Ditched my Plextor 708-A for the AO8XL

Hi,

I just installed the A08XL 10 minutes ago and am backing up some data with it. I hope to get away from the problems I evpexienced with the Plextor when using cheap media (cmc magnetics).
Is there a way to make absolutely sure i got a real A08XL instead of just an 8x pioneer with the 16x bezel?

The A08XL is Pioneer’s RETAIL drive so it should have come in a box with software and it should have the fancy Bezel with the silver round eject button.

Load up DVDInfoPro and it should list the drive’s specifics.

Cool, this is it then!!!

It feels so good to get rid of the finicky Plextor.

Yeah, run DVRFlash in verbose mode to see the kernel/normal types. They should be “PIO_ADV”.

I hope to get away from the problems I evpexienced with the Plextor when using cheap media (cmc magnetics).

CMC is crappy media anyway. If you followed the RECOMMENDED BRANDS OF DVD MEDIA with the 708A you wouldn’t have had messed up discs. I’ll pass on the 108 & wait for the next model that Pioneer comes out with. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

RIG 1

PENT 4 3.0C Northwood chip (800fsb), ASUS mobo, 1 gb PC3200 (2x 512mb) Crucial & Kingston RAM, Pioneer 107D, Toshiba 1612 Dvd-Rom, Canopus ADVC-100, 200 GB Maxtor Hard Drive, 160 GB SATA Maxtor Hard Drive.

RIG 2

PENT 4 2.4 Northwood Chip (400fsb), Shuttle mobo, 1 gb PC2100 (2x 512 mb) Crucial & Kingston RAM, Plextor 708A, Toshiba 1612 Dvd-Rom, Plextor 48x24x48 CDRW, Maxtor Internal Hard Drives 60 gb, 120 gb, 200 gb. External Firewire 120 gb hard drive.

I realize CMC is crap. The problem is; If you are buying media from best buy or comp USA you cannot tell where or who manufactured the batch of media until you get it home. (Athough I just found out that best buy will take back media if you only use 1.)

Either way, I am glad the Plextor is gone. The drive takes an incredibly long time to recognize most disks that are put in it and it will not play most safedisk 2 backups that work fine on other drives.

i recommend to use -r disk on pio drives because pio has not been too good on +r disks though not like too bad though.

The problem is; If you are buying media from best buy or comp USA you cannot tell where or who manufactured the batch of media until you get it home.

I’ve returned dvd media to COMPUSA with no problems. Lucky me!

But why go through the hassle of returning the media when you can just get a burner that can write on it. C’mon lets face it, the 708-A is not a very good burner for the price … I am almost tempted to say not a good burner period.

But why go through the hassle of returning the media when you can just get a burner that can write on it. C’mon lets face it, the 708-A is not a very good burner for the price … I am almost tempted to say not a good burner period.

In time you will learn that using CHEAP DVD MEDIA will come back to bite you in the butt. 708A is a good drive in my experiences compared to you. Within a few months or as the years go by when you wanna playback that cheap dvd media and it won’t playback or be able to be read by your dvd burner or dvd- rom, you’ll be wondering what went wrong. The hassle is worth it in returning dvd media that is considered CHEAP CRAPPY MEDIA LIKE CMC. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

RIG 1

PENT 4 3.0C Northwood chip (800fsb), ASUS mobo, 1 gb PC3200 (2x 512mb) Crucial & Kingston RAM, Pioneer 107D, Toshiba 1612 Dvd-Rom, Canopus ADVC-100, 200 GB Maxtor Hard Drive, 160 GB SATA Maxtor Hard Drive.

RIG 2

PENT 4 2.4 Northwood Chip (400fsb), Shuttle mobo, 1 gb PC2100 (2x 512 mb) Crucial & Kingston RAM, Plextor 708A, Toshiba 1612 Dvd-Rom, Plextor 48x24x48 CDRW, Maxtor Internal Hard Drives 60 gb, 120 gb, 200 gb. External Firewire 120 gb hard drive.