Divx converter, not multi threaded?

I bought divx converter from the divx website, and at the moment, its using 100% of only one of the cores, wtf?? I use dvd shrink and that uses both cores. What kind of multi threaded support are they referring to on their website when you buy this thing? The non existant kind? Whats up with this crapola? I’ve got an x2 4600.

Any ideas? :a

If it’s really pegging one core at 100%, then it’s doing better than most single-threaded apps. Most will only hit about 70% on one core. I’m guessing that the other core is running about 20-30% during a conversion. All in all, it’s doing pretty well. Many of the video apps have to have multi-core switched on in the preferences, so pop the hood and have a look around in there.

yeah ive had a solid look in the settings but nothing.The other core is only using like 1 percent.

That’s kind of odd. Are you sure that your OS has both cores running? You should see “ACPI Multiprocessor PC” showing under the computer entry in device manager. Having one core pegged and the other at 1% is not right. I’ve never seen an application do that here. You mentioned that Shrink was pegging both cores, so I assumed it’s running correctly. Out of curiosity, what happens if you run 2 conversions at the same time?

Yeah ACPI multi processor pc is there. Well I havent tried doing that but I would’ve thought it would stay the same. I doubt the program has the sense to swap to the core that isnt being used. Also, DVD Shrink uses both cores 100% as does Auto gordion Knot, both video editing programs.

bump???

well i just had a look here;
http://support.divx.com/cgi-bin/divx.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1535
and read this:

‘The MPEG-2 decoder that the DivX Converter uses does not work well in hyperthreaded environments and Converter will limit itself to one CPU while this is being used.’

Any ideas to solve this problem>??

I doubt the program has the sense to swap to the core that isnt being used.

That’s an OS function. Normally, a single-threaded application will still use both cores to some degree, depending on the number of requests it’s sending. Sounds like this one is deliberately limiting itself to one core, over-riding what the OS would normally be doing. Some applications are pretty unstable in multi-core environments, so this one is probably doing you a favor.

You can assign affinity to one or both cores in task manager.

ah right thanks for that one, just done that, looks like its using 50% if both cores at the moment. Thanks for that one. If it crashes will put it back to the one core.

Personally, I prefer single-threaded applications most of the time. This lets me multi-task smoother than if both cores are pegged and I don’t have to go set priorities to keep using the system during a long conversion. Shrink is nice because it uses low priority by default.