Disk Boot Failure on a brand new build

vbimport

Guys, I received a notice on a black screen with a flashing cursor…“Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter”.

This is on a brand new build, the BIOS/CMOS came up and I see the sata hdd…but when I exited the BIOS, I got this message.

What can it be? Or maybe, where should I start?

I have one fdd, one CD-ROM, one Sata HDD, two sticks of DDR2 memory, and on-board video and sound.

Can I assume that the motherboard is good? The reason I ask, it’s a used board and I have until Friday to call and return it fo a refund. How can I tell if it’s good or bad? Would I get the BIOS if it was bad?

Please respond. Thank you.

First and least likely, do you have a non-bootable disk in the floppy drive? If so remove it.

Next, which operating system have you put into this system? Did you have any problems installing? Will the install disk boot up when you have it in the cd rom drive?

What is the boot order in your bios? Normally you have it check floppy (if you have one) then cdrom, then hdd’s. Very few people still use floppys though, so leaving it out is normal these days.

Like Kerry56 said, if you have not yet installed the OS, you have to set the cdrom drive as the first drive to boot in the BIOS, otherwise the system will go stright to the HDD which cannot do anything because the OS has not been installed.

Checked, nothing in the FDD.

Next, which operating system have you put into this system? Did you have any problems installing? Will the install disk boot up when you have it in the cd rom drive?

I have not been able to get past the black “Disk Boot Failure” screen. I cannot install XP Home nor can I install the drivers for this mother board (the driver cd came with the mobo).

What is the boot order in your bios? Normally you have it check floppy (if you have one) then cdrom, then hdd’s. Very few people still use floppys though, so leaving it out is normal these days.

CD is first, floppy is second, and the sata hard disk drive is last. I might just take the floppy out…in case it’s causing problems. I had the floppy as first but someone told me to make the CD-RW first, then floppy, then HDD…which I did…but no help.

Thanks Kerry, stay with me on this please.

The CD-RW is set as the first drive.

I’m assuming you see the cd drive in the bios and that it is an older style IDE/ PATA drive. Have you checked the jumper on the back of the drive to make sure it is set correctly? If it is the only drive on that cable, then it should be on the very end connector and set the jumper as Master. That should be optimal. You could also set the jumper as Cable Select.

If you cannot hear the drive spin up, then something bad is going on here. You might try a different power cable to connect to the drive.

Going from there, if you still cannot get the drive to spin up, we’ll have to troubleshoot in another way. Make sure your floppy is set up properly and is one of the first two to boot up (before the hdd’s)

Next download a bootable floppy image and put it into a floppy disk. Put it in the problem computer and see if it will boot up this way. With this exercise I’m just trying to see if the boot order is actually working.

You can make your own bootable floppy from XP using this free program: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/WinBuilder.shtml There are some other options as well at softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/downloadTag/boot+disk

Let me know if any of my assumptions are incorrect…especially if your cdrw is actually a SATA drive.

[quote=Kerry56;2141665]I’m assuming you see the cd drive in the bios and that it is an older style IDE/ PATA drive.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the IDE CD-RW drive is seen as a CDROM in the BIOS.

Have you checked the jumper on the back of the drive to make sure it is set correctly? If it is the only drive on that cable, then it should be on the very end connector and set the jumper as Master. That should be optimal. You could also set the jumper as Cable Select.

Kerry, the CD-RW drive is set to Master and it’s on the very end of the flat drive cable. It’s also the only drive on that cable.

If you cannot hear the drive spin up, then something bad is going on here. You might try a different power cable to connect to the drive.

I cannot hear the drive (could it be THAT quiet?) but it does get warm like it’s working.

Going from there, if you still cannot get the drive to spin up, we’ll have to troubleshoot in another way. Make sure your floppy is set up properly and is one of the first two to boot up (before the hdd’s)

The floppy is set as number two drive.

Next download a bootable floppy image and put it into a floppy disk.

Can I get this bootable floppy image at the link below?

Put it in the problem computer and see if it will boot up this way. With this exercise I’m just trying to see if the boot order is actually working.

As bad as I hate it Kerry, this part will have to wait until I return from a trip out of the state. I could be gone as much as 14 days…or as little as 3 days. I hope the latter. And I hope when I do return you will be willing to continue this diagnostics.

You can make your own bootable floppy from XP using this free program: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/WinBuilder.shtml There are some other options as well at softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/downloadTag/boot+disk

Let me know if any of my assumptions are incorrect…especially if your cdrw is actually a SATA drive.

