many subtitles you want in the movie
[B]

I might have to ditch my SubRip method and use VobSub from here on out.
[/B]

Actually it’s up to you, if you have enough time to correct subtitles, then use Subrip.
The VobSub method is much faster and effective hands down (no correcting at all!) and 10 mb for subtitles in 3 languages in a 3 hour movie (that you should probably encode in 2 cd’s to get a good quality) is not much at all
[B]

But… but… w/ the subs at 10MB each, I’m afriad I won’t be able to squeeze them into the 650MB CDs w/ the divx [/B]

It’s not 10 Mb EACH sub, 3 Subs in 3 Langs = 10 Mb
1 Sub only it’s about 3,3 Mb in this movie and I needed less than 3 minutes to get them ready to use

Anyway, let’s face the 10 Mb case, a few solutions to this :

• Overburn (10 Mb is not that much, even my cheap “Nikita” media can cope with that)
  • Use 700 Mb media
  • You’re encoding the movie, right ?, then select a final size 10 mb lower, that shouldn’t affect the quality that much
    [B]

file like I used to w/ the 150kb srt files I made using SubRip. Oh, the irony… Guess I’ll have to stick w/ SubRip then.[/B]

Your rip, your choice.
I couldn’t agree more with alexnoe, getting proper subtitles is not a 10 minutes task, sometimes I get so tired of correcting “I”'s and “l”'s and “ñ” and “n”, italics, portuguese, etc, etc, that makes me want to throw all away, in that cases VobSub really does the trick… :wink:

PS: I’m a “Rookie” now,… cool! :cool:

dvd.box.sk has a nice subtitle archive. be sure you get the right framerate or it might get out of sync.

Originally posted by Stoner
Whoa, that looks so “easy” I might have to ditch my SubRip method and use VobSub from here on out. But… but… w/ the subs at 10MB each, I’m afriad I won’t be able to squeeze them into the 650MB CDs w/ the divx file like I used to w/ the 150kb srt files I made using SubRip. Oh, the irony… Guess I’ll have to stick w/ SubRip then.

Vobsub-files (.sub) compress really well using winrar. Try it. And guess what? Dvobsub can read the subtitles straight from the rar-file, while playing the movie! Just don’t use the ‘delta-compression’ feature that’s in Winrar 3.0 and later…
Make sure all the filenames (the .sub in the .rar, the rar itself, the .idx, .ifo and the .avi) are the same (at least the part before the extension that is) or Dvobsub won’t be able to find them.

Here are some more great subtitle sites:

http://users.pandora.be/black.phantom/
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/dodewaard/
http://www.divxsubtitles.net/index.php
http://members.home.nl/doedee/subtitles.htm
http://dvd.box.sk/
http://www.ondertitels.nl/

good luck!

here an aother subtitles site:

and for the subtitles also can use BS Player, is totally automatic

here another site with subtitle to download:
www.worlddivx.it