Disc won't eject

vbimport

The playback froze and disc wouldn’t eject, I unplugged the unit then plugged it back in and it opened. I tried to clean the disc and re-play, froze again this time nothing would open the disc tray and the player reports “no disc”. I tried the reset button, holding the power button for 10 seconds, and also tried holding the stop and channel up buttons together for 5 or more seconds. Nothing seems to work. ANYONE with any suggestions?

This post and its attached photos depict a DMR-EZ17, similar in most respects to the DMR-EZ27:

The problematic disc should be discarded.

Thanks for the quick reply! I used the manual slide on the underside to get the disc out, but I still get no response from the eject button even after numerous attempts at resets. I’m beginning to think the dvd drive is toast, but I’m sure someone has another suggestion.

[QUOTE=RickBrins;2461605]Thanks for the quick reply! I used the manual slide on the underside to get the disc out, but I still get no response from the eject button even after numerous attempts at resets. I’m beginning to think the dvd drive is toast, but I’m sure someone has another suggestion.[/QUOTE]

When pressing the disc tray OPEN/CLOSE button is there a click or not?

If there is a click the OPEN/CLOSE mini-switch is probably functioning correctly. The mini-switch is operated by the lever behind the front panel OPEN/CLOSE button as indicated by the pencil in the first photo. The OPEN/CLOSE mini-switch is located on the chassis motherboard as indicated by the pencil in the second photo. (The photos depict the similar DMR-EZ17 model.)

If there is no click the OPEN/CLOSE mini-switch has probably failed. Replacing the mini-switch is a simple soldering job but requires removal of the chassis motherboard from the machine.

A replacement mini-switch may be purchased at a nominal price from Panasonic’s National Parts Center. The link to the DMR-EZ27 parts list is found toward the lower right of the following page:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Video/DVD-Recorders-Players/DVD-Recorders/model.DMR-EZ27K

Less likely causes to DVD Drive mechanical malfunctions may come about by a disturbance to the DVD Drive’s wired power connector, the ribbon cable between the DVD Drive and the Digital PCB or a problem with the Digital PCB itself, as seen in the third photo. The DVD Drive on-board controller PCB, as seen in the fourth photo, may also be the cause of DVD Drive mechanical problems. I have addressed remedial procedures for DVD Drive disc tray misalignment at the AVS Forum.

When I push the open/close button there is definitely a click and the display says “open”. After a few seconds the display changes to “close”, but there is no movement in either direction or sound of any attempt to move. This all started when a DVD disc froze while watching it. While frozen I could hear it trying to read the disc. After trying to stop the read with the stop button and open the tray with the open and having no luck, I unplugged the unit to try to reset it. The tray would then open. I cleaned the dvd, then tried the dvd again only to have it freeze in the same spot. After again trying to stop and eject the dvd, I resorted to un-plugging it again, which did not work this time. That is what brought me to where I am now. Hope that helps you figure out something, I do appreciate all your help!

[QUOTE=RickBrins;2461731]This all started when a DVD disc froze while watching it. While frozen I could hear it trying to read the disc. After trying to stop the read with the stop button and open the tray with the open and having no luck, I unplugged the unit to try to reset it. The tray would then open. I cleaned the dvd, then tried the dvd again only to have it freeze in the same spot. After again trying to stop and eject the dvd, I resorted to un-plugging it again, which did not work this time. That is what brought me to where I am now.[/QUOTE]

Discard the disc.

If you’re using “garden variety” [B]16x[/B] discs found at a retail store you should be purchasing the best quality discs for a Panasonic, Taiyo Yuden Premium Line [B]8x [/B]DVD-R media. These may be purchased at a few online stores. I purchase my TY discs at supermiastore.com. Here is today’s one day special:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-silver-paper-sleeves-combo-200-pack?utm_source=emailSonic&utm_content=INTO&utm_medium=campaign&utm_term=DV%20001%200500&utm_campaign=091105%20HOT%20New%20Releases

I purchase TY Premium Line [B]8x[/B] DVD-R discs in boxes of 600 three or four times a year. Earlier this year I also purchased 600 TY Value Line discs. Of those Value Line discs I found about half of one 8x spindle to be problematic and a few problematic discs on a second 16x spindle. The other 540 (or so) discs have been recorded, finalized and archived with no problems. I no longer recommend TY Value Line discs.

[B]16x[/B] discs are satisfactory for use when burning duplicates in stand alone duplicators or computers. [B]8x[/B] discs are to be preferred for use in DVD recorders or HDD/DVD recorders. [B]8x[/B] discs provide for better “burns” require less current, perhaps increasing laser assembly longevity. I no longer use 16X discs with my fifteen Panasonic, two Philips and six Magnavox recorders.

That is good advice that I hadn’t heard before! I will make sure the next DVD’s I get are 8x instead of 16x. However, in the mean time, I am going to check the power cable and ribbon cable to make sure they are not loose. I don’t think that will solve this issue, but I am willing to try anything at this point. My wife says to try a hammer, but I’m not quite there yet.

I guess I should also add that right now there is no disc in the player, and it is still acting the same way. Or should I say not doing anything but putting the open and close messages on the display.

I’d side with your wife…:bigsmile:
I had a total of (6) EZ-17/27 model DVDRs and they all did what yours did (after anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months).
Luckly I was able to exchange all but the last one, which I requested my money back and they were quite happy to never see me again.
I don’t know what happened to the units I exchanged but the store was nice enough to get my stuck discs out of probably 4 out of the 6 machines. They were just -RW time shifted discs so they weren’t to valuable, it was more about the hassle.
IMO the EZ-x7 series Panasonics are about as bad as Panasonic got, by '08 with the introduction of the EZ-x8 line they fixed several of the major x7 series bugs, the exception is the EZ-48v combo which is still quite buggy.
If Digido’s fixes don’t work and you still want to stick with Panasonic(your unfinalized discs will only play on another Panny) I’d suggest a EZ-28 or the EA-18 if you don’t need the tuner.