It’s 1:15 and I have to get up early to catch a flight so I’d better get to bed. Thanks Kerry. I’ll be talking to you later…I may even do it from my motel. But I won’t be able to do any actual work on the computer or tell you what’s going on. Guess it will have to wait.

sry, I didn’t read through the rest of the thread, but if you want to see that the system is functioning try running Knoppix, its a bootable version of linx that runs off the cd/dvd drive Link

Right now I’m leaning toward a malfunctioning cdrw drive. Whether it is the controller on the motherboard, a faulty IDE cable or just a bad drive, I can’t tell long distance. In any case, if the drive won’t spin up the disk, it doesn’t matter what type of bootable disk he puts in it.

If the computer will boot up via the floppy, then we know at least that the motherboard and cpu aren’t totally shot and that the boot order that he has set in the bios is working. But it won’t get us much farther than that.

[QUOTE=burnselk;2141535]Guys, I received a notice on a black screen with a flashing cursor…“Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter”.
[/QUOTE]
In the past I have gotten this message with BIOS recognizing all drives correctly and a bootable CD in the optical drive.
Have you tried clearing CMOS with the jumper on the mainboard?
That’s what worked for me.
After clearing CMOS with the PC shut down, boot back into BIOS and make sure all devices are recognized correctly and all settings are appropriate for your hardware, including the boot order.
Then put the bootable disc in the drive and give it another try.
It could be something else(the hard drive), but with the hardware you listed I would try clearing CMOS first. If that doesn’t fix the problem post again.
Good luck.:slight_smile:

I tend to agree with you on the CD-RW, I disconnected it last night just to see what would happen and I didn’t get the “disk boot failure” error. I don’t know what that means but hopefully we’re drilling in on the problem. I hate to think the mother board is bad. If it’s spinning up, it’s the quietest cd-rw ever made!! [U]But why does it get warm as if it was working[/U]?

I have an IDE DVD-RW I can use today to see what that does.
Wish me luck.

In any case, if the drive won’t spin up the disk, it doesn’t matter what type of bootable disk he puts in it.

Amen, brother.

If the computer will boot up via the floppy, then we know at least that the motherboard and cpu aren’t totally shot and that the boot order that he has set in the bios is working. But it won’t get us much farther than that.

We’ll see how the floppy boot attempt goes after I try connecting a IDE dvd-rw drive.

BTW, I thought you couldn’t connect a floppy ribbon cable the wrong way…I also thought the “white” or “red” wire on the ribbon cable had to be towards the power connector/and or pin number one. Is this not true with a floppy? Someone told me the cable was plugged in wrong because the light was staying on all the time. So, I turned it around and the light is not on now…but we still don’t even know if the floppy will work or not.

The only good news so far is I’m not going out of town today…so I get to work on my computer with you guys.

[quote=uSerKey;2141900]In the past I have gotten this message with BIOS recognizing all drives correctly and a bootable CD in the optical drive.

Have you tried clearing CMOS with the jumper on the mainboard?
That’s what worked for me.

Haven’t yet uSerKey, I’m going to change out the cd-rw then check the floppy’s “bootability” as Kerry recommended.

After clearing CMOS with the PC shut down, boot back into BIOS and make sure all devices are recognized correctly and all settings are appropriate for your hardware, including the boot order.

This is easier said than done uSerKey, a newbie like me can’t “make sure all devices are recognized correctly and all settings are appropriate with your hardware” because we don’t have the knowledge to know what is or what is not appropriate. The BIOS settings are VERY confusing to me. I understand some of it, but very little.

Then put the bootable disc in the drive and give it another try.

When you guys say “the bootable disk” are you referring to the Windows XP Operating System disk?

It could be something else (the hard drive), but with the hardware you listed I would try clearing CMOS first. If that doesn’t fix the problem post again.

To reset the CMOS to defaults, do I just “short” the two CMOS pins with a screw driver? That’s easier than taking out the CMOS battery…at least for me. Yes, I know…be sure to unplug the power.

Does everyone agree that this should be done?

The attachment is a shot of the computer monitor after I disconnected the power and removed the ribbon cable from
the cd-rw.

Hope this tells you something…at least the “disk boot failure” error didn’t show up after I did this.

We’ll see how the floppy boot attempt goes after I try connecting a IDE dvd-rw drive.

So, have you tried this and if so what was the result?

When you guys say “the bootable disk” are you referring to the Windows XP Operating System disk?

For your optical drive, the Windows OS disk or a bootable Linux OS disc, like the one eric93se suggested.
For your floppy drive, a disc like one created using the links provided by Kerry56.

The BIOS settings are VERY confusing to me.

I am sorry if my posts have confused you.
Going into BIOS setup the first few times is intimidating and confusing for most people, I think.
Stick with it and try to determine the actual cause of the problem through a process of elimination.

Sorry uSerKey, I didn’t mean to ignore your reply but I had to leave town rather suddenly for a while.

Finally got the computer working…with help from you guys. It must have been the CD-RW drive…when I installed the DVD/RW it worked.

And I feel much better while in the BIOS since I spent some time there getting this rig to function properly.