Divx ac3 to divx mp3

well guys , i backed up my ‘Ret of the king dvd’ to DivX (with ac3)using Gordian Knot some time ago.
now is there anyway i can convert the ac3 sound to mp3 without encoding the video again . i tried it with virtual dub(1.5.10) by using these settings
Video - direct stream copy
Audio - full processing mode & mp3 in compression .
when i try to save it as avi , vmod gives an error that " no audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format "
I have also installed the AC3 Filter so it must do the decompressing stuff .
Ahh , this is getting confusing ,as the movie plays fine in wmp9 with all channels workin properly

I’ll take all the help i can get …
thanks .

You did it the right way, but VirtualDUB cant handle AC3 at all. Use either Nandub or VirtualDUBMod.

OK, i tried what you said but still no success …

I have the following installed
-WinXP (SP1)
-DrDivX 1.0.4
-ffdshow-20040629
-AC3Filter 0.7b (configured to give 5.1 channel output)
-Gordian.Knot.Rip.Pack.0.28.8

VirtualDubMod gives the foll. info for the audio stream
Sampling Rate - 48000Hz
Channels - 6
Sample Precision - N/A
AudioTag - Tag : 0x2000, Decodable
ATSC/A-52 (Dolby AC3)
Compression - Unknown (tag 2000)
Layout - 113 chunks (24000l0.50s preload)
Length - 675227447 samples (3:20:57:63)
Min/avg/max/total frame size - 2335/2562/28000 (283K)
Data rate - 448 kbps (0.93% overhead)

With Nan Dub this error creeps up
" ACM failed to suggest audio decompression format "
& with VirtualDubMod
" no audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format "

I have tried all settings but without any luck.
am i still missing something :confused:
(sorry 4 such a long post)

VirutalDub needs an ACM filter while many (all) AC3 decoders are DirectShow-based.
Solution:
1, Demux using VirtualDubMod
2, Decompress and (if needed) downmix using Azid or an audio editor that supports DS-plugins such as Goldwave
3, Re-encode and possible resample using LAME
//Danne

Absolutely agree with DiiZzY except there is an easier way now
http://www.free-codecs.com/Audio_Codecs.htm
AC3 ACM decoder is the first in list there.
Works fine with VirtualDub.

I would suggest BeSweet or HeadAC3e, should give you a better downmix than the ACM decoder, plus you can do two passes and normalise the audio.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;660130]VirutalDub needs an ACM filter while many (all) AC3 decoders are DirectShow-based.

Solution:
1, Demux using VirtualDubMod
2, Decompress and (if needed) downmix using Azid or an audio editor that supports DS-plugins such as Goldwave
3, Re-encode and possible resample using LAME
//Danne[/QUOTE]

It worked. I was getting the same error when I tried to re-encode the audio on avi file. I installed ACM filter (AC3 Filter 1.51a) found here (http://www.free-codecs.com/AC3_Filter_download.htm). Then I uninstalled AC3 decoder (AC-3 ACM Decompressor 1.4) found here (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC-3_ACM_Decompressor.htm) and Virtualdub was able to decompress audio. I have been looking for this solution for a while now thanks to DiiZzY and Sha.