Disk boot failure insert system disk and press ente

I am getting crazy!!
I have a laptop (ASUS A2H); I recently replaced my old original DVD writer Pioner DVD-RW DVR-K13AS with a new DVD CD REWRITABLE
Sony NEC Optiarc Inc. (model No.AD-5540A).
at the time of booting the Laptop it appears
“disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter”
I tried to look into the BIOS and it seams that it
doesn’t recognise either DVD writer and not even the Hard drive.
The same DVD writer was testes successfully in a differnet laptop which means that the problems comes from my very crap laptop
I tried to flash the Bios with new version found in ASUS website but with no results :frowning:
Heeeeelpppp!

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum;

May be even the latest Bios version of Asus you have upgraded is not capable to recognized your writer. However, try to reset your bios to its original version (default) by disconnecting the power and the battery from motherboard reboot and see if your bios recognize the new drive.

You cannot just replace slimtype drives with another one!
Slimtype drives have no jumpers - the settings is managed through the used firmware.

Thanks very uch for replying TCAS, I have been able to solve the problem in a curious way.
I set up the hard drive with a jumper in slave position and it works.
Haver a good one

And thank to Chef aswell

[QUOTE=anmarc76;1768103]Thanks very uch for replying TCAS, I have been able to solve the problem in a curious way.
I set up the hard drive with a jumper in slave position and it works. [/QUOTE]
Me too!
Thank you very much for this suggestion. :iagree: :smiley:

I have an Asus a7v8x-x mobo with AthlonXP 2600+ and a Maxtor Diamondmax plus 60 GB ATA/133: sometimes I have the error “disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter”, but usually I only have to reboot (in the worst case, two times) and it works. Yesterday I couldn’t make it work: I thought that the HD was died, but it worked on another (very old) PC, so that wasn’t the problem.
I tried changing IDE cable (despite DVD drive worked), BIOS settings, etc.; I thought that I had to change the mobo, or perhaps the battery (sometimes when I boot it, the BIOS requires me to re-enter all settings, as it does when mobo battery has been removed).
And at last, I only had to remove a jumper! :bigsmile:

That’s very strnge however… :confused:

Guys, I received the same notice on a black screen with a flashing cursor…“Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter”.

This is on a new build, the BIOS/CMOS came up and I see the sata hdd…but when I exited the BIOS, I got this message.

Help please. What can it be? Or maybe, where should I start?

I have one fdd, one CD-ROM, one Sata HDD, two sticks of DDR2 memory, and on-board video and sound.

Can I assume that the motherboard is good? The reason I ask, it’s a used board and I have until Friday to call and return it fo a refund. How can I tell if it’s good or bad? Would I get the BIOS if it was bad?

Please respond. Thank you.

Hey burnselk,

The only thing I can think of is maybe there are BIOS settings in order to tell the mobo to boot from the SATA. Do you see anything related to boot order or boot options when checking through the BIOS?

Are you using 2 or more drives in RAID by chance? If so, then likely you have to set the RAID controller BIOS properly as well.

You can certainly get to the BIOS even if an IDE, SATA or other part of the board is bad.

RM

[quote=RichMan;2141715]Hey burnselk,

The only thing I can think of is maybe there are BIOS settings in order to tell the mobo to boot from the SATA. Do you see anything related to boot order or boot options when checking through the BIOS?

RichMan, you’re pretty sharp. I hit F12 during memory test at startup and the Boot Screen had the HDD as the first boot device. How about that. And, guess what. I can’t change it from the HDD to the CDROM for some reason. Go figure. This is a Gigabyte motherboard GA-MA69GM-S2H.

Are you using 2 or more drives in RAID by chance? If so, then likely you have to set the RAID controller BIOS properly as well.

No, I have only one 500GB sata hard disk (OEM) in it. And yes, I read in the mother board manual about the RAID settings trying to find my problem. But it didn’t help me any.

You can certainly get to the BIOS even if an IDE, SATA or other part of the board is bad.

I took out the IDE CD-RW and replaced it with a new IDE DVD-RW…and it still gives me the same error…"boot disk failure…"
RM[/quote]

Does the above infomation give you any other thoughts about what could be wrong? I sure can use some help. I’m getting absolutely nowhere.

Hi,

what about the boot options available in BIOS (not the boot menu)?
Seems as if the Sata controller (you should set it to “IDE compatible” for troubleshooting) has more priority than the IDE controller.

What happens if you insert a bootable floppy?

Michael

I don’t know much about boot options Michael? Where do I find these options.

Seems as if the Sata controller (you should set it to “IDE compatible” for troubleshooting) has more priority than the IDE controller.

Can you tell me how to do that Michael? I need all of the help I can get.

What happens if you insert a bootable floppy?

Can a bootable floppy tell me anything without having windows installed?

This is as far as I got today Michael…and I had a lot of help. Good thing, I couldn’t have done it without the help. I know little to nothing about the BIOS and the CMOS. I will learn however.

This is a brand new home assembled computer with all new parts.

I was told my SATA HDD is in the AHCI mode and that it will never be recognized in that mode…and that I should set it to the default mode. What is the default mode for a sata hdd?

:confused:
You said it was a used motherboard, then you said ‘all new parts’.

If this is a new HDD then it is perfectly normal for you to get the error ‘Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter’. The error means that no operating system was found to boot from.

It is possible that the Windows install can not see the drive because you have not installed the 3rd part drivers. Perhaps your motherboard originally had a floppy with SATA drivers on it that you must use when installing Windows. During the install you will see a message at the bottom (I think) that says something like ‘Press F6 if you want to install…’. If you have the floppy with the correct drivers, you would press F6 at this point. Later, the install would tell you to insert the floppy and press ENTER.

