Disk defragmentation

vbimport

gudmornin i am presently using windows xp on my desktop computer with 40GB of harddrive but because the space on the harddrive was almost occupied i then disk defragmented the harddrive in order to have more space on my disk. so after i defragmented the hardisk i notced that i could not locate some of my important documents on my pc but these unfound documents are still occuping spaces on my harddrive.
pls can you tell me how i can locate these documents.
thanks a lot. from kolade

Go to search and input the file name to find.

They should still be in the same folder as before defrag does not move them to a different folder.

[QUOTE=kolade;2461944]because the space on the harddrive was almost occupied i then disk defragmented the harddrive in order to have more space on my disk[/QUOTE]

Defragmenting does not free up space on your drive. In addition, most defragmenting software will either not work, or work extremely slowly on a hard drive that is mostly full.

Defragmentation can:

1. rearrange the individual chunks of a file so that they are all together on your disk.
  2. consolidate the free space on a drive so that it is in one lump.
  3. re-organise the placement of system and user files on your hard drive to optimize access times and minimise the possibility of future fragmentation.

Not all defrag tools do all of the above; I currently use and recommend MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag).

… i notced that i could not locate some of my important documents on my pc…

If files have gone missing after defragging then it is likely that they are lost. By its very nature defragging swaps data about all over the drive, which will defeat any data recovery efforts. Best head for your backups, if any; regular backups are a good idea generally but especially before defragging as a power cut during the process could cause massive data loss.

…but these unfound documents are still occuping spaces on my harddrive

How do you know this? What happens if you run a disk check on the drive?

Slainte

midders

ill 2nd the MyDefrag comment :wink: , it’s currently @ v4.2.5. you can get it here for FREE… http://mydefrag.com/