Divx movies,(.avi or .mpg)

vbimport

I have a growing library of image and video files on CD and over 1,000 vhs tapes, mostly tv shows going back almost 20 years.
Divx is used for a lot of files I get off the internet, my computer is allergic and windows explorer closes down if I try to play any videos that are Divx.
It seems to have started with some automatic update/service pack thing in the past month.
I still want the videos. And I want to view them without my computer fainting on me.
Can I convert the divx files to another format?
what would be best, for quality? for reasonable file size?
What is the difference between DivX and XVid?
Since it is mostly for viewing on my pc, I don’t necessarily care about VCD or DVD video; and I have tried to burn various mpgs and avis with mixed results.
I use zoom player, and vlc player to view. I have Xilisoft video and dvd software, also, convertXto DVD, I just downloaded vcdgear, and am trying to learn VDub to edit and correct the videos.
Are there any guidelines, like what should I convert the divx files to so my computer won’t freak out when I want to play them?

Thanks, I appreciate any info you can give me.

Typically if Explorer crashes when opening an avi file it’s down to a corrupt codec.

I experienced this when my Xvid codec became corrupt. Uninstalling & physically deleting any remaining files & then re-installing was what I had to do.

From one of the sites I visited :
Just installing the latest version of the XviD codec over the old one won’t fix the problem as it doesn’t remove the old files and registry settings. You first need to uninstall all previous versions of the XviD codec and verify that the problem goes away.
They give directions to install/uninstall codecs:
Click on Start > Run…
• To install the files, type: regsvr32 filename.dll or regsvr32 filename.ax
• To uninstall the files, use: regsvr32 -u filename.dll or regsvr32 -u filename.ax

I looked in the System 32 folder and found .dll and .ax files listed
DivX.dll 677 6/9/2005 1:32 PM
divx_xx0c.dll 672 5/4/2005 6:12 PM
divx_xx07.dll 672 5/4/2005 6:12 PM
divx_xx11.dll 656 5/4/2005 6:12 PM
divxdec.ax 217 4/6/2005 4:36 PM
DivXMedia.ax 349 6/6/2005 2:13 PM

xvid.dll 416 11/25/2002 7:53 PM
xvidcore.dll 744 12/30/2005 8:10 PM
xvidvfw.dll 176 12/30/2005 8:18 PM
xvid.ax 76 12/30/2005 8:16 PM
I tried right-clicking the files> properties, but I don’t know what “version” of the files I have. I thought a clue would be in the Date Modified column, so I included it.
What I see is that these files were installed sort of in clumps, over a period of time. Am I supposed to keep a diary or something?
How can I figure out which of these constitute the DivX (or XVid) codec?
And, how do I determine if a file is corrupted?
What are the other related files? Will any file related to the DivX or XVid codecs have “divx” or “xvid” in the file name?

That was the assumption I worked on when removing Xvid.

Thanks - I am removing the DivX files first, so here’s hoping :slight_smile:
(I asked the dumb question with the obvious answer just in case there was some other related file without DivX in the name… I am doing stuff I never did before.)

We all do that at some time. :slight_smile: