Disks from Office Depot

vbimport

The last 50 pack of disks that I bought were Verbatim Datalife Plus from Office Depot. I went back yesterday to get some more and all they had were the regular Verbatim disks. I ended up buying a 100 pack of the Office Depot branded disks. The package says that they are made in India. I have been trying the Nero Info Tool and the Liteon SmartBurn Checker out on them to see who made them. The only info that I can get on them is that they are Moser Baer from India. I can't get the SmartBurn checker to give me any info at all. The info that I got was from Kprobe. Question is, should I return them and try to get something else? They had Imation, Memorex, Phillips, Maxell, and some unbranded disks there. I was pretty set on the Verbatim Datalife Plus, but they didn't have them. Are the regular Verbatim good disks? The Datalife Plus that I had were made in Mexico and the regular Verbatim that they had were made in Mexico also. What I am leary about on the disks that I just bought is that I can't seem to get any of the info tools to work on them. I have tried all the ones that I can find to see what the dye make is and all that, but can't seem to get it to work. Any info here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bowhuntr

I’ll assume you are talking about CDR’s. I would stick with the Taiwan-made discs. If you’re talking 48x CDR’s I doubt that it makes any difference whether it’s DLP or not, it’ll all probably be the same media. The Moser Baer media may be just fine too, it really depends on your burner.

Yes, I am talking about cdrs. Sorry about not specifing in the first post. I think I am going to see if I can take these disks back and get some of the regular Verbatim disks. Yes, they are 48x CDR’s.

Thanks,
bowhuntr

rdgrimes, just one more question for you. If it were you, would you just find some disks that were made in Taiwan made disks, not matter what brand there were? I think this is what you were saying, but wanted to make sure before I exchange them.

Originally posted by bowhuntr
rdgrimes, just one more question for you. If it were you, would you just find some disks that were made in Taiwan made disks, not matter what brand there were? I think this is what you were saying, but wanted to make sure before I exchange them.

No, I was referring only to Verbatim. If you want top quality media, hop over to Best Buy and look for Fuji spindles made in Japan.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
If you’re talking 48x CDR’s I doubt that it makes any difference whether it’s DLP or not, it’ll all probably be the same media.

Verbatim cdr’s that are made in taiwan and aren’t DLP are CMC. They usually come in a white spindle that says datalife. I’m not sure about the ones from mexico. The DLP are still genuine MCC media and usually mention something about the AZO dye. Vebatim media made in India is from Moser Baer, uses pthalocyane dye and reportedly varies in quality. I personally use the DLP with my lite-on.

Recent experiences with DVD media have cause me to doubt whether you can any longer rely on the DLP designation to ensure quality MCC media in the package. Hopefully CDR’s are still more reliable, but with DVD’s you get the same things regardless of whether it’s DLP or not.