Disk recovery software

vbimport

THE WEB SHOWS TOO MUCH DISK RECOVERY SOFTWARE , ANY OF IT ACTUALLY DO THE JOB?

What type of disk, hard drive or CD/DVD? It depends on how much disk damage there is.

There are a number of things out there. Several are actually very good. It depends on what you are trying to do. We clone using Acronis 8 and another one that is “free” for the basic operations. You will find that paid software is generally better if you are making image files that will be used to recover a machine. This is also true to a degree for backup copies of your files. Personally, we use a burning program and make a full copy of folders containing important data. Reinstalling software can be painful, but works well if a machine is so damaged that a clean install is needed-then one would use the backup copy of the data files for each program. Thar’s my 2 cents

[QUOTE=Tryin’;2557911]THE WEB SHOWS TOO MUCH DISK RECOVERY SOFTWARE , ANY OF IT ACTUALLY DO THE JOB?[/QUOTE]

You need to stop yelling Caps means your yelling at the readers and most will not likely respond to such caps statements…So will ask again what do you mean recovery software?? You need to give more info to be able to help you…

Thanks to Oldtime Recording Engineer

how silly of me not to know that use of “caps” means one is yelling. “caps” helps me to see more clearly. so two
silly things are cleared up. for those offended, sorry that i yelled, it was not intentional.

er, that’s “disk recovery software” since the disks are two western digital external drives of 500gb and 1tb.
a virus wiped out the system hd which resulted in a successful clean reinstall.
yet, the external drives contain video/still images and music files that we want to recover.looking for direction, insight, suggestions, etc. thks

If you re-installed the OS I don’t see why you would have a problem with the external drives unless you are saying that they too became infected in which case any virus scanner should do the job. If you are saying that the drives aren’t being recognized by the bios and/or the OS that is a different matter. I find this program useful when a drive or partition plays hard to get, http://findandmount.com/.

I would agree what Whappo…the external and or none primary HD should be virus sanned and cleaned. Since that isn’t the main HD and your already installed the O/S a good A/V should clean out the external or secondary HDD of any virus or malware. Then you should be able to properly access your second HDD and you shouldn’t have to reformat the HD unless it needs it. But you should be able to access it after virus cleaning. But for the most part the Virus and Malware attacks your main HD or C:\ drive not usually the external drives or secondary drives but don’t take that for granted though. It is always good to scan all your HDD and makes sure their infection free. Not recognized HDD that could be a number of problems and factors and at that point we will need a more detail of the setup and specs of the hardware and how they are connected to know what to look for and diagnosis the problem.