Disney Retail DVD kills any Burner it touches

vbimport

I Inserted an old, but scratch-less retail “Finding Nemo” disc 1 (2-disc collectors edtion) into a brand new Dell XPS system. The drive would not play the DVD and would lock up Vista for moments and slow down the system entirely. Once the disc was removed, the system would unfreeze, but would no longer play any DVD disc I tried after. I was forced to do a complete reinstall of the OS in order to get the drive to recognize any DVD media again.

(System was Vista OS SP1)

Thinking it was not the disc and perhaps a Vista issue, I put the Disney disc in another system which is about 3 years older. Again, after putting in the DVD, it locked up the system entirely… :a I couldn’t believe it… :doh: and I was forced to reinstall XP Pro on that system after reformatting the HDD. This time, the DVD drive wouldn’t work even after the reinstall. The drive is dead, won’t play any DVD media, but will play CD’s.

I’m 100% convinced the Disney disc has almost ruined the new drive, and killed my older drive, but how could this happen? How can a DVD kill a drive? :a:a:a

Is there any record of this happening to anyone? :confused:

Disney Retail DVD kills any Burner it touches…

…is wrong.
The only possible thing is that you made the mistake to allow AUTORUN/autoplay and some rootkit got installed…

[QUOTE=chef;2095435]…is wrong.
The only possible thing is that you made the mistake to allow AUTORUN/autoplay and some rootkit got installed…[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

I did a complete reformat and reinstall of my system and my DVD burner still won’t read any DVD’s.

Where is this rootkit ??? :confused:

Hey, I think the rootkit is in the dvd burner itself which would explain why the reinstall didn’t solve it. :eek:

Anyone know how I can clean it out? :bow:

Ha ha.

How exactly did you “reformat”?

Disable AutoPlay and install AnyDVD to remove protections then try again…

[QUOTE=BurnFreak08;2095823]Hey, I think the rootkit is in the dvd burner itself which would explain why the reinstall didn’t solve it. :eek:

Anyone know how I can clean it out? :bow:[/QUOTE]
A Disney DVD killed my drive as well. I use Ubuntu. The drive tried to read the Disney DVD with frantic “scratching” noises when the optical read head tried to locate the titles. Now it cannot read or mount any DVD, regardless of who the manufacturer is, or whether it was a data disc previously created with the exact same DVD burner. So I’ve “lost” data as well.

On my same laptop, I have Windows installed (but don’t use it), but when I boot into Win7 instead, the DVD still does not work. This is not an AutoPlay issue that can be resolved by using AnyDVD. Don’t try to tell me that it is, because the drive doesn’t work regardless of OS and corresponding driver .

My drive is dead.

Can somebody offer a solution other than to contact Disney and request that they repair my DVD or reimburse me for a new laptop? I’m madder than (you know what) at Disney, MPAA, and RIAA right now.

Please help.

^Laptop drives are notoriously prone to failure. That yours apparently died while trying to read a Disney made commercial DVD may be entirely coincidental.

There is no way to prove causation.

I suggest getting an external drive for use with your laptop.

If you want to test your current drive, use a bootable disc and see if it will read that outside of any operating system. A Linux live CD or DVD would suffice for this.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2744234]^Laptop drives are notoriously prone to failure. That yours apparently died while trying to read a Disney made commercial DVD may be entirely coincidental.

There is no way to prove causation.

I suggest getting an external drive for use with your laptop.

If you want to test your current drive, use a bootable disc and see if it will read that outside of any operating system. A Linux live CD or DVD would suffice for this.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Kerry56 for your response. I have tried a Live CD and no such luck. My drive is kaput. I thank you for your advise however.

On the other hand, the failure of my DVD drive is in no way coincidental, but directly related, to the playing of a Disney DVD. As you have implied, laptop drives are not designed to go through such gyrations required for a generic driver to read a cryptic Disney DVD. The failure of my drive was the direct result of the very first Disney DVD that I put into it.

Yes there are many ways to prove causation. Put a Disney disc into your optical drive on a system that is not privvy to Disney encryption and see what happens.

NO! Don’t do that! It’s not worth the risk!!! Don’t do this at home! You may be sorry!!! You have been warned!

However, if other readers – who’s drives have already failed after attempting to decipher a Disney DVD – would like to reply, we can take a tally to statistically “prove” causation.

However, the manufacturers of optical drives ought to test their hardware themselves with non-Disney drivers and Disney (or MPAA or RIAA encrypted) discs to determine their reliability. Every manufacture will occassionaly run into the situation where their product failed when a user used it in a way that the manufacturer could not have predicted, specifically, in a way that their product was not designed to handle. When this happens, who do you blame? The manufacturer or the user?

The user in this case is Disney (not us) and the encryption methods that it uses are unorthodoxed, abusive, and neither know nor expected by the manufacturer of optical disc drives. (I wish I could tell you why I know this). So I cannot blame the manufactures, but true, I cannot wholeheartedly blame Disney either.

So I would like to hear whether other readers have run into the same kind of drive failures. Maybe Disney would then take note.

P.S. Carrying around an external USB optical drive is not a viable solution for my laptop. Curses.

