Disapointed since cant Burn at 16X even with 16X Certified media!.. What wrong?

vbimport

Ok, I tried to do a serach about this topic but didnt help me too much.

I Dont know if people can burn at (16X) at these days but i cant.

Ok, Firstlly i have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with Athlon 64 3200 CPU, 1 GB Memory (Corsair) with a NT6600 GT Nvidea Video Card, so i dont know if i need more machine to handle a 16X Burning.

Im using a 200 GB WD IDE Hard Disc and the Internal Benq DW1620 Burner with the B7V9RPC1 Speedpatched BY MCSE of Ala42. The HD its in the Primary IDE at Master, Burner in Secundary IDE at Master too… both using 80 Pin IDE Cables.

The HD and the Burner are controlled by the Nforce4 Parallel ATA Controller.

HD with Ultra DMA 5 - Ultra 100 Enabled and the Benq with Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra 33 enabled

I have read that the nvidea drivers could be the problem but i got back to the Microsoft Standar IDE Controller and got worse results (Ripping at 2X) when i could rip at 16x using the Nvidea Controllers.

Ohh… im Using Verbatim 16x Media MCC 004 and Verbatim 8X Media MCC 003 (Using MCC 004 Strategy since they are suppostly able to manage 16X Burns)

Im using DVD Decrypter. Havent tried any other Burnig Program.

Well, thats all… i would like to know if any of these parameters its wrong, or any other suggestion… any problem whit using DVD Decrypter??.. and what about those Nvidea Drivers??.. Thats all…

Thanks In Advance,
Carlos.

What speed do you actually achieve? Average & maximium from the DVDD log.

I’ve used the MCC003 on my benq & the best I get is 12x but I’m using the standard B7T9 firmware.

I have noticed that DVD decrypter does not burns as fast as Nero when used in conjunction with DVD Shrink. I have a BenQ DW1620 as well. Nero does burn at 16x using MCC media. Also burns at 16x with TYs and 12x with Riteks. I have a Biostar board with VIA chipset. Generally DVD-ROMs are faster readers.

Check to see that dma is enabled for all drives in your bios, and that it is reporting dma during the startup screens. Windows sometimes falslly reports that it is running dma (happended with two nvidia based motherboards to me). Do a cdspeed burst rate test to verify that your drive is actually running fast enough for 16x burning.

I don’t bother. I burn at 4x, on whatever media I have. And my movies always work and have good probes. Why bother with 16x? To gain a couple minutes? If 8x works well for you… shrug

@carlosgil77,

Follow what ripit said. You need to check the DMA after reinstalling windows IDE drivers. Here’s more info: Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows XP, 2000, Me, 9x

Burst rate should be at least 22-23 Mb/s.

Hi, The Best i Get is 12X, the Average 8X.

Ill check the DMA in Bios… I also will try Nero.

Hi, Well… i could burn at 4X too… in fact, i normally burns at 8X and i fell good with that speed, my movies always works great too. Why Bother with 16X??
Well, I have a 16X Burner, I have 16X Certified Media…i have a descent CPU… at least i want to see that my System its able to burn 16X, ill check the burn quality after that, and then will stick to the prefered speed. These will be also a Learning for the Future… so its about experimenting too…Thats all… See ya Later

Hi, well… that post doesnt help too much since im using the Nvidea Controllers… do u know how to back again to the Normal Windows Controllers?..

Move the burner to secondary master. Burners do not like being on the same channel and the HD. The nvidia drivers are ok. I use mine all the time and I dont have any coasters.

I just have done the Benchmark of Nero CD-DVD Speed and got 24 MB/s… but i guess thats a Reading Burst Rate… its the same Writing Burst Rate?
I used a 3.95 GB Data Disc (Medal Of Honor)

Hi, thanks… but they are actually in different channels, HD in The Primary and Burner in the Secondary.

thats good enough for 16x burning and your dma is set right if you got that speed. Dma, and or your computers, controlers and drives ability to transfer data fast enough is not the problem.
Fyi all that tests is how well the hardware can transfer data so yes it applys to reading and writing and 24 sounds about right.

Is it possible that youi have the default write speed set at 12X rather than max, or 16x in DVD Shrink???

I can burn at 16x using Verbatum 16x DVD+R (MCC004) and BenQ 1620 with B7T9 using DVD Shrink. QS is better if I burn at 8X or 12X. Whereas Fuji YUDEN002 DVD+R 8X burned at 16X will have better QS than the Verbatum 16X burned at 16X.

Another possiblity is that your HDD is fragmented, but with 200 Gig this doesn’t sound likely.

Hi, u know… i was thinking the same, I tried DVD Decrypter and Alchohol 120 Today. I set bouth at 16X Writing Speeds, they gave me like 9X Average speed, but what i noticed was that both gave me 12.0X at Maximum Speed. Like if i chosed 12X, im pretty sure that i Set at 16X,… ill try setting at Max and see what speeds i get.

Im using MCC004 too… and MCC003 with MCC004 Writing Strategy.
I could try B7T9 too… and what its QS??..sorry my Ignorance hehe :slight_smile:

Later,… Thanks to all the Replies…

QS = Quality Score, as measured by Nero’s Disk Quality Test (that measures PIE/PIF/Jitter). With several burners, the 16x Verbatim only burns at 12x max. Also, he meant the burn quality is usually better to burn those 16x Verbatims at 12x.

Just for info:

I have a BenQ 1620 with B7P9 - stock - no MCSE, different write strategies or other modifications.

I have success with the Verbatim 16x DVD-R media I got from BestBuy. Burns movies at 16x using Nero 6.6.0.6 that are output from either DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter. No stuttering, no issues.

Using DVD Identifier 4.0.1, I get the following:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Thanks for the clearing… Good to know that about how those verbatim woks in different speeds…

Thanks… gonna try Nero with my current FW… i havent used Nero because i have read that DVD Decrypter its better in quality burns, burning DVD Video… dont know if its a myth or not…

Before getting the native 16x media, I had better results with the B7P9 firmware than any later firmware version I had tried.

That said, I have not used any other firmware than B7P9 with this 16x media.

Perhaps back-flashing to B7P9 may help.

Good luck.