Disc quality, reliable?

There is huge possibility that iHAS324 is failing. Borrow some other DVD-RW to do the scanning/burning of the specific media batch.

No, it was just the Disc quality scan’s issue.
By the way, it seems Liteon doesn’t like Ritek media id :slight_smile:

My 124 F is also not the biggest fan of RITEKF1 but the results are much better than yours.

Don´t have a x24 E to test it, but I guess theres not much difference to my F

@PJayZ

Which issue do you mean?

Thanks, that could be firmware issue. My Liteon can’t burn on Ritek well =/
I had no problem with MBI media id.

Hm, RITEKF1 is very old, even my Benq 1640 know this MID. I know the quality vary, but at least all my F1, sold with x different brands should be better than this

Actual MBI are much more worse than in the past, but mostly readable without problems, high PIF total but the PI max mostly OK

Thanks, what about CMC Mag compared to those two media ids?

CMC also vary a lot, depends on what you get

Some of my older Liteons are also not in good condition like it was if the drives were new. Do you have Verbatim to test?

My Liteon is new, it has no issue with MBI media id.

MBI also have a big vary in quaity, but overall they work.

Maybe you got a real bad batch of RITEKF1, name of the brand?

Sony DVD-R 50x Taiwan

Huh, thats mostly very good F1

Very interesting thread. The quality, as expected, is much better at lower speeds. This will enable higher reading speeds on older drives such as GDR8162B (which limits the reading speed for the whole disc until re-reading + can cause permanent SCSi deadlocks until unplug/poweroff), but for newer disc drives, it should not make a huge difference. For archival purpose, always select low speeds. Error correction and good quality media is vital to compensate for data decay/disc degradation. Gladly, signs are optically visible and damage is more predictable than on hard/flash/floppy drives.

But I wonder, why the error count jumps high at around 300 MiB on the graph.

Well, I burned two DVD9 discs with both drives and noticed that Liteon burned it bad too.
Then the problem is that Liteon doesn’t like some media ids.

Is there any better DVD burner with Disc quality feature?

Which DL exactly do you have?

Either the disc is a replica brand which pretends to be a RiTEK, or the disc drive is failing.
You recorded at maximum speed? Was the data readable? Is it readable in any other drive?

S04? Could also be not the best quality, but all S04 I had were at least good redable

1 Like

Where was S04 mentioned?

You wrote Ritek.

And S04 is the Code Ritek use since x-years. D03 and D01 are EOL long time ago

1 Like

Actually, Lite-on doesn’t like some media ids but no problem with pioneer, need to get another DVD burner with Disc quality feature.

Liteon/LG/Samsung can be used for disc quality, but it´s not directly comparable with older drives. So I try to use only one drive to compare burn results, actual the 124 F.

Pioneer-drives don´t work for scans, no matter if you use the QSI-based DVD-drives or Pioneers own designed BD-drives

1 Like