Disney may battle theater owners alone for quick DVD releases

I just posted the article Disney may battle theater owners alone for quick DVD releases.

Ginsu Victim used our news submit to tell us "I’ve submitted news
about this before, so I found this update. Me, I’m all for it. There’s only a handful of movies I’d like to go see in a…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11208-Disney-may-battle-theater-owners-alone-for-quick-DVD-releases.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11208-Disney-may-battle-theater-owners-alone-for-quick-DVD-releases.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

WTF Disney is the king of “straight to DVD” sequels for their animated films ?! and they are against the “straight to DVD” scheme ?! and seriously, what parent wouldnt rather watch a movie in the comfort of their own home. with the ability to pause, get food for their kids, change a diaper, and not having to take their newborn to the movie so that their 3 year old can go, etc - it just seems that parents nerves and kids (other than the whole ADD / instant gratification arguement) would prefer the home theatre setup and as most 20-30 year old male guys w/ a gadget addiction (most guys) already have invested in a home theatre setup w/ large screen (either HD or regular) and surround sound
[edited by freonchill on 06.12.2005 03:40]

Its a pretty narrow band of people going to the movies these days. Disney probably figures it can churn on out direct to DVD movies quicker, cheaper, and it has a large audience ready to buy. They will only have to advertise once also. Home Video revenue is much larger now than theater revenue. Except for blockbusters, most people don’t bother going to movies anymore.

The only problem with Direct To DVD is the stigma that goes along with it. For instance, animated films that go straight to video tend to be 15fps instead of 24fps and you get this feeling of the lower quality of the whole thing. It’d be interesting to see if simul-releases still maintain the production quality we’ve come to expect from feature films.

>The only problem with Direct To DVD is the stigma that >goes along with it. For instance, animated films that go >straight to video tend to be 15fps instead of 24fps and >you get this feeling of the lower quality of the whole thing. Disney straight-to-video titles are not 15fps. I can’t think of the last Disney film product that was made at 15fps. In fact, one of the reasons that Disney has had a lot of straight to DVD releases has to do with Wal-Mart. If a film doesn’t gross a certain amount of money, then when the DVD is released, Wal-Mart is much more stingy with the shelf space. So if a Disney animated sequel fared poorly at the box office, they would get little shelf space at Wal-Mart, one of the leading sellers of DVDs in the US. So its actually more profitable for Disney to skip a theatrical release and go straight to DVD for that kind of project.

>WTF >Disney is the king of “straight to DVD” sequels for their >animated films ?! and they are against the “straight >to DVD” scheme ?! I think you misunderstood. Disney is not advocating straight to DVD here. They are advocating a simultaneous release to theatres and home video. The idea being that if people like the film, they can buy it in the lobby and the theatres and Disney share the profits. And then people who wouldn’t bother going to the theatre anyway and would wait for the DVD release would now get to see it at the same time, encouraging more people to see it than actually would if it was in a theatre only. Of course, then the DVD double-dipping would likely start. A movie-only DVD gets released on the same day, then one with special features comes out 3-6 months later. Even still, its an interesting plan with some possibly good economic benefits.

I think its fairly obvious that if dvd’s came out the same day the movie opened in the theatre, it really would hurt theatre sales. No one goes (well almost no one) goes to the theatre alone. Here on the west cost of bc is 10 bux a head. So 20 bux for the movie to watch it once, which is pretty close to the price of a dvd, which you can keep, and watch whenever you want. its a no brainer, that it would reduced the movies i see in the theatre. Can people who make expensive flicks like LOTR or star wars be motivated by dvd release sales only? Do they need the theatrical cash, as well as dvd cash to make these movies? We know the incentive is money for the movie companies, if they lose an avenue of funding, how much would it hurt the movie industry? I think it’d be cool to get the dvd right away, instead of going to the theatre (allthough I love the theatre for big movies like LOTR or star wars, but you hardly need to see a kevin smith movie on a big screen :slight_smile: ). if simutaneous releases, would start cutting back budgets for major motion pictures, i’m no so big on that idea. then again i have no idea what kind of wiggle room theatre chains have. Maybe they make a killing charging 10 bux a head, and could reduce their prices to 5 bux a head and still turn a profit.