Disc won't eject

The playback froze and disc wouldn’t eject, I unplugged the unit then plugged it back in and it opened. I tried to clean the disc and re-play, froze again this time nothing would open the disc tray and the player reports “no disc”. I tried the reset button, holding the power button for 10 seconds, and also tried holding the stop and channel up buttons together for 5 or more seconds. Nothing seems to work. ANYONE with any suggestions?

This post and its attached photos depict a DMR-EZ17, similar in most respects to the DMR-EZ27:

The problematic disc should be discarded.

Thanks for the quick reply! I used the manual slide on the underside to get the disc out, but I still get no response from the eject button even after numerous attempts at resets. I’m beginning to think the dvd drive is toast, but I’m sure someone has another suggestion.

When pressing the disc tray OPEN/CLOSE button is there a click or not?

If there is a click the OPEN/CLOSE mini-switch is probably functioning correctly. The mini-switch is operated by the lever behind the front panel OPEN/CLOSE button as indicated by the pencil in the first photo. The OPEN/CLOSE mini-switch is located on the chassis motherboard as indicated by the pencil in the second photo. (The photos depict the similar DMR-EZ17 model.)

If there is no click the OPEN/CLOSE mini-switch has probably failed. Replacing the mini-switch is a simple soldering job but requires removal of the chassis motherboard from the machine.

A replacement mini-switch may be purchased at a nominal price from Panasonic’s National Parts Center. The link to the DMR-EZ27 parts list is found toward the lower right of the following page:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Video/DVD-Recorders-Players/DVD-Recorders/model.DMR-EZ27K

Less likely causes to DVD Drive mechanical malfunctions may come about by a disturbance to the DVD Drive’s wired power connector, the ribbon cable between the DVD Drive and the Digital PCB or a problem with the Digital PCB itself, as seen in the third photo. The DVD Drive on-board controller PCB, as seen in the fourth photo, may also be the cause of DVD Drive mechanical problems. I have addressed remedial procedures for DVD Drive disc tray misalignment at the AVS Forum.

When I push the open/close button there is definitely a click and the display says “open”. After a few seconds the display changes to “close”, but there is no movement in either direction or sound of any attempt to move. This all started when a DVD disc froze while watching it. While frozen I could hear it trying to read the disc. After trying to stop the read with the stop button and open the tray with the open and having no luck, I unplugged the unit to try to reset it. The tray would then open. I cleaned the dvd, then tried the dvd again only to have it freeze in the same spot. After again trying to stop and eject the dvd, I resorted to un-plugging it again, which did not work this time. That is what brought me to where I am now. Hope that helps you figure out something, I do appreciate all your help!

[QUOTE=RickBrins;2461731]This all started when a DVD disc froze while watching it. While frozen I could hear it trying to read the disc. After trying to stop the read with the stop button and open the tray with the open and having no luck, I unplugged the unit to try to reset it. The tray would then open. I cleaned the dvd, then tried the dvd again only to have it freeze in the same spot. After again trying to stop and eject the dvd, I resorted to un-plugging it again, which did not work this time. That is what brought me to where I am now.[/QUOTE]

Discard the disc.

If you’re using “garden variety” [B]16x[/B] discs found at a retail store you should be purchasing the best quality discs for a Panasonic, Taiyo Yuden Premium Line [B]8x [/B]DVD-R media. These may be purchased at a few online stores. I purchase my TY discs at supermiastore.com. Here is today’s one day special:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-silver-paper-sleeves-combo-200-pack?utm_source=emailSonic&utm_content=INTO&utm_medium=campaign&utm_term=DV%20001%200500&utm_campaign=091105%20HOT%20New%20Releases

I purchase TY Premium Line [B]8x[/B] DVD-R discs in boxes of 600 three or four times a year. Earlier this year I also purchased 600 TY Value Line discs. Of those Value Line discs I found about half of one 8x spindle to be problematic and a few problematic discs on a second 16x spindle. The other 540 (or so) discs have been recorded, finalized and archived with no problems. I no longer recommend TY Value Line discs.

[B]16x[/B] discs are satisfactory for use when burning duplicates in stand alone duplicators or computers. [B]8x[/B] discs are to be preferred for use in DVD recorders or HDD/DVD recorders. [B]8x[/B] discs provide for better “burns” require less current, perhaps increasing laser assembly longevity. I no longer use 16X discs with my fifteen Panasonic, two Philips and six Magnavox recorders.

That is good advice that I hadn’t heard before! I will make sure the next DVD’s I get are 8x instead of 16x. However, in the mean time, I am going to check the power cable and ribbon cable to make sure they are not loose. I don’t think that will solve this issue, but I am willing to try anything at this point. My wife says to try a hammer, but I’m not quite there yet.

I guess I should also add that right now there is no disc in the player, and it is still acting the same way. Or should I say not doing anything but putting the open and close messages on the display.

I’d side with your wife…:bigsmile:
I had a total of (6) EZ-17/27 model DVDRs and they all did what yours did (after anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months).
Luckly I was able to exchange all but the last one, which I requested my money back and they were quite happy to never see me again.
I don’t know what happened to the units I exchanged but the store was nice enough to get my stuck discs out of probably 4 out of the 6 machines. They were just -RW time shifted discs so they weren’t to valuable, it was more about the hassle.
IMO the EZ-x7 series Panasonics are about as bad as Panasonic got, by '08 with the introduction of the EZ-x8 line they fixed several of the major x7 series bugs, the exception is the EZ-48v combo which is still quite buggy.
If Digido’s fixes don’t work and you still want to stick with Panasonic(your unfinalized discs will only play on another Panny) I’d suggest a EZ-28 or the EA-18 if you don’t need the tuner.