Divx (GAIN) SUCKS!

Can anyone one say Spyware? I don’t care if Divx has a disclaimer. Dixv is still shadey. Divx is a good program in itself but I’m a man of principle. I’ve chosen to not use Divx as oppsed to disableing the GAIN software. The disclaimer does not make the malicious activity of GAIN obvious to the novice compter users. Principle man… Screw Divx!!!

There’s always DivX 3.11 :slight_smile:
Or XviD.

DivX is very open about it’s spyware. Look at it from their point: not make a new version at all, or put in spyware.

Or XviD.

:bigsmile:

Just download nimo codec pack, you have all the codecs without the spyware. You also have audiocodecs, g400 for matrox,… All in one pack!!! If that ain’t great!!!

Hope this will help you “spyware haters” out

Originally posted by Meniak
[B]Just download nimo codec pack, you have all the codecs without the spyware. You also have audiocodecs, g400 for matrox,… All in one pack!!! If that ain’t great!!!

Hope this will help you “spyware haters” out [/B]

DivX 5.01, woohoo! A suboptimal version.

PS. If it doesn’t include spyware, it doesn’t have DivX Pro.

PPS. The Nimo pack just plain sucks. It causes so many incompatibilities I don’t want to list them.

Had problems with audio that didn’t came through, or just movie and no audio, I now have nimo, and it plays all my movies pretty smooth. Have a matrox g400, sometimes there were glitches in the movie, but with the g400 prog that all changed. Have another question though! My other pc is a amd duron 800, ecs k7vza motherboard and a Geforce 2 mx 400 with tv-out. I had this problem when I upgraded my detonator drivers. I now have v. 41.09. When I watch a divx I only get movie on the primary monitor. With a dvd it plays fine on both monitors. I know I didn’t have that problem wit detonator v. 23.09?(I guess! Know it was 20 something) Asked it on another forum, I know it’s off topic, but I hope someone can solve this problem!

THX

have a nimocodec build 8 and it says it installs divx codec 5.02! Are you saying it actually install divx 5.01 instead of 5.02???

btw, fixed the dual monitor problem, geforce can do the same thing as a matrox, play a movie on 1 screen, and let you work on the other. Great!!!

Originally posted by Meniak
have a nimocodec build 8 and it says it installs divx codec 5.02! Are you saying it actually install divx 5.01 instead of 5.02???

I think B8 has 5.02, but B7 (stable) has 5.01. Mot sure about the exact numbers, though.

i find divx 3.11 the best

SBC

go to www.doom9.org and check out his guide for divx 5…he tells you how to get rid of the crap that the pro version installs using adaware. that’s what I use.

I encoded my first XviD recently, turned out rather good. Equals DivX (3-5) in quality with less bitrate… OT :slight_smile:

let’s face the truth: if u rip a movie not longer than… let’s say 2 hours to 2 cds, then you won’t find much problems with any encoder, divx 3.11/3.22/4.sth/5.0.x or xvid.

just my 0.02€…

now everybody start a flame! :bigsmile:

If you’re just gonna put 1 hour of video onto 1 CD, then you cannot fail :slight_smile:
Unless you use a redicilous sound bitrate…

The best way to disable all GAIN from DivX 5.01 Pro is to:

1. Find all registry keys and folder that say “Gain”, “Gain_trickler.exe” and “Gator” and DELETE THEM
    EXPORT THE REGISTRY FIRST IN CASE!!!

2. In msconfig.exe, you should find “GAIN_trickler.exe”. Uncheck the value to disable startup (this will prevent error messages, if any).

3. In Windows 2000 and XP, “GAIN_trickler.exe” is a process under the PROCESS tab. End the task if the above didn’t work.

Hope this helps!!! It did for me!

Regards, and you may PM me with questions (or post).

I also forgot to mention portmac’ssite…
It has really good infor for beginners and those that need help.
Excellent results too! Read “DivX Instructions” on this link:

DivX Instructions

Regards.

Check out the instructions on the following site:

cexx.org/startup.htm

The Gator I got with DivX was showing up in task manager as CMESys. I just killed it then went and first deleted, then replaced the executable at C:\Program Files\Common Files\CMEII\CMESys.exe with the dummy renamed to CMESys.exe

DivX was happy – but it did not change my mood much – I think I only got rid of the pop-ups.

Why bother installing DivX™ 5.X when you have XviD? If you need to playback clips made by 5.X then ffdshow works perfectly fine.
//Danne

The latest Xvid codec now asks when istalling if you want it to be used for DivX 3.11, 5, etc so thats all you need.

My own experiences show what ffdshow has greater compatiblity and has better postprocessing than XviD (if you care about stuff like that). Dev-api4 (1.0) is great in some areas compared to dev-api3 but worse in others such as compatibility with older releases.
//Danne