Had similar issue.

I went to Microsoft support site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
This is the ticket that fix your OS not recognizing your DVD drive. I ran its troubleshooter, downloaded the fix, and my DVD drive was now operational but the fix removed the AnyDVD files from the DVD drive.

I did not see where you had ever played this dvd prior to your first inserting it into your drive this time. Have you used it before? I ask this because I have been watching Finding Nemo and most of the other Disney movies since they came out. I have 7 grandkids that has watched them, On my computer with me and also on the big screen.

If so why did it just start “Freezing” your drive. If this was the first time where did you get the DVD. Is it an Original or a copy? I only have a BS in computer info sicience but I do not know of any way a DVD by its self that it can harm the DVD. Rootkits or Malicious virus maybe.

How old is the drive?

Marty

Hello Marty/thor21344,
The DVD that “killed” my drive was a Netflix rental: original DVD (not a copy) and it was thus the first time that I tried to play it.
The failure was mechanical, not a software failure. When I (first) played it, the drive sounded like the optical read head was sweeping frantically back and forth across the disc, microstepping along the way, in an attempt to find the encrypted locations of the titles on the disc. (I assume the DVD did not want to be played by a Linux PC.) So I believe my drive could not handle the wide, random, microstepped sweeps, and then gave up. The drive did not “freeze”, but now fruitlessly tries to, but cannot mount any DVD.
The drive and laptop are about 3 years old. It is a Gateway NV55S laptop with a Panosonic U8B0AW DVD player. I’m going to see if I can replace it with an LG Blue-Ray drive. I’ll let y’all know whether I’m successful, or whatever happens next.

[QUOTE=impediguy;2744525]Hello Marty/thor21344,
The DVD that “killed” my drive was a Netflix rental: original DVD (not a copy) and it was thus the first time that I tried to play it.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that Netflix uses all new DVD, I believe that they are copied.

I went to Microsoft support site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
This is the ticket that fix your OS not recognizing your DVD drive. I ran its troubleshooter, downloaded the fix, and my DVD drive was now operational but the fix removed the AnyDVD files from the DVD drive

Did you try this suggestion?

I have to say that I have not used Netflix so I can not say. I do know that Netflix and Red box all use a different format for their DVDs and that could be the problem. Some of the Back up programs will tell you that they cvan not back up these rental DVD bevause of different formats.

Hope you can get it working, plese let us know if you do

Marty

I am assuming you are using AnyDVD. I think the issue is not with the DVD but perhaps with the code Disney put’s on their DVD to prevent ripping. My DVD drive has failed twice trying to rip a Disney DVD. I have to reset my DVD drive, which removes AnyDVD files from the drive, and then the DVD drive and Disney DVD will work. This appears to be the pattern for me but I am brand new and am working with a trial version of AnyDVD to see how it works. I can’t get anyone to comment on if this similar issue happens with them.

I am running Windows 7 and the DVD that killed my system was Disney’s Up put out in 2009

[QUOTE=what_happened;2744689]I am assuming you are using AnyDVD. …

I am running Windows 7 and the DVD that killed my system was Disney’s Up put out in 2009[/QUOTE]

I do not use Windoze. I use Ubuntu (Linux). So I do not, and cannot use AnyDVD.

The drive failed when I inserted a Disney DVD into it for the first time. When I insert a movie DVD, my system will automatically try to play it. Instead, my drive failed. I did not try to rip it. My laptop just tried to read it. That’s all.

Yet I have a dual installation of OS’s on the same computer. But when I booted Win7 instead, the drive still would not work (i.e. it could not mount any DVD, including data DVD’s). So this is independent of OS and related drivers. I think.

There is a possibility that Disney detected my NTFS partition (while running Linux) and sabotaged it, virus style, but I doubt it. I still believe that it is a mechanical failure, and so rather than spending the time to fix the software and drivers, I have chosen to purchase a better (blue-ray) replacement for the drive.

If I then have to repair the software, so be it.

I just replaced the DVD drive in my laptop with a new Blu-Ray drive. It was simple: both the minimal mounting hardware and bezel fit. Evidently they are of standard dimensions.

Now when I insert a movie DVD, my player immediately plays it. The way it should be.

So my chosen course of action is to boycott Disney movies since it cost me $80 when I attempted to play one for the first time on my laptop.

I got the commercial Disney Up 2009 .
I ripped it using AnyDVD HD with the two drives I have on my desktop.
I use Vista as my main OS right now . So far no problems .
It was a region 1 version.

I have Windows 7 on the same desktop .
I may give it a try within the next couple of days.
I don’t expect any probles with W7 either.

I thought I would add this & it might be the difference.
On both Vista & Windows 7 I have Virtual CloneDrive installed.
Maybe it retains the AnyDVD drivers for it’s own use .
This makes it keep them for the other drives as well.
That’s my theory .

wait… wut ?

And dvd-rom that destroy’s an good working device because of a protection on the disc noless ?

Wouldn’t surprise me!

one time, an cd just exploded in 1000 lil pieces during the spinnup process !!
I wos like, 0_0 !!

Bah, stop spitting out fairytales.