Divx in VideoFab Converter - really?

Greetings,

I have a couple of DVD players that also play Divx files. I use them a lot.

I have had good results using both ‘Pocket Divx’ and ‘Iriverter’ to convert files to Divx, burn on DVD and play on my players.

I cannot locate a Divx option in my VideoFab Converter, or in DVDFab.

I have tried the h264 and the xvid in Converter with ‘Cannot play this file’ results.

Any assistance is appreciated, thanks for your time.

Try the Archos 605 or Archos 320 profiles in the PVP device of DVDFab. I’ve never looked for it in VideoFab. Unless your player is very picky, they should work. They make AVI files.

Update note :

I just received a reply from DVDFab tech support on this issue :

====================================================
We have no DivX decoder now. We use Xvid decoder now and it is compatible with DivX. We will support DivX decoder in future version. Please convert the files into other formats in Generic option to see the result.

In other words, it says it has Divx, but it doesn’t. Xvid isn’t Divx.

When I first saw this, my first thought was …

“My new car doesn’t have any brakes, you said it had brakes before I bought it.”

“We know. We plan on putting brakes on your car at a later date. In the meantime, please try to stop your car using other methods.”

Acckk…

Have you tried my suggestion?

I have tried EVERY available profile in Converter with the following results …

One of my players ( the Panasonic ) is pretty happy with all except h.264 and Xvid.

The other is more on the picky side. It’s a Toshiba LCD TV with built in DVD player w/Divx. It has been able to play ONLY the iriver profile.

At least that’s something!

I would have just continued on with iriverter or PocketDivx except that PocketDivx doesn’t do wmv files, and iriverter locks up with them.

Is there a way to utilize external codecs with the converter?

Until I find a more palatable solution, I will trudge along using the iriver profile.

Thank you for your time and attention. It is appreciated.

My Pioneer standalone won’t play jack from disc except DVD, but will play any of the xvid AVIs or h264 MP4s from a flash drive in its USB port. The MP4s look pretty good on the widescreen. Sorry it is not working for you. VideoFab is very new and many improvements are planned. Hang in there and watch all the release notes when they update it for something that might help, a fix or a new feature.

@ljtexiera
What might work is changing the tag of the xvid AVI files to make them “appear” as divx. This is what axxo does for example in his rips so that they play in the vast majority of stand-alone divx players.

You need to change the tag in the AVI file to [B]DX50[/B]. This is known as the [B]fourcc[/B] tag

Google on how to do that. Its quite easy and involves a very small fourcc code changing program, takes 2 seconds to do.

Hope it works for you. If it does, give out a cheer :wink:

[quote=Guzeppi;2228867]@ljtexiera
What might work is changing the tag of the xvid AVI files to make them “appear” as divx. This is what axxo does for example in his rips so that they play in the vast majority of stand-alone divx players.

You need to change the tag in the AVI file to [B]DX50[/B]. This is known as the [B]fourcc[/B] tag

Google on how to do that. Its quite easy and involves a very small fourcc code changing program, takes 2 seconds to do.

Hope it works for you. If it does, give out a cheer ;)[/quote]The fourcc can be set in the DVDFab profile and requires no additional software to change other than a text editor. Many of the profiles already have a fourcc of DIVX; not sure about DX50. Easy enough to try.

[QUOTE=signals;2228968]The fourcc can be set in the DVDFab profile and requires no additional software to change other than a text editor. Many of the profiles already have a fourcc of DIVX; not sure about DX50. Easy enough to try.[/QUOTE]

Was just answering in strictly technical terms irrelevantly of the software. My mistake (didn’t know what DVDFab is capable of in this case). Although I would assume that the user would have to PURPOSELY change the fourcc as this would not be default.

So, therefore, my advice to try and change the fourcc code to DIVX or DX50 still stands and I can join with Signal in saying … Try it out :wink:

If it works give out a shout.

[quote=Guzeppi;2228985]
If it works give out a shout.[/quote]Also if it doesn’t. Good info to know either way.

Thanks folks, will give it try. I’ll let ya know.

Again, thanks for the replies!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am flabergasted.

That worked!

I copied the ‘xvid’ profile in Videofab Converter, changed the fourcc from ‘xvid’ to ‘DX50’, and it WORKS. It plays on both players that would not play the ‘xvid’ profile.

I can honestly say that I am disapointed in the players that check that field and then say “I cannot play this file” without even trying.

Quitters …

Thank you … that’s … uhm … both weird AND awesome!

Seriously, thank you. I owe you a Coke.

What can I say?

Happy for you mate! Trawling the net has its uses LOL!!

Well done, enjoy your movies :slight_smile:

Perhaps this fourcc code should be included in the fab profiles right out of the box for maximum compatability with DivX stand-alones.

I agree. It should be included as a generic Divx profile. Of course, it is on my machine now!

And as we all know, trawling the net has both saved me and caused me untold hours of frustration and grief!

[QUOTE=ljtexeira;2230451]And as we all know, trawling the net has both saved me and caused me untold hours of frustration and grief![/QUOTE]yup there are some pretty knowledgeable members here :slight_smile:

Here are two profiles that will make xvid AVIs with a FOURCC of DX50. The first is audiocopy, preserving the original DVD audio; the second provides MP3 audio if the volume is not high enough with audiocopy. They will both install as a new device (“DX50”) that will appear in the DVD to Mobile menu pane.

To install, download to the Program Files\DVDFab 5\Profiles folder and change the file suffix from txt to xml. Follow the instructions in the tutorial for adding new devices: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsCustomizeUI , scroll down. You can choose which profile to use with the drop down or if you always use the same one, select it and click the Set As Default button on the Conversion Settings page. It should look something like the attached.

I have no idea if these will work on your player, but I tried them and the files playback fine on my PC with VLC.

DX50.avi.xvid.mp3.txt (979 Bytes)

DX50.avi.xvid.audiocopy.txt (615 Bytes)

hi,

Sorry for reply this late, and very happy to see the problem has been solved, some player just decide the file is ok or not by the Fourcc.

Xvid codec will create the compatiable MPEG4 video stream and which can be decoded by most Divx player.

Thanks the profile from Signals, I will add this profile in next version.

:slight_smile: