Disable integrated GPU in a laptop

vbimport

Hello once more.

First of all i didn’t knew where to put this topic, so i left here. Hope its okay.

So I just ordered a new Acer Aspire AS7740 laptop and already I have a question:
Can you disable the integrated GPU in a laptop?
As I know the i7-620M has an integrated GPU on it, but it might eat the processors GHz while its working, so the processor will not show its all turbo-boost power. So I am wondering can you disable it somehow so it would not effect the processors performance? Also if you do disable it will it effect anything else but the battery life?
(I don’t have the laptop yet, because its being send from Germany to my place).

This laptop will have:
Intel Core i7-620M 2x 2,66 GHz + Turbo-boost up to 3.33GHz
4096 MB DDR3 RAM
500 GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD5650 1024MB DDR3 VRAM
17,3" HD Acer CineCrystal High-Brightness mit LED Backlight
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Also it would be nice to receive some comments on this acer product. Maybe someone has something like this one, whats the problem with it, how is the quality and so on.

Thanks in advance.

If the onboard graphics could be disabled the option would be in your bios, but if you managed to disable it, you wouldn’t have any display at all. For your laptop don’t worry about the performance hit, Video options should be available from the video settings screen. I bought a friend an Acer laptop about one and a half years ago and she hasn’t had any problems yet.

So do i understand correctly

• if i disable the integrated Intel GPU on my CPU in BIOS, it will lead to the fact that the screen will not work despite the fact that this laptop has an extra ATI Radeon in it?
    Because as far as i know the Intel GPU is only useful when the laptop is not plugged in, therefore the battery life is expanded, while as you will use the ATI Radion all the time, the battery life will not be so long, only about 1h or maybe 2h.

Also the settings for graphics you mentioned are just typical windows 3D effects, shadows and so on? or there is more to it? Sorry for a silly question, but its my big jump from winXP to win7.

I’m sorry I simply overlooked the add-in graphics card in your original post. No, you can safely disable the onboard video, no problems. I apologize. You should have several video options available from the control panel of your ATI card. They used to call CCC, Catalyst Control Center. I’m guessing you have it installed with your card, if not you can download it free from ATI. Once again, sorry for not reading your original post all the way through.

Well no problem :bigsmile:

Just want to confirm:
[B]* The disable of integrated GPU should be made in BIOS?

• It might or should increase the performance of the CPU and Radeon will be used all the time instead without any glitches or errors?
  • Also I wonder if Intel integrated GPU works with ATI GPU, will it unleash better GPU performance overall? [/B][I]For example when playing games, using 3D programs and other.[/I]

And thanks for fast replies :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=MicroAlex;2498272]
Just want to confirm:

• The disable of integrated GPU should be made in BIOS?[/quote]Either this laptop has a dual-GPU solution, or the Intel VGA is permanently disabled by factory.
    Get the manual from Acer website and see what it states.
  • It might or should increase the performance of the CPU and Radeon will be used all the time instead without any glitches or errors?

The system will then run on higher temperatures. Depending on the quality of the thermal solution, the system might slow down due to throttling.
Normal operation using the IGP won’t affect CPU performance. Also, the CPU changes the core frequency on demand (depends on selected power scheme).

• Also I wonder if Intel integrated GPU works with ATI GPU, will it unleash better GPU performance overall? [I]For example when playing games, using 3D programs and other.[/I]

That’s unlikely.

Michael

I did check Acer.com for a manual, all i could find was the quick start guide. And in that guide i didn’t find any info i needed. Just saw one maybe useful thing:
[B]Graphics
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650*
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470*
• Integrated Intel® GMA HD graphics[/B]

I guess that means that it has a GMA and a Radeon, because there is no " [B]*[/B] " symbol on the “[B]Integrated Intel® GMA HD graphics[/B]” part. So i think they both work, maybe only at different situation…
Example:
When unplugged the GMA works for less power consumption, when plugged in the Radeon starts to work for max performance. ([I]just my opinion, but i can be wrong[/I]). But as i mentioned before, I think that the overall CPU performance will be worse if the GMA is running at the same time. Like the GMA will eat CPUs GHz. ([I]I might be wrong here also, thats why I am asking[/I])

[QUOTE=MicroAlex;2498292]I did check Acer.com for a manual, all i could find was the quick start guide. And in that guide i didn’t find any info i needed. [/quote]Excellent support :bigsmile:

Just saw one maybe useful thing:
[B]Graphics
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650*
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470*
• Integrated Intel® GMA HD graphics[/B]

I guess that means that it has a GMA and a Radeon, because there is no " [B][/B] " symbol on the “[B]Integrated Intel® GMA HD graphics[/B]” part.
Then check, what the "
" means. My guess: “* optional”

So i think they both work, maybe only at different situation…
I had a look at Acer.de - they don’t mention dual GPU operation at all. So I have to assume that the IGP is factory disabled.

Michael

Well yes " * " is optional… but as i ordered one with Radeon i dont know how that will turn out, eider with only Radeon working, or both.
Atm will browse the internet for more information… maybe i will get something this time.

By the way… why do you need a manual for a laptop these days? Do they actually still make them? :bigsmile: I dont actually remember any of my friends or clients having some detailed manuals with their products. If even they did thats probably a few years back :slight_smile: tho I am from Lithuania, and all kinds of bull sh*t is possible here. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=MicroAlex;2498301]Well yes " * " is optional… but as i ordered one with Radeon i dont know how that will turn out, eider with only Radeon working, or both. [/quote]I bet you have only the Radeon. A switchable VGA is a strong selling argument, so Acer would have mentioned that if it were present :wink:

By the way… why do you need a manual for a laptop these days? Do they actually still make them?
A system documentation still has some very useful information (or at least should have). Admitted, printed manuals were abolished for cost reasons. :frowning:

Michael

Simply, you cannot disable it because it would make no sense to have an Laptop without graphic at all.
Never ever this Laptop has more than one GPU!!