Disaster - Lost all my music in Win Media Player

Hi Members

Today, I opened Media Player for the first time in 3 weeks.

Opened the heading ‘Music’ screen reads -
'There are no media items present '.

Opened ’ Playlists ’ the list of songs appear under each file name
but when I try to open a file to play music a message reads -
’ Windows Media Player cannot play the file’

I did a restore back - date but same result.

I had about 700 music files collected over past 8 years, including LPS and tapes modified with Spin It Again and converted…

To make matters worse I went into I Tunes to recover music I have purchased over the past few years ( about 160 ) and it only lists 52 items in ‘Purchased’.

Something has happened in the last three weeks but not sure what.

Can some one throw me a help line or am I totally sunk ?

Parpi

Ouch…been there, done that…except my music was stored on crappy DVD media. These days I keep it all on an external HDD and optical media.

Bit of a stupid question, but have you checked the actual folders/partition that you have the files stored to see if the files are still there?

Tried a search for a filename that you can remember to see what shows up?

It’s very odd that your “regular” music files as well as purchased stuff fron iTunes would go missing, especially if the files are in different locations on your drive…

I’m guessing you’ve run a virus/malware scan on the offchance something like that might be to blame?

Are you using Windows7? WMP12 in Win7 has a known bug that not all users experience where WMP loses all the media.

It can find it again of you refresh the library but loses it again repeatedly.

I experienced a variant of this on my Notebook where it would refuse to import my videos into my WMP library, it would play them if I double clicked on them in Explorer…

there is a long proceedure for fixing media player, but I simply renstalled the OS (it took three tries) until it worked
correctly.

Recently I noticed that the setting to list albums (within “artist”) by release date (newest album on top
rubber-bands back to the default setting of alphabetical listing

Check in the actual folders where the music is supposed to be to see if the files are actually still there…

AD

Thanks for both your replies.

Apart from security / malware, over the last few weeks I have run items to try to clear the pesky OrbitDownloader - Eusing Reg Cleaner, CCleaner, RevoUninstall plus DriverFinder and Driver scanner.

When I click ’ Documents and Settings / My Music ’ on Windows opening page, all my music files appear but in Media Player ‘All Music ’ Genre’, etc . says it has no media files. In ’ My Play Lists" each playlist name and all the songs in them are listed but if I click them - no music.

I removed Media Player and reloaded with MP 11. Still no music.
Loaded Monkey Media told it to search all files and all music lists appear and play.

[B]Question: What is stopping Windows Media Player from playing files ?

Appreciate advice.
Parpi

Read this post by AllanDeGroot then get ZTree & follow the instructions. You will need to do this with each partition or hard drive you have lost the file from.
Allan told me about ZTree & can instruct you better in its use.

This is the ZTree site:
http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm

I think the subject and methods of dealing with it were well covered in the other topic,

HOWEVER many of us deal with such problems and enjoy resolving them for others…

Personally dealing with the problems others have is generally less aggrevating than dealing with my own technical problems

AD

Allan , I think the other topic covered it too but depending on skill level some people need more help.
@ parpi , Did you give ZTree a try at finding your music files ?
A suggestion is to create a few new music files . Rip a CD or something . Then try those on WMP . If you can’t play those then something must have went wrong in the new install of WMP .Try loading a file manually in WMP with the File pulldown.

I think the main thing is understanding Files and Folders, with Windows you have everything you need. I have always used Explorer File Manager, and store and name my Files. I either have a Data HDD or Partition, name the Folders and Files. Then I know where to look for these Files with Explorer File Manager. You can have various Programs to play your Music Files, but knowing where they are located is vital. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2592615]I think the main thing is understanding Files and Folders, with Windows you have everything you need. I have always used Explorer File Manager, and store and name my Files. I either have a Data HDD or Partition, name the Folders and Files. Then I know where to look for these Files with Explorer File Manager. You can have various Programs to play your Music Files, but knowing where they are located is vital. :cool:[/QUOTE]

There are limitations to Windows Explorer.

One of them is being able to easily move files selectively (sorted by criteria that you choose) and moving files “In Path”

the first time you use ZTree, sort files by File specifications
Tag a group of files, then sort by another criteria tag another group of files then revert back to filespec*.* and procede to Alt-Copy your files
(recreating the directory/Folder structure they were sorted in it’s kinda neat.

the one thing ZTree cannot do is move directories closer to the root

So if you have a bunch of files in a folder that;s burried six branchings down the path you can’t move it closer to the trunk so to speak…

Windows Explorer does that EASILY.
Renaming folders is easier in Windows Explorer

It’s a matter of understanding that no tool does all jobs
and that while hammers and screwdrivers are nice, sometimes you need a wrench or a collator:)

AD