Disney to Buy Lucasfilm for $4.05 Billion; New 'Star Wars' Movie Set for 2015

vbimport

The Walt Disney Co. has acquired Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in cash and stock and announced a new Star Wars movie to be released in 2015.

Kathleen Kennedy, current co-chair of Lucasfilm, will become its president, reporting to Walt Disney Studios chair Alan Horn. Disney is paying about half the purchase price in cash and will issue 40 million shares of stock, the company said in a statement Tuesday.

Link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-buy-lucasfilm-405-billion-384448

:cool::cool:

Whoa! Didn’t see that one coming, especially given George Lucas’s previous statements about corporate Hollywood having “too much” creative control over many films. I always expected Lucas Film Limited to remain a family-operated business long after anyone my own personal death.

I can’t wait to see the new movie, though.

The best thing about this is that they’re continuing the story from where the original films left off, no more prequels.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Of course, hard-core Star Wars fans will quickly start to reject this movie, due to the fact that it’s not a likely going to b a carbon-clone of the originals. I would think that people would be happy that after thirty years, Lucas is able to reinvent himself.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2661889]The best thing about this is that they’re continuing the story from where the original films left off, no more prequels.[/QUOTE]

Amen. I am not a fan of prequels. I prefer timelines to move forward and not jump backward. I find it humorous that the older movies have more advanced technology than the earlier movies that are supposed to be “in the future.”

UTR, not a fan of prequels?!! Surely you jest!! I understand that STEAMBOAT SKYWALKER will become the pre-equellist of all prequels - complete with round black ears!

I have faith that Disney will do this RIGHT! Annette Funicello may not be ready for her original Princess outfit, though, but I’m thinking “Moondoggy” has a brand new galaxy!

[QUOTE=UTR;2662008]Amen. I am not a fan of prequels. I prefer timelines to move forward and not jump backward. I find it humorous that the older movies have more advanced technology than the earlier movies that are supposed to be “in the future.”[/QUOTE]

I’m not suprised. The hard-core fans always tend to hate the new movies almost as much as the special editions of the old movies. That’s not me, though. I love the prequals, as I often find myself distracted from the movies by less-than perfect special effects, and bad coloring.

However, UTR is right about the technology. I would think the technology used in Knights of the Old Republic would be inferior to everything. However, it seems the same. Then, during the Clone Wars, the dog fights are fought with Much more manuverable ships that the Original Trilogy. And how is it that R2-D2, who’s even older the the Clone Wars, can slice (that is, hack) new high-end Imperial computers?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2662074]I have faith that Disney will do this RIGHT![/QUOTE]

They had better. I have been hoping for a long time to see the last three movies, which BTW George has had a script for for 3 decades. But without George in the picture, I honestly worry about how the films will turn out. I’m sure Disney knows that hard-core fans like myself will need to see whatever they fork out at least once, meaning crap could equal profits.

Personally, I wish they could just hire Irvin Kershner to direct the entire trilogy, as I believe Empire Strikes Back to be the best of the Original Trilogy. I also wish they could use concept art from Ralph Mcquarrie, as his art was one of the most important elements of the entire franchise. unfortunately, both individuals are among the decised.

I wonder at what point after The Return Of The Jedi will they pick up and continue.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2662163]I wonder at what point after The Return Of The Jedi will they pick up and continue.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Well they’re going to be producing at least three more films so my guess would be not long after.

Lucas had always intended it to be a nine film series right from the start but I suppose there’s nothing stopping Disney going beyond this if they’re successful enough.

[B]Wombler[/B]