Discs in Adelaide, Australia

Thought I’d start a disc thread for fellow Adelaideans.

Newell Computers, at Grange, have Laser (D.S.T.) 48x, spindle pack of 50 for $22 (Cheap as Chips want $29 for the same).
Acer 32x, slim case, pack 10 $9.
Sony 32x, normal case pack 10 $11.
They also seem to have the best prices on burners/DVD’s - my Liteon 165H was $77.

Go-Lo stores have GAT 40x (I think), spindle pack 11 $5 (haven’t tried them).

Big W have Go-Tech (Prodisc) 10x re-writables, pack 5 $13.

Anyone else have anything to add?

dick smith at norwood has verbatim super azo $14 for 10, tdk gold (poo)$12 for 10, tdk audio(heaps good) $15 for 10 or $29 for 20. target @ newton has tdk 40x ritek made, for $29 in a 50 spindle. kmart at firle has tdk 16x $45 for 50, sony $49 for 50 spindle and kodak silver $60 for 50 spindle. there is a small comp store on 2nd floor at tea tree plaza, they have ricoh 32x 50 for $40, mitsubishi 24x 10pack for $13 and skc 800mb $15 for 10 pack, tdk cdrw 5 for $8.

I’m actually from Perth, but you should be able to find BASF/Emtec [MMM&M] :Z, Imation [CMC] :Z, Datastream Professional [Prodisc] :p, TDK CD-R74 16x [Ritek] :p, and Verbatim CD-RW74/CD-RW80 [Mitsubishi] :p.

If you’re lucky, you might bump into Kodak Silver+Gold Ultima [Kodak Japan] :bigsmile:, Mitsui Gold GD74 [Mitsui] :bigsmile:, and That’s CD-R [Taiyo Yuden] :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:.

Good luck!
TerminalVeloCD

yeah but i only named some of the better brands (except tdk gold:Z ). finding mitsui or taiyo is nearly impossible. i have never seen either of them in adelaide. Does anyone know where i can find some?

Big W have dropped the price of the 10x re-writables to $9.98 for 5. They’re Go-tech brand, Prodisc manufacture. (These seem to burn between 10x - 12x).

Figures - as soon as I buy something the price drops:Z

I guess I’m lucky in Perth to have a guaranteed supply of Taiyo Yuden That’s CD-R 80’s…Wonderful stuff!

TerminVeloCD

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
[B]I guess I’m lucky in Perth to have a guaranteed supply of Taiyo Yuden That’s CD-R 80’s…Wonderful stuff!

TerminVeloCD [/B]

I have only been able to find the 32x Thats TY in Perth. That speed is a bit limiting for a 52x recorder. What speed are the ones you can get and where do you buy them?

Sorry to butt in, I edited the title of the thread so the rest of the world knows what you Ausies are on about. Sure are a lot of you around here, must be multiplying. :eek:

@Jovo: The 32x-speed TYs will burn fine at 52x-speed, providing that if you have a LiteOn burner, you turn off Smart-Burn.

TerminalVeloCD

Fellow Perthites can you please tell me where you buy
Thats / TY ?

Thanks

Jim

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
[B]@Jovo: The 32x-speed TYs will burn fine at 52x-speed, providing that if you have a LiteOn burner, you turn off Smart-Burn.

TerminalVeloCD [/B]

Thanks TerminalVeloCD. I rarely turn off Smartburn on my LTR 52246S because in the past it resulted in very poor burns. I will try it again with the TY’s. I have just posted some burning results here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57535 if you are interested.

Originally posted by Dexx
[B]Fellow Perthites can you please tell me where you buy
Thats / TY ?

Thanks

Jim [/B]

I am told the cheapest place is Best Buy computers but the distributors are Mediaplex in Short St, E Perth. Tel: 9225 7688.

hi,if u really want cheap good quality blank cd’s check this site out
these cd’s work for vcd movies ,psx games pc software and most anything else i’ve tried

these cd’s work for vcd movies ,psx games pc software and most anything else i’ve tried and at $65 a 100 spindle pack easily the best buy i’ve seen
www.hitek.com.au

No thanks, they’re Postech. I can tell by the numbering on the clear centre ring.

TerminalVeloCD

@rdgrimes
actually, there’s not many of us, but we’re a noisy lot:)

Trouble is, the sandgropers (West. Ozzies to everyone else) seem to have hi-jacked my thread:p - Perth is a l-o-o-o-ong way from Adelaide. Come to think of it , Perth’s a long way from anywhere:D

Podgyad, I think I mentioned somewhere else that Newell Computers have Laser discs (made by DST, I think) @$22 per 50 spindle. Cheapest I’ve found so far and haven’t caused me any probs. - yet.

As for T.Y. - never seen them anywhere, obviously the sandgropers hijacked the containers to stop them from getting here;)

Originally posted by podgyad
these cd’s work for vcd movies ,psx games pc software and most anything else i’ve tried and at $65 a 100 spindle pack easily the best buy i’ve seen
www.hitek.com.au

are those the black ones your talking about? i used some and they were only ok for very slow recording. they were also expensive as hell ($2.50 per cd).

If you live in WA and are interested in buying unbranded Maxell cdrs, which burn at 52x with no errors and available for around $20 for 50 please contact me by email and I will give you the name of the distribributor.

PLE in Wangara is good for cheap CDRS with 40X CDRS (only worked at 28x in my burner) for 30 bucks

Riteks are pretty good, and the TDK riteks are great (29bucks for 50) are better than most discs (imation, tdk gold CMC)

Strathfield discs arent bad either 49c, and are just as good as any CMC disc