Disabling Superfectch with an SSD

vbimport

Okay here is the scoop. I have build 2 new systems in the past month. Both have SSDs for Operating system drives. They are Vertex 2 120GB drives. I never owned an SSD before these 2 builds, so I did as I usually do, I try to learn as much as I can about a new piece of Hardware.

The first and most foremost thing I learned is never defrag an SSD. Now it becomes interesting. I also learned that disabling [B]Superfetch in the Services of Windows 7[/B] will actually help your performance and save wear and tear on the SSD. This is the part I am not so sure about. Could this be true and why?

I don’t know if disabling superfetch will improve performance (I doubt it), but I don’t think it will have any impact on wear and tear, since superfetch [U]reads[/U] pages into RAM and only [U]writing[/U] to SSD puts wear and tear on it.

If your SSD has good random read performance, Windows 7 should automatically disable superfetch anyway:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

I wouldn’t worry about it and just let Windows 7 decide whether to use superfetch or not.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2587633]I don’t know if disabling superfetch will improve performance (I doubt it), but I don’t think it will have any impact on wear and tear, since superfetch [U]reads[/U] pages into RAM and only [U]writing[/U] to SSD puts wear and tear on it.

If your SSD has good random read performance, Windows 7 should automatically disable superfetch anyway:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

I wouldn’t worry about it and just let Windows 7 decide whether to use superfetch or not.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that link Dragemester, very interesting indeed, just to let you know, I am not doing this for a better WEI score, I am already at 7.9 with my new build. You can see the components in my sig. I know from just making slight adjustments in what SATA ports I am connected to make a big difference in how my SSD performs. Thank for you feedback.