Divx problem, not a newbie question

vbimport

i'm very familiar with divx, i have divx 3.11 and divx 4.11 on my comp. I've encoded wih it, watched divx movies, done everything, and now its spazzy. I have pictures to show you
.as you can see the quality of playback is low, these are movies i encoded myself in divx 4.11. The work perfectly on all ther computer i have. But on here, they look like crap. I have 1 divx 3.11 movie and it works fine. I can't figure it out.

So if someone has had a similar experience could you please give me some advice and help on how to fix this.

TIA.

I edited this post cuz i tried to insert pics of my hd, and it didn't work, and i don't have a webpage to put them on, so how to let you guys see these pictures???

Have you tried switching the DirectShow playback filter on the troublesome computer? To FFDShow maybe?

On an unrelated note: Why DivX 4? DivX 5 is better. I can see DivX 3.11 for Nandub, biut why one would use DivX 4 anymore is a mystery to me (Not as good as SBC).

the only reason i’m using divx 4 instead of 5 is b/c:

1. I run some of these movies on another slower computer
  2. I’ve been kind of lazy
  3. I don’t want to mess with the stupid gain gator bullcrap

But, its not like i’m against divx 5.

and by the way, how do i change the filter in wmp 6.4?

if you want to use divx 5, make sure and use a firewall…deny internet access to “gain trickler” and go to www.doom9.org for tips on how to clean up the spyware part of the codec. there is a very good forum for this type of stuff on that site

and by the way, how do i change the filter in wmp 6.4?

You can just install FFDShow, and select it from the GUI, or use a FOURCC changer to change the FourCC to XviD, and see if XviD’s filter will work.

If this doesn’t work, I’ve got no idea. (I never used DivX 4 that much; SBC always gave me better quality. Now I use DivX 5 with RC averaging set to half the number of frames, and it gives me better quality than everything else.)

DivX 4 IS SBC … and IMO better than DivX 3.11 … !!

However DivX 5.02 Beats them both by a mile.

DivX 4 is VBR, like SBC. SBC is now used only describing DivX 3.11a, using Nandub.

Most people think that DivX 4 wasn’t as good as SBC. A few still think that SBC has better quality than DivX 5 (Often using the argument that releases are often SBC, despite the statements of many releasers to the contrary [I’m talking quality-wise, not saying that they encode with others]. It’s generally accepted to wait until XviD reaches an official non-alpha version).

I personally think the best quality is DivX 5, with B-Frames, GMC, psychovisual enhancements, max quant 10, and the RC averaging period set to 1/2 the total frames (I used to use total frame RC averaging, but the only difference was that it was grainier).

I also use FFDShow for watching movies (Hell, 1,000 fps without breaking a sweat :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ).

thanks for the help i got it to work!! Yipee, know i can watch my movies:bow:

DivX 4 IS SBC … and IMO better than DivX 3.11 … !!
However DivX 5.02 Beats them both by a mile.

A lot of people would disagree with that.
SBC (DivX 3.11) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then the DivX 4 or 5 for that matter.
The only good thing about DivX 4 & 5 is that they encode a lot faster then 3.11. But I prefer quality over a few hours saved in encoding times…

Originally posted by Fryng

A lot of people would disagree with that.

It depends on the movie.

But by and large, a DivX 5 encode will look better than an SBC encode, but both will almost always look better than a DivX 4 encode.

And “Well, the release scene uses it, so it must by better” doesn’t count as a reason. The “scene” also uses ABR Mp3 radium, not VBR lame.

By fiddling with B-Frame quant multipliers, RC averaging, min/max quants, Log editing, you can get better quality with DivX 5, most of the time.

Maybe, guess just always had bad experiences with DivX 5: Grainy movies & compression artefacts even at high bit rates and setting similar you’ve described.

I don’t want to turn this into a debate wether or not DivX 5 is better than 3.11 (been there done that). For now I’ll just stick with nandub and lame.

PS: I don’t care what the “scene” does or doesn’t do; only care about quality… :bigsmile:

Even more, AVI format does not allow non-linear decompression methods, such as B frames! DivX5 is violating AVI format specs!

Originally posted by alexnoe
Even more, AVI format does not allow non-linear decompression methods, such as B frames! DivX5 is violating AVI format specs!

Those god-awful specs…

What on earth would instill them to create a format so terrible that it would be incompatible even with existing ones! That are already the standard!