Disc problem or burner problem

vbimport

Need some help here guys! You can see by the scan and the dye, that there is something wrong…but what is it? the drive or the disc? it was burned in a DH20A4P it’s a Ritek F16, although DiscSpeed isn’t showing the MIDs on any disc for some reason…

My vote goes for the disk being bad by having a bad spot in the dye
do other discs look and scan that bad or is it just the one disc?

I vote a bad disc, too.

There all bad apparently…I was on my last 2 anyway! This one is even worse then the other one! :eek:

Ouch!!! That is why I do not use anything with the Ritek name on it
anymore I just do not trust the Ritek brand any longer. :disagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2577367]Ouch!!! That is why I do not use anything with the Ritek name on it
anymore I just do not trust the Ritek brand any longer. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

:iagree: Maybe I should go get better media (I wonder what’s the best I can get at say, best buy or something, as I can’t order things online!) I used to like Ritek, but after these 2 discs being bad right out of the package, no longer! (Maybe I should just stick with Sony!)

OUCH!! :eek:

MediaTek chipset drives are pretty good with mediocre discs, too! Uhhh…usually. :slight_smile:

As it happens, I have a batch of F16’s that I’ve been slowly working through for awhile, overall no problems as yet personally. All burned at 8x (on a Sammy), except a couple done on an LG DVD recorder.

Mine are Maxell-branded…out of curiosity, what’s the brand of your discs, RCM?

EDIT: Got a TRT? Or was the disc tossed.

[QUOTE=RCM;2577368]…(Maybe I should just stick with Sony!)[/QUOTE]

Sony now brands Ritek disc models since Daxon has ceased production (to the best of my knowledge), and Sony doesn’t put out many (any?) DVD or CD media of its own. They started with Ritek for DVD+R DL, but now it appears they have also begun to use RitekF1 and Ritek F16. The grade may be a little better (as mentioned in the other thread), but I personally have yet to buy new media and experience anything other than 10 pieces/1 pack of the DL media.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2577389]OUCH!! :eek:

MediaTek chipset drives are pretty good with mediocre discs, too! Uhhh…usually. :slight_smile:

As it happens, I have a batch of F16’s that I’ve been slowly working through for awhile, overall no problems as yet personally. All burned at 8x (on a Sammy), except a couple done on an LG DVD recorder.

Mine are Maxell-branded…out of curiosity, what’s the brand of your discs, RCM?

EDIT: Got a TRT? Or was the disc tossed.[/QUOTE]

Mine are memorex branded! and here’s a TRT

[QUOTE=Albert;2577403]Sony now brands Ritek disc models since Daxon has ceased production (to the best of my knowledge), and Sony doesn’t put out many (any?) DVD or CD media of its own. They started with Ritek for DVD+R DL, but now it appears they have also begun to use RitekF1 and Ritek F16. The grade may be a little better (as mentioned in the other thread), but I personally have yet to buy new media and experience anything other than 10 pieces/1 pack of the DL media.[/QUOTE]

:eek: - thanks for the info Albert! :eek:

[QUOTE=RCM;2577460]Mine are memorex branded! and here’s a TRT[/QUOTE]

Might be worth trying a better brand, Memorex (IME) don’t always get the cream of the crop MID-wise. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the TRT - at least your Litey can read the disc back!

When I got scans like that on iffy media I just step down the speed a step or two and if I’m lucky they burn better.
My newer Optiarc drives seem to do well at rated or better speed though but most burners do better a step slower then rated, at least for me. I’ve had as many as 7 hooked up in here at once:cool:

Yeah, that’s what I tend to do as well, saves dumping the discs/wasting the rest of a pack. Or I try a different drive. :slight_smile:

One of those was burned at 12X, the other at 8X they both did the same thing around the same area, my best guess is a manufacturing error!

Well then, never mind…:bigsmile:
You could always buy 6 different burners then one of them would probably work OK;)

When I get a stack of poor quality media like that I just chunk the whole thing in the
trash can as a matter of fact I just threw out around 150 of those TDK CMC AM3 discs
and some fake Sonic TYG02 discs a few minutes ago, cleaning out the trash so to speak. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Dartman;2577776]Well then, never mind…:bigsmile:
You could always buy 6 different burners then one of them would probably work OK;)[/QUOTE]
What if all the discs had that same defect? then they would all have that same spot! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=getit29;2577781]When I get a stack of poor quality media like that I just chunk the whole thing in the
trash can as a matter of fact I just threw out around 150 of those TDK CMC AM3 discs
and some fake Sonic TYG02 discs a few minutes ago, cleaning out the trash so to speak. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I had to get rid of a bunch of unreadable Plasmon nexxtech CD-Rs because they were all unreadable too! :eek:

It’s hard to say, you’d have to burn a test disk in every burner you have and see what happens as some might be more sensitive to the spot then others. That’s why I like have a bunch of burners around, one might do great with media the others hate, plus it’s what we do:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Dartman;2577978]It’s hard to say, you’d have to burn a test disk in every burner you have and see what happens as some might be more sensitive to the spot then others. That’s why I like have a bunch of burners around, one might do great with media the others hate, plus it’s what we do:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

True! Not everyone has a bunch of random optical drives around! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Dartman;2577978]That’s why I like have a bunch of burners around, one might do great with media the others hate, plus it’s what we do:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Spoken like a true CDFreak :bigsmile: any CDFreak worth their weight in TY media
will have at least 3 burners and most of us will have around 6 - 9 or more burners
installed in our systems and exernal boxes to choose from. :wink:

[QUOTE=getit29;2577986]LOL!!! Spoken like a true CDFreak :bigsmile: any CDFreak worth their weight in TY media
will have at least 3 burners and most of us will have around 6 - 9 or more burners
installed in our systems and exernal boxes to choose from. ;)[/QUOTE]

I have 2 burners in my drawers, and one really old lite on CD-ROM drive in the closet!