Disastrous burning results with LDW-811S

:sad: if you have a look on the last burning results of Philips DVD+R 4x and Fuji DVD+R 4x on my 811S, you can see why I am so frustrated in the moment. I haven’t managed so far to get at least one decent burn with my 811S according to KProbe. Even though all DVDs play excellent on my external Sony DVD player, I feel rather uncomfortable with the current situation.

The Philips burn was the 5th of that media all showing more or less same results. The Fuji burn was the 2nd. The 1st I did with burning speed 8x the max value Nero offered, with even worse results. The 2nd burn shown here I did with 2,4x.

Could it be that my burning results are so bad because it is an external USB drive?

Or do I have an faulty drive? As I got it through an auction at Ebay I do not see a chance to give it back to LiteOn. And if it turns out to be a drive failure I wouldn’t buy a new one right now but wait until double layer and/or blue laser drives have become the market standard. So I’ve to live for a while with this drive.

I can see four ways to possibly improve the situation.

1. Change media. I don’t beleive this will solve my problem because I’ve seen here so many excellent reults for the a. m. media.

2. Change OS. So far I burn under Windows 2000 Pro, but I could switch to XP Pro. perhaps the USB drive is better supported under XP.

3. Change burning mode. All burns are done as DVD-ROM UDF/ISO (btw, I have to enforce the DVD-Video compatibility mode so that my external player recognizes the media.), I could switch to DVD-VIDEO.

4. Change burning SW. So far Nero 6.3.1.10, but where to?

I’am grateful for any advice. Many thanks in advance.

mumdigau

Don’t know why the attachments didn’t show up even though I pushed upload?!

I had before a 411@811s and made some dvd+r and -r. The results with kprobe were bad… but dvd runs perfectly on standalone player…
I changed to a 812s and tried to use kprobe again with the same disk and oh surprise, the result was good.
So be aware of it. Maybee you have the same story as me. Bad result with kprobe and 811, but a good burn…

Yeah, there had been some forum about some 811S not reporting correct results.
Try scanning in another drive if you have this possibility and you will see…

As I can see (and hear) so far I get good burns, but the KProbe 2.1.0 results … Philips PI max/avg 640(!)/215(!), Po max/avg 3/0.03, and Fuji PI max/avg 959(!)/653(!), PO max/avg 15(!)/1,62: horrible.

I could neglect the KProbe results, but others succeed in getting decent values for PI and PO on their 811S, so there is a concern.

I could also take into account to change firmware (now HS0P) to HS0K or HS0Q (seems to be more troublesome than HS0P according to some threads here).

mumdigau

i will post my result this evening and you will see the difference for the same media…

There are also apparently difference between some 811 and others (i had one of the low… )

OK first as far as firmwares there are huge threads for each of the firmwares that show peoples results… i have a ton of hs0p vs hs0q examples in the hs0q thread . i am running hs0q now (speedhacked, read patched and autobitset) and i am pleased with the results.

as for the drives scanning results here is my post showing the differences in scanning results between my 811s and 411s on the same disc .

my results were 1017 max 155 ave PI 176 max 1.17 ave PO in the 811 and
536 max 112.30 ave PI 3 max .01 ave PO for the same disc in my 411

and even more important… THE DISC PLAYS and as long as it does no matter what kprobe says it is a GOOD DISC.

here are my results with the same dvd burned with the 411@811…
tested with kprobe on the 2 drives, same configuration…
Tested with several other burns, i get the same result…

@BelSteak

Thanks for posting your interesting results. The question now is: Which read scan reflects the real burn quality? And did you have a possibility to compare above shown results to a read scan of the dvd burner you used (411@811)?

I’m getting more and more unsure about the reliability of KProbe’s scan results. I just downgraded to HS0K. I haven’t yet burned with HS0K, but I rescanned my last HS0P-burns, and KProbe showed PI/PO results reduced by a factor of ten!

@clnson

Vou’re right: What finally counts is the burn quality you see and hear during playback.
Just another question: there are some threads in this forum which show 811S’s reporting ‘wrong’ results (for whatever reason) with KProbe. Supposed, these results are wrong (as might be true for my drive), does that mean these results are worthless, or do you think they can be used at least to rank the scans against each other in order to separate good and bad burns on this drive?

mumdigau

mumdigau, this should help clarify things for you (specifically the last paragraph).

If you haven’t already, this thread is also a good read.

yep what the drive reports as a error seems to change with each firmware. for me i am lucky and besides my 811 i have a 411. the 411 does -r media and slower +r better than the 811 so that is what i use it for and the fs0f firmware seems to be all that is needed for that so as it remains unchanged i have kept it as my “scanning” drive.

if kprobe doesn’t do it for you i would suggest 2 other programs to try dvdinfopro error test and cd/dvd speed speed test dvdinfopro will show you error blocks and cd/dvd speed will show you slowdowns which indicate errors that have to be reread.

and b4 rdgrimes says it… your drive is showing you exactly what it “sees” so the firmware change is changing what it qualifies as an error. it isn’t “wrong” in that sense… just not very accurate.

here are the three with a kprobe to show you a comparison

here is the help file info on what you see
Graph

The graph displays coloured blocks giving the following information.

Each colored block represents a number of 2048 byte sectors depending on the media and are as follows:

DVD-5 Single Layer = 400 x 2048 byte blocks

DVD-9 Dual Layer = 800 x 2048 bytes blocks

CD = 80 x 2048 byte blocks

DDCD & HD-BURN CD = 160 x 2048 byte blocks

Block Colors

GREEN - The green blocks represent groups of blocks with no error.

WHITE - The white blocks represent a block that gave an error but a retry read was successful.

RED - The red blocks represent errors that failed even on a retry.

ERRORS

Reads are done in multiple blocks at a time as shown above. When an error occurs the blocks are retried, if successful a white block is drawn and testing continues. If the retries also fail, the program enters a mode where each individual block in the group are tested. Each individual block that fails will be listed in the list box to the right along with its hexadecimal LBA (Logical Block Address). For convenience the list is numerically numbered on the extreme left, this number if for your convenience and has no meaning to the error, other than the sequential order that it occurred.

here is dvd speed on the same disc… it got over pretty quick :slight_smile:

and lastly kprobe… spikes over 5 are read errors as shown in either of the other 2