? Discontinued Kodak DVD+R / Need Replacement

Hi,

I began using DVDs last year when VHS became officially extinct (no longer carried in the video stores around here). I decided to get a recorder for my PC while I was at it because my backups were growing past the point where CDs can hold them.

I purchased a 200 pack of Kodak DVD+R while they were on sale. It had a yellow label with a purple photo of a family watching a movie. They were 8x and made in India. I later purchased another one which I have not yet opened although it looks almost identical with only the markings on the disc surface being slightly different.

I recently checked to see if Futureshop had another sale on them but they did not even have them listed; neither did Office Depot. I got worried and checked around today and it seems that Kodak has discontinued making them. Is this correct?

If so, then what should I get instead? I only got these because they were a trusted brand name for really cheap (200 for less than $50 CAD.) I can’t buy 100 for $150, that’s too much for me; I’m looking for deals like that one. I also can’t buy from any old place, I need it to be available from a place like Futureshop or Office Depot or something where I can get them directly or go in and make a scene if what arrives in the mail is bad (it’s happened with both 200 packs.) I’m in Southwestern Ontario (Canada).

Thanks a lot.

You wanna know why those Kodak DVD+Rs were so cheap? Because they’re not real Kodak. Sometime in the past few years, Kodak liscensed their name to “KMP Media” owned by some guy in Hong Kong. KMP Media uses literally the cheapest, crappiest media they can get their hands on it, which is often the dreaded “made in China” or “made in Hong Kong” variety. Yours are made in India? That would suggest they’re Moser Baer, which is better than anything else I’ve heard of KMP using, although they’re probably B or worse grade.

The stuff sold under the Kodak name is so bad that I’d actually recommend you back up everything you’ve burned so far on Kodak media to something more reliable! :eek:

Now, as for what can be bought B&M that’s decent? Verbatim and made in Japan Sony are the only two things that come to mind.

At the moment, I don’t think Verbatim is on sale anywhere, so unless you’d like to pay ~$0.70 per disc, I’d recommend you wait for a sale which would bring the price down to ~$0.40 or:

Try and find a MIJ pack of Sony at Walmart that cost $25/50pk. The easiest way to identify MIJ is by looking for a white, octogonal shaped spacer on top of the discs.

If you want to gamble, Best Buy has a 100pk of HP 8X DVD+R for $21.22 . These discs are CMCMAGE01, and if your burner has proper support for them, they’ll likely be fine. They’re a bit riskier than the 2 other options, though.

Unless you’re willing to buy online, I think those the only good choices… Good luck! :slight_smile:

Whats the media ID code on these discs?

You can find out by using cdspeed and going to info.

The original Kodak you got were made in India and those were made by Moser Baer Inc. They make very decent blank media. If you want those, I suggest going to office max and look for those imation spindle, make sure you look for made in india ones, they are exactly the same as those kodak you have, except the branding is different. And by the way, ignore the -R, because Moser Baer only makes +R media. Or you can look for the 8X TDK made in India, they are the same manufacture, just that TDK slaps their brand/logo on the disc.

You can still find some of these? :eek: - here it looks like TDK totally switched to 16X, I can’t find any 8X anymore!

Whatever, agreed that the TDK 8X +R are an excellent alternative (if you can find them) as:

• either they’re “made in India” and are MBIPG101 R04, very recommended discs (except under the RICOH brand according to Dakhaas and Francksoy)
  • either they’re "made in Luxembourg " or “in Taiwan” and are TDK002 which are also excellent
  • either they’re “made in Japan” and are YUDEN000T02 which is considered by many as the best existing discs.

I’ve heard some can be CMC MAG E01 but never encountered any… :confused:

Believe me, I think MBIL is generally pretty good, but like many of large manufacturers in Taiwan, they have MANY different grades. I somehow doubt KMP Media is buying were “A Grade”, so they’re not necessarily decent IMO.

And FYI, MBIL [I]does[/I] make a DVD-R! :wink:

Actually, I think MOST MIT TDK 8X DVD+R are CMCMAGE01… or at least that’s been my experience.

I know at least MBI02RG20, which is same technology as Verbatims MCC02RG20. :iagree:

Actually, I think MOST MIT TDK 8X DVD+R are CMCMAGE01… or at least that’s been my experience.
Oh? well… are they as good as the HP and Imation E01? I have to confess that I often write that the TDK-branded CMC MAG E01 are very good, though (shame on me) I never burned a single one… just word of mouth from trustable friends. :o

Are you sure it uses the EXACT same technology as real MCC? It would not surprise me one bit if it’s using Mitsubishi’s dye, but I’d be a bit surprised if stampers, glues, etc are all the same too. What would be the point of having a different code if it’s exactly the same?

Oh? well… are they as good as the HP and Imation E01? I have to confess that I often write that the TDK-branded CMC MAG E01 are very good, though (shame on me) I never burned a single one… just word of mouth from trustable friends. :o

It probably depends on what part of the world you’re in. The crap that gets sold in North America, specifically at Costco for under $0.25, is not very good based on my experience and the experience of others.

