Discworld Noir

vbimport

Hi everyone. I've been trying to check out if Discworld Noir has any protection on it or not to backup in Clone CD. Clony XXL 2.006 either insist's on asking of the game is already installed (& to check for Securom New), or says it has no protection.
This is a budget version (rerelease), in Australia of Discworld Noir with it listed as published by Infogrames,(Perfect Entertainment) on 3CD's.
Any thoughts?:confused:

Well it could just be the disc is unprotected, especially since it’s a budget title. Have you tried installing the game and letting ClonyXXL check the protection? I think your game will be unprotected. On this website you can see an overview of copy-protections and their characteristics. Perhaps this will help?

If it’s a budget title sold in oz it’s probably unprotected even if the game, when originally released, was protected. Budget titles in oz usually sell for about 10aud and that just doesn’t leave enough margin to pay licence fees for copy protection.

Check it with clony, scout or yaps and, if no protection is detected, just use nero’s cd copy to make your back-up.

I have read elsewhere that the original version had Safedisc (old/original) protection on CD 1, but 2 & 3 weren’t protected. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that Clony XXL may have a problem recognising & using the correct method to handle Safedisc old, is this still the case?
Of if I’ve got my wires crossed then what was the problem (if any) that the latest Clony XXL had?

clony often gets securerom new wrong. AFAIK it doesn’t have any problem with safedisc 1.

clony often gets securerom new wrong. AFAIK it doesn’t have any problem with safedisc 1.

Clony very rarely gets Safedisc 1 wrong…
It will occasionally detect it as Safedisc 2. (Very trivial error)
It does this on Jagged Alliance II for example… (SD 1.11.000)
It will also detect other protection as Safedisc 2 which are not…

ie. the prot on Zoo Tycoon & FIFA 2002
Not sure on the prot name… I believe a Safedisc Hybrid also by Macrovision due to the existance of secdrv.sys and other common SD related files…
Errors are only from sectors 100ish to 300ish though…

Just a little something for ppl who like to know :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Cheers

Originally posted by H.K. Phooey
I have read elsewhere that the original version had Safedisc (old/original) protection on CD 1, but 2 & 3 weren’t protected. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that Clony XXL may have a problem recognising & using the correct method to handle Safedisc old, is this still the case?
Of if I’ve got my wires crossed then what was the problem (if any) that the latest Clony XXL had?

SafeDisc is the easiest protection to find…just start a read, any read, with FES set to auto and watch for the errors.

After realising I had the wrong version of Clony XXL installed, I installed the “proper” english version,& it I.D. it no protection. Thank you for everyone’s help.
One last Clony XXL question though. In the german(plus a little english!), version I had, it had listed protection’s like CD-Check, but I noticed these are missing in the English ClonyXXL. What Clone CD settings,(or Clony XXL),would you use on a game CD backup which had CD-Check for its protection,(like Soldier of Fortune 1,for example),but without any patches?
(I’d prefer to play from the copied CD’s,what’s the point of backing it up otherwise!!)

Just use the standard game cd profiles. Only if that doesn’t work (and it will work for more than 95% of all games) should you start worrying about special profiles or settings.