Diskeeper vs xp defrag program

vbimport

How does Diskeeper differ from the defrag program build into windows xp especially if you have a nfts file system.

Can you have diskeeper not run in background and do manual scans. I try to avoid having tons of programs run in the background (if I can help it)as they tend to slow down the computer especially if you are playing intensive graphic games and you have a older computer…

yes, you can turn off diskeeper’s background defragging and just do manual defrags. i don’t know exactly what diskeeper does differently from the built-in defragger, but it’s easily the fastest defragger i’ve ever used.

:iagree:

Good defraggers have at least 2 major tasks:

1. make all files contigouos
  2. make all free space one big contigouos chunk.

Windows built-in does only task 1, which is OK for speeding up everyday jobs, but only barely usefull for DVD burning, as it leaves the free space all over the partition, so a big VOB or ISO files are not contigous.

Many years ago I was using Norton Speeddisk, you had options to defrag files, also pack all files at the beginning or end of the partition, and anotehr nice task, reorder the files list in the directory!

Anyone knows freeware that does the same as Speeddisk?

EDIT: Also, Speeddisk knew how to defrag the system files, like swap and registry.
Anyway, my opinion is that defragger should run manually on quiet system and never in background. The damage here due to I/O error or other error is just too great to risk.

I was running diskkeeper on my XP box, and it ran fast, but it left crap strung out all over the HD, and I couldn’t get enough contigous space to install much.
Uninstalled diskkeeper, and ran windows XP defrag, and drive is much better. Fixed all my problems. So, I sure can’t recommend diskkeeper!

The ability to exclude selected files and folders.
The ability to set defragmentation priority.
The ability to set the defragmentation method (performance, speed, etc)
The ability to set power management options (notebooks).
The ability to perform and set boot-time defrag (offline).
The ability to configure the size of the MFT (Frag Shield).

yeah i do…
Defrag Software:
DIRMS & Buzzsaw - http://www.dirms.com/
OpenVMS - http://www.execsoft.com/freeware/freeware.asp

by the way…there are tons of free downloads in http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128075 check it out…antivirus to 3-d graphics

I use Perfect disk from Raxco.

I prefer this one over the builtin defrag or Symantec’s Speeddisk. It allows you to do an ‘offline’ defrag, where the Meta data, folder data and pagefile are defragged. This helps alot with bootup times. You can also set up schedules, have exceptions, etc. Its pretty customizable and easy to use. Its also one of the only defraggers (that I know of) that’s certified for windows 2k/XP. To most people, that doesn’t matter, but to someone that takes care of a large network with multiple servers, it puts their mind at ease a bit.

Yo-

I just bought and installed Diskeeper 9-

It does a much more thorough job than xp does IMO (I actually defragged before install and then ran diskeeper defrag and xp had left stuff all over the place)-

I am NOT going to have it run in the background - too much chance for error and f*cking up your data - I prefer to defrag then reboot to be sure that everything is settled in place-

Mike

I have been using Diskeeper since NT4 and it has always performed better than the built in defrag utilities. I agree about not running in the background because the possibility of mangling the data. A quick defrag at the end of every day and everything works a little faster.

I’ve been using Diskeeper for a couple of years and am completely satisifed.
I set it to manual in services so it only runs when called upon, which is at the end of each day. If no software changes are made it takes about 6 to 10 seconds to defrag my C:\ partition that is 60 gigs. It works best with the NTFS file system, with Fat32 it is much slower.

Try defaginging with Windows defrag for about two minutes. Stop the defrag and download Diskeeper Trial version and defrag again. Bet you won’t go back to Windows defrag.