Disc irregularities - dangerous?

Hi,

I bought a game few days ago and noticed that the DVD makes a somewhat alarming noise while spinning. It’s a kind of deep rattling. I’ve had old discs that began to resonate, but that was always a much more high-pitched and even sound. This is low-pitched and rough-sounding.

So I looked at the disc more closely and see that the edge is full of irregularities. At first, I thought bits were chipped off, but on closer inspection, it seems more like there is extra material there. It looks like - apologies for the inept comparisons - when you try to glue two things together and use too much glue. The extra is squeezed out at the edges. That’s what the edge of the disc looks like to me.

Now my question is really: Is this dangerous? Is there a good chance that it’ll eventually explode into a hundred pieces and/or otherwise damage my drive? I can probably get it replaced, but I know it’ll be a major pain in the ass to do so and I’d prefer not to. If it’s harmless, I can deal with the noise. It goes away once the game is running, since the disc isn’t really needed.

But I’d like to know if this indicates a risk to the disc or my computer serious enough to attempt getting a replacement.

not really much of a hazard unless it looks to be coming apart. other wize get usted to the noise

[QUOTE=Paco24682468;1933813]not really much of a hazard unless it looks to be coming apart. other wize get usted to the noise[/QUOTE]

Does it make that kinda sound on other Cd or DVD media that you place into load into the drive??? Can you read the media? Also what brand of drive do you have and what O/S are you running?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1933819]Does it make that kinda sound on other Cd or DVD media that you place into load into the drive??? Can you read the media? Also what brand of drive do you have and what O/S are you running?[/QUOTE]

The drive doesn’t make this sound with other media. The disc works fine, I’m just a little worried that there might be trouble later. The drive is a Philips DVDR1640P and I’m running Windows Vista (or XP, when I need it).

Hello Azure_One :slight_smile:

If you’re still worried about the sounds the game is making in your drive, perhaps backing it up (either to disc or image), and playing from that would be a possibility?

Making a backup disc would be ideal, but first I’ll have to figure out what to do about all that TAGES on the disc. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Azure_One;1933925]Making a backup disc would be ideal, but first I’ll have to figure out what to do about all that TAGES on the disc. :p[/QUOTE]

Hehe, good point. I’m not really a gamer these days, so I had no idea what protection was on the disc. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1933926]Hehe, good point. I’m not really a gamer these days, so I had no idea what protection was on the disc. ;)[/QUOTE]

Especially since I never mentioned which game this is. :smiley:

(It’s The Witcher, but that was sorta irrelevant to the inital question.)