Discs suddenly not read by standalone

vbimport

I have a 811S and used to burn DVD+R (changed booktype to DVD-ROM) that were readable by my standalone DVD player. But now suddenly it just refuses to recognise them. They are correctly burned as DVD-ROM and can be playable on PC. I can’t tell when this is first happen and after what I have done. I have tried to troubleshoot by flashing back the latest official firmware HSOR, using the EPROM utility to reset the calibration, went back to older Nero versions (tried 6.3.1.15/25) and tried a number of different media.

Anyone can get me some other suggestions please?

Welcome :slight_smile:
Post a KProbe 2.4.2 BLER scan and KProbe disk info of a working and a non working disk.

I had a similar problem. Wrote about 300 disks fine and began noticing playback problems. Starting doing kprobes on all disks and found after going back a ways that all disks burned in the last couple of weeks were progresively worse until the burner just couldn’t produce an acceptable burn. Odd thing is they all passed data verification. Finally decided I needed a new drive so I got a BenQ DW1620 to replace it with. After seeing what it can do all I can say is Lite-On burners really blow goats.

Working Disc Info:
Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer Ricoh Company Limited
Media ID RICOHJPNR01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 4.6x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 2.4x CLV

Non-working Disc info:
Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer Ricoh Company Limited
Media ID RICOHJPNR01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 4.3x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 2.4x CLV

And the Kprobe scans were attached.

hate to say it but pls. rescan at 4x…not max speed this is the std. used in the forum

Both were rescaned at 4x. The first one is the working disc.

@ mickwong
Those scans, though not great, are within specifications of acceptable burns(see Interpreting PI/PO error scans ). I notice they are both not-full-disc(~2.6GB?) burns. Of the two burns, I would have guessed you might have problems with the first(‘good’) disc at the end. The second(‘bad’) burn might have the ‘11’ PIF spike at the very beginning, possibly preventing reading, but you might have a very picky stand-alone player. What brand is it? Can the ‘bad’ discs be read/recognized on any other stand-alone player? You did say they play in your PC.

Even though these scans are within specs, I would think you would be getting better results from the RICOHJPNR01 media that you are using. The 811S has been known to be a bad reader as well. Have you been burning these at 8x? If you have, I would recommend that you try a 4x full-disc(4+GB) burn and scan and post the results. If that sucks, then I would recommend you reset your eeprom and burn 4 R01 discs with the same firmware at 4x speed, and the results should improve by disc4. Let us know how that goes.

The bad discs are readable by PC and a newer DVD player (no-brand China made player and BenQ portable DVD/PC external player). My picky DVD player is a Skyworth 1050p. The discs were all burned at 8x. I tried 4x before but it seems not improving.

I will do the EPROM reset and try a few 4x burn and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Guys. I am having the same problem as well. I have an HP DVD 300i (firmware 3.20) and when I burn movies using Nero or dvd decryptor everything will write just fine (no indication of read errors from nero or decryptor), though when I try it on my Denon 2800 standalone dvd player, the disc doesn’t appear to be recognized. The same thing occurs on my memorex and sony dvd players (all three are pretty good with burned dvds). The only drive that can read the dvd ok is the HP drive that it was burned on. At first, I thought it was the media I just purchased. So, I reverted back to the old imation media (that I’ve used in the past w/o a problem) and I had the same results. I then thought that it may have been the rips of the movies, so instead of dvdshrink, I tried using dvdxcopy xpress. Same results with the media after this. Is my drive on it’s way out? Do you guys have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks!

I don’t know but you guys seem to be having the exact same problem I’m having, the only difference is my drive is brand new! I posted my problems in another thread before seeing this one.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=121207

I’m trying to find out if I should attempt to return the drive (got it as a gift with no receipt) and get something that works, or keep fiddling with this thing. Brand new and I haven’t burned anything that can be read on my set top dvd player yet.

It’s probably not worth fooling with when there are so many other drives that would work right out of the box. Those Lite-On DVD writers need some major improvements.

What brand of media are you using ? I know you mentionned further RICOHJPN, but they are sold under what brand ?

Are you putting an adhesive labels on them or writing on them with a marker ?

How are they stored ? (room temperature, cold, warm, sunlight, etc…)

Are the discs scratched or dusty ?

I have burnt litteraly hundreds of DVDs with my 811, I think well over 300 since many people come to me to have their tapes transferred to DVD, and I can tell you that one year and a half later all of my personal DVDs play just fine on all 3 DVD players I have.

As long as you stay away from no name brands and cheap media you should be fine. RICOHJPNR01 is reliable media and long lasting (probably will outlast you…) so there should not be a problem.

As far as LITEON blowing goats, I would not go as far as saying that, as I consider it a very good drive, as long as you use quality media and avoid the crap. There are many advantages to LITEON including high quality and highspeed CD writing, fast ripping and handling of copy protection (3sheep+), etc… I do however fully agree that LITEON needs to pull their collective fingers out of their arses and improve their drive and provide better QC… :slight_smile: