Dish Network DVR 622

vbimport

I recorded some saved programs on my Dish Network DVR 622 to an external hard drive that formatted it for that purpose according to their instructions. Can the external hard drive now be reused by being hooked up to my standalone computer and reformatted or have I lost it because of that use? If so, how do I do it? I connected it to my computer but there was no hard drive recognized. Thanks for any help you can offer.

[QUOTE=doninwash;2169462]I recorded some saved programs on my Dish Network DVR 622 to an external hard drive that formatted it for that purpose according to their instructions. Can the external hard drive now be reused by being hooked up to my standalone computer and reformatted or have I lost it because of that use? If so, how do I do it? I connected it to my computer but there was no hard drive recognized. Thanks for any help you can offer.[/QUOTE]My external USB drive shows up in C: using XP Pro. You can format it from there. You could always download and burn a Linux bootdisc i believe and do it from that if needed.

I have yet to do that. Kind of busy right now but will try tomorrow if you want me to.

I also have xp Pro but the external drive does not show up at all when I connect it by USB. Would Linux recognize it if the computer was booted up with the Linux disk?

[QUOTE=doninwash;2169498]I also have xp Pro but the external drive does not show up at all when I connect it by USB. Would Linux recognize it if the computer was booted up with the Linux disk?[/QUOTE]I’m guessing yes but like i said mine shows up in C: using XP Pro and i have the option to format it. Have a look again at your C:

If I look at C: it is the main hard drive in my computer. Before this external drive was converted for use with the DVR when it was connected it would come up as a drive like H: - I am afraid if I told the computer to reformat C: everything on the main hard drive in the computer would disappear.

Well for some reason [B]within[/B] C: mine shows up

Hang on it might take me awhile. I’ll boot up to Ubuntu and see.

hmmm i guess you cannot format with a live disc. Figures …

Even if you are able to access the drive and the files within, they are encrypted files.

I don’t have any files on that drive so later today or tomorrow i’ll find something i don’t want anymore to put on it. Maybe XP will see the drive again and i can format it. If not maybe Acronis will see it.

I haven’t needed to re-use the drive after i formated with my 622 so this is new to me actually. I only plugged the drive in my XP machine to see what the file names were and never did see them but i did see the drive and had the option to format.

Well with XP Pro alone i could not do anything with it. I used Acronis in Add New Disk mode and had no problems formating to NTFS. So you will need some formating app.

I can see the drive in XP Pro (Disk Management) but no way to format. I’m not going to load Linux so your on your own there.

Edit:
I just hooked it back up to my 622 and it formated to whatever it uses again no problems.

Also if i remember correctly to use this feature on the 622 the HDD has to be at least 40gigs and not exceeding 750 gigs. No flash (thumb) drives can be used. Dish Pocket drives will work though. This is info from a Dish tech i talked to.

[QUOTE=CDan;2169563]Even if you are able to access the drive and the files within, they are encrypted files.[/QUOTE]yeah i haven’t been able to see the files yet. All i can see is a partition for the recording i added to it and the partition space left. I’m not going to load Linux to investigate what files they are. If a person wants to burn the stuff they can use a DVD recorder i assume?