Maybe this will help. Good luck.

RM

You said it was a used motherboard, then you said ‘all new parts’.
[/quote]

Sorry RichMan, you’re right…everything except for the “slightly used” mother board is new. The seller on eBay said he only used it
about two weeks. It’s an AMD board and he had to go with Intel.

If this is a new HDD then it is perfectly normal for you to get the error ‘Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter’. The error means that no operating system was found to boot from.

The HDD is definitely a new Sata drive.

It is possible that the Windows install can not see the drive because you have not installed the 3rd part drivers.

Are the drivers you speak of contained on the driver disk that came with the mother board? And are these drivers for the sata HDD? If so, the mother board manual says to load Windows XP [U]before[/U] you load the drivers…top of page 53 in the manual. What you say makes perfectly good sense RichMan. I was just following the manual…but XP won’t install because it doesn’t see the sata HDD. So I’m in a catch 22 situation.

Perhaps your motherboard originally had a floppy with SATA drivers on it that you must use when installing Windows. During the install you will see a message at the bottom (I think) that says something like ‘Press F6 if you want to install…’. If you have the floppy with the correct drivers, you would press F6 at this point. Later, the install would tell you to insert the floppy and press ENTER.

I have the driver disk, but it’s not a floppy. It came with the mother borad. Maybe I should email the seller and ask him if he installed drivers for a sata floppy. [B]What more should I ask him RichMan?[/B]

Maybe this will help. Good luck.

Sure hope so. It all sounds good to me. I just hope the seller will respond to my questions.

I just had a last minute thought after reading your post and reading the manual some more. Maybe I should just “load fail-safe defaults” within the BIOS. That would take the settings back to what they were before the previous owner installed drivers, etc. If that doesn’t work, maybe I should reset the CMOS. What do you think?

Resetting the BIOS to defaults may or may not help. However, drivers are not stored on the motherboard. They are stored on the hard drive. If you set your BIOS to defaults, you may then need to go back into the BIOS and make certain changes before you can continue. For example, the default settings might have your SATA controller turned OFF which will mean no way for XP install to see it no matter what.

If XP does not know how to talk to the SATA controller on your motherboard, then it wil report no disk found. That is why you might need a floppy with drivers on it during the XP install. This must be on a floppy as far as I know. If you have the floppy, then during the XP install, XP will know how to talk to your SATA controller and therefore find your hard drive. The drivers will then be placed on your hard drive.

I certainly hope that others can offer better ideas since I am far from being an expert at this sort of thing.

RM

I appreciate your insight RichMan, no matter what. You strike me as someone who has a good understanding of what is supposed to happen within the computer. Give it some thought and let me know what I need to do…and thanks.

Hi,[quote=burnselk;2142338] The seller on eBay said he only used it
about two weeks. It’s an AMD board and he had to go with Intel.[/quote]Ah yes … :wink: cough

I have the driver disk, but it’s not a floppy. It came with the mother borad.
I suppose, it’s on a CD. Please check Gigabyte website for drivers. I expect them to have a tool to create the floppy that is needed to load the Sata/AHCI drivers during Windows installation. And if you are there, get the latest drivers for the other parts, since these are probably newer than those on the drivers disc.

I just had a last minute thought after reading your post and reading the manual some more. Maybe I should just “load fail-safe defaults” within the BIOS. That would take the settings back to what they were before the previous owner installed drivers, etc. If that doesn’t work, maybe I should reset the CMOS. What do you think?
I would start with resetting the CMOS right away. Not a bad idea. Please note you should have the motherboard disconnected from power supply when resetting CMOS.

Michael

brilliant i have a similar problem with my laptop ill give a few things off this thread ago when i get hoe from work.

Dont be too quick to judge

bob, let me know if you find/learn anything that will help me get my Windows XP and my mobo drivers loaded.

I like your saying…below

Dont be too quick to judge

[quote=mciahel;2142444]Hi,Ah yes … :wink: cough

Please check Gigabyte website for drivers.

I expect them to have a tool to create the floppy that is needed to load the Sata/AHCI drivers during Windows installation.

Is this the driver I need? I see no mention of sata/AHCI.

2007/07/02ATi SATA2 RAID Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)
[B]O.S. : [/B]Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows XP 64Bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 32bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 64bitv8.38
0.18 MB

And if you are there, get the latest drivers for the other parts, since these are probably newer than those on the drivers disc.

Most of those drivers are huge…from 3.66MB up to 47MB.

I would start with resetting the CMOS right away. Not a bad idea. Please note you should have the motherboard disconnected from power supply when resetting CMOS.

Should this be the very first thing I do?

Hi,[quote=burnselk;2142748]Is this the driver I need? I see no mention of sata/AHCI.

2007/07/02ATi SATA2 RAID Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)[/quote][COLOR=Black]Yes.[/COLOR] :iagree:

Most of those drivers are huge…from 3.66MB up to 47MB.
So you’re on dial-up? Maybe you can ask a friend with broadband internet. Or stick with the dated drivers from the CD provided. Better than nothing.

(Clear CMOS)
Should this be the very first thing I do?
Yes. Maybe the first owner experimented with overclocking etc. So it is a good idea to clear the CMOS and then load the default values (I’d prefer “optimised defaults” if available) in BIOS.

EDIT: Some stuff to read: http://ivoidwarranties.blogspot.com/2008/07/amd-780g-vs-ahci.html