Disc Decryption in Free Versions of DVDFab

vbimport

Clarification of Disc Decryption Policy in Free Versions of DVDFab

A change was made recently to correct the availability of decryption in free or unregistered versions of DVDFab. Note that this applies only to product licenses that are expired or in the free “HD Decrypter” mode. Going forward, full updated decryption capability will not be available if a trial mode or registered license for a related module is expired. For example, if you have a license for DVD Ripper that expires but no license for DVD Copy, then updated decryption for both DVD Ripper and DVD Copy will no longer be available. In the case of DVDs, the available decryption will be that of HD Decrypter mode, which may not contain the latest updates for all discs immediately.

A similar change applies to the Blu-ray product family that uses disc decryption (BD Copy, BD Ripper and BD to DVD). If a registered license or trial mode expires for anything in the product family, full decryption will not be available for the remaining modules unless they have a current unexpired license. HD Decrypter mode for this product famiily will have similar capabilities to those of Passkey Lite.

In this manner, full and updated decryption capability will be reserved for those that have supported the products by purchasing licenses, as is common in the industry. As in the past, bug fixes will apply to all versions. This thread will remain open for now. If you have any questions, please post them here.

If that’s the “clarification” I wonder what the original [I]less[/I] clear policy was! :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading it twice I’m still not sure what you can and cannot decrypt if you don’t have a lifetime license for all the various modules. :confused:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2725412]If that’s the “clarification” I wonder what the original [I]less[/I] clear policy was! :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading it twice I’m still not sure what you can and cannot decrypt if you don’t have a lifetime license for all the various modules. :confused:[/QUOTE]
Its simple if you own a BD license you can decrypt, if you don’t , well then:flower: ALL DVDs will stay the same as before with the free decrypter. I hope this is clear. If not ask again, its so easy even a Dragon can do it.:flower:

So in other words, with a lifetime license of DVD Copy but none of the other licenses, I should keep my old version of DVDFab and NOT upgrade if I want to simply decrypt Blu-ray disks?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2725416]So in other words, with a lifetime license of DVD Copy but none of the other licenses, I should keep my old version of DVDFab and NOT upgrade if I want to simply decrypt Blu-ray disks?[/QUOTE]
Everything is legal in Honah Lee, so what are you worried about? :flower::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2725416]So in other words, with a lifetime license of DVD Copy but none of the other licenses, I should keep my old version of DVDFab and NOT upgrade if I want to simply decrypt Blu-ray disks?[/QUOTE]Yes, I think so, but there is no assurance that it will always work and you will need updates for some types of DVDs or BDs sooner or later anyway. This applies universe-wide, Honah Lee, the Ringworld, Shire, Pern, Alastor etc. Basic BD decryption will still work, as in the free version of Passkey (MKBv12 or prior, no BD+).

A some background info first.
I’ve just completed an install of XP Pro SP3 on a seperate hard drive on my desktop. It has all Windows updates now up to the April 8,2014 cut off.
My regular OS is Vista. This is not a “dual boot” in that the MS dual boot screen doesn’t appear when I boot to Vista.
I just select F12 from the BIOS screen which brings up the harddrives & I select the XP drive when I want to use XP.
I’m not planning to ever use DVDFab V. 9 even though I have a lifetime for platinium. I’m still using V. 8.2.3.0 . This installed on the fresh XP Pro as “Never Been Used” so for now it is the full featured trial . I can’t say if it will work the same after the trial expires . DVDFab automatically started DVD Copy’s trial as soon as I ripped a DVD with it .
V This V.8 was able to decrypt & rip a fairly recent DVD .
“The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug” .
So far I just played it from the folder on the HDD with VLC & it played fine.
I probably won’t burn another backup .
This seems a good place to ask :
Will there be anymore updates for version 8 ?
Some people like me didn’t want the “call home” started in V.9 .

I guess we have to wait until a new version 8 is released, my thoughts would be if you own he will update it. But that’s just a guess. :slight_smile:

The last time it was discussed, the general plan was to provide a few updates per year for v8, perhaps 3 or 4, depending on developer availability. This was last year and the plans may have changed. The recent update of Qt may have some impact on this as well.

////////////UPDATE////////////
This is still the plan, 3-4 updates per year for v8, depending on workload and other factors. This will probably not go on indefinitely.

I have all lifetime except DVD Creator & Blu-ray creator. Once the trial expires on these two, will I lose all my disc decryption capability?

No certainly not. Your licenses are still valid for the others and they should continue to work normally.