Joey the intern demonstrates a thermite hard drive cleansing

For those of you that are lucky enough to have cable and it carries Tech TV, you may want to tune in this weekend. It seems Joey has been doing a little research on how to quickly erase a hard drive in the event of a MP3 raid. When you connect the wires on this puppy, even Orrin Hatch will be out of luck when it comes time to search for the evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

I don't know about you, but the RIAA is starting to scare the piss out of me. Every time I turn on the news there's something about the RIAA suing someone, and getting sued would really put a dent in my five-year plan. So just to be on the safe side I did some research into the wonderful world of thermite.

Thermite is a stable chemical compound that, when ignited, turns into molten iron and burns at approximately 3,000 degrees Celsius. This wonderful substance is used commercially to weld together railroad tracks. But even if you don't hang out in railroad yards, you've probably seen this substance in action already.

For the purposes of our thermite demonstration, we decided the ignition system was better off being powered by a battery than by the juice from the computer's power supply. Why? Because in a standard police raid, the first thing they do is cut the power. And how are you supposed to activate a kill switch without power?

ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like someone has done his homework! There is a 90 second video for those of us that can't get the show. Now, I don't recommend this sort of pyrotechnics so please don't try this at home, a dorm or even your cubicle at work. However, it never hurts to have a plan "B" to avoid troublesome litigation. Joey may be on to something.

Source: Tech TV

No posts to display