Of course I can’t. :disagree: It’s only reasonable conjecture, from the extremely similar burns to the MCC02RG20 I bured at the time.

but I’d be a bit surprised if stampers, glues, etc are all the same too. What would be the point of having a different code if it’s exactly the same?
To sell them under their own brands (mine were MMore which is owned by MBI if I’m not mistaken) I guess…
But you’re probably right that they can’t be exactly the same discs…

My bet is that they just use an MCC dye, much like CMCMAGE01.

Wow great info and tips everyone. I knew I asked in the right place.

Honestly, I’m willing to swallow 70¢/disc if need be although I’ll have to be a little more frugal with backup frequency, but 40¢/disc is great. I’ll keep an eye out.

Here’s the data on the discs, are they really so bad?:
<FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>
<TABLE cellpadding=‘0’ cellspacing=‘0’>
<TR><TD><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info</FONT></B></TD><TD></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Basic Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc type:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Book Type</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Manufacturer:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> unknown</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> MID</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> MPOMEDIA 080 (000)</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write speeds:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Blank Capacity</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> n/a</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Extended Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Layers</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write strategies</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc Status</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Closed</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Raw Data</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Physical Format Information (00h)</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</FONT>
<PRE>
0000 - A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 24 AF 6F 00 00 00 00 - …$.o…
0010 - 00 00 03 4D 50 4F 4D 45 44 49 41 30 38 30 00 38 - …MPOMEDIA080.8
0020 - 23 54 37 15 02 52 6C 02 B4 63 15 15 0B 0A 08 08 - #T7…Rl…c…
0030 - 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …
0040 - 01 00 38 38 02 31 5F 1C 06 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 - …88.1_…#…
0050 - 00 00 02 31 5F 1C 06 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 00 00 - …1_…#…
</PRE>

Bad news… your media is the same junk I referred to in my first post :frowning: If you have anything important on that media, I’d recommend you back it up to something reliable.

Now, if you wait a couple weeks, I’m sure some decent media will be on sale for ~$0.40. If you want, I could PM you when there’s a good sale on :flower:

What exactly do you mean by ‘bad’ though? What specifically will happen to it? It’s not going to explode or give me cancer. :bigsmile:

They will become unreadable quicker! Some cheaper media last 6 months or less!

If your burner is any good and has decent firmware, the HP CMC 8x +R discs will work very well and that’s a great price. What’s your burner/firmware? You can download Nero CD-DVD Speed to check if you don’t know, and you can also use the program to test the readability/quality of your burned discs.

I’ve got a GSA-4163b with A106. I have been lurking around here and other forums for a long time now and have never understood those quality graphs. I’ve done a few but ignored them for the most part.

I’ve got some gold Mitsui CDs from 1998 that are still perfectly readable and some silver Memorex CDs that were unreadable almost immediately. I would like to be able to use my DVDs for as long as possible. Obviously image backups require that the disc be properly readable (isn’t this what the error checking/correcting built into the CDVD system for?) but what about movies? Is it as bad a problem for those?

Yes! A movie with unreadable parts will have freezing issues!
LG GSA-4163B A106 likes high quality media, you might just try some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim :slight_smile:
Memorex is a B-grade brand, as we know, but nowadays Mitsui/MAM-A isn’t as good as they were, because they were bought by an Italian company called Computer Support Italy.

Great info, thanks a lot.

I’ll definitely look for the better media now. Unfortunately I’ve still got about 200 of the Kodaks left and I can’t return them now. I’m going to try to quality test them to see if they can be good enough for now. I haven’t had any problems with them yet by which I mean I haven’t had any coasters (well I had two but those were my fault, one was because my system froze—not uncommon with mine—and the other was because I burned the wrong stuff on it.) As for reading, they’ve been pretty good so far. I’ll try out CDSpeed on a few discs but I’m not sure what to look for in the graph, (just that the C1/C2 error count should be low).

MMore isn’t owned by MBI. Still MBI is MMORE main supplier.
At least that was the situation last time I checked which is I think allready a year ago.

I’ve also got a 10 pack of HP DVD+RWs for a local shop a while back and they are quite indispensable, very useful. I called them up recently to see if they have any more but they only have 10 packs of Sony DVD+RWs now. Is there somewhere I can see comparisons of DVD+RWs? I’ve got these:

<FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>
<TABLE cellpadding=‘0’ cellspacing=‘0’>
<TR><TD><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info</FONT></B></TD><TD></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Basic Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc type:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+RW</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Book Type</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+RW</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Manufacturer:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> unknown</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> MID</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> PHILIPS 041 (000)</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write speeds:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 2.4 X - 4 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Blank Capacity</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> n/a</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Extended Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Layers</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write strategies</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc Status</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Closed</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Raw Data</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Physical Format Information (00h)</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</FONT>
<PRE>
0000 - 92 0F 04 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - …&.?..
0010 - 00 00 01 50 48 49 4C 49 50 53 00 30 34 31 00 39 - …PHILIPS.041.9
0020 - 23 00 9F 7C 5C 02 28 00 9A 7E 70 02 28 00 A0 7B - #…|.(…~p.(…{
0030 - 68 02 28 04 04 20 E0 00 F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - h.(…
0040 - 01 00 17 38 00 28 8B 46 02 2C 00 2E 8A 3A 02 2C - …8.(.F.,…:.,
0050 - 00 2C 8C 3C 02 2C 28 35 50 00 20 00 40 20 00 00 - .,.<.,(5P…@…
</PRE>

I need to know if the Sonys are good.

Thanks.