Disappointing Lite-On LTD 165

I read lots of tests before buying this DVD-ROM. I wanted a Pioneer DVD 115 but read that the Lite-On was a much faster drive for DAE - and that’s something I use a lot.

A review I read on Amazon’s UK website said that it could rip CD’s at 38x - I’ve got to 12.8x using Nero’s latest version of DAE and that’s as fast as it goes. I’ve got DMA enabled and it’s sitting on IDE channel 2 as a master as Lite-On recommend.

Also, though I don’t think I’ll play many movies on my PC, I did try the drive out and there’s a lack of smoothness to the video output. I’m using the copy of Power DVD 4 bundled with the drive and I have stopped using certain video features to take the load off the CPU as Cyberlink recommend.

I’ve downloaded a Cyberlink patch and installed Direct-X 9.0 also but movies are still a real disappointment on my PC. My graphics card is an unremarkable Trio, my sound card is a Soundblaster 64 and my CPU is an Pentium II 450 Mhz (can that be right - it’s what the BIOS detects?). I’ve got stacks of disk space and stacks of memory.

The only thing I can think of is to connect the drive to the IDE controller card I bought to support my Maxtor 40 Gb HDD. Is that worthwhile? Any other ideas? I love Lite-On products but I’m not getting the best out of this baby… Help!

:bow:

Hi and welcome! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your problems. Some thoughts:

DAE not reading fast: DMA is not really enabled or your computer may not be fast enough.
Choppy video playback: DMA is not really enabled or your graphic-card is not good enough.
You may try to connect it to the controller card but I doub it will help.

Tried to delete the drive from device manager, reboot and let windows re-install it and then checked again if DMA is enabled?

Also tried to read a data disc in Nero CD-Speed or similar programs? To see if it reads data at the speed it should?

And to be honest - PII 450MHz and Trio graphic card do not sound like the fastest components nowadays :wink:

OC-Freak. I’m grateful for your reply.

After I sent my mail, I installed a small utility (MSCDEX?) from the PowerDVD 4 CD and it’s updated my autoexec.bat and config.sys (I run Windows 98SE by the way) and I can now rip audio at 42x and read data and DVD much faster than before. Nero’s utilies are giving me some very useful data!

I noticed that the drive is now reading in CAV mode and not Z-CLV which the previous tests revealed. That’s obviously a good thing :slight_smile: The fact that it’s ripping audio much faster on the last track than on the first should have made me realise that I guess…

I’m taking your advice about processor and graphics card to heart. Looks like I gotta spend money. If anyone can advise how I can spend it wisely… well, I’ll appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!

@funkycd,

I dont know how much you have to spend but I’d go to an Aldi store this Thursday with £850 and buy an MD8080XL.

Odia.

Originally posted by funkycd
I’m taking your advice about processor and graphics card to heart. Looks like I gotta spend money. If anyone can advise how I can spend it wisely… well, I’ll appreciate it.