Disable Autoplay

vbimport

Hello One and All,
I just read the messages and find that I wonder why a person would want or need to shut off the Autoplay feature of a device. Since the procedure is given in several messages I figure it must be usefull information that I don’t understand.

Hi Mick and welcome to the show.

The main reason to disable Autorun is that some common malware depends on being allowed to run on your system thereby infecting it before your defending software is able to scan it. That goes for CDs, DVDs, HDDs and USB sticks and storage cards.
The best policy therefore is to connect the device, then right click it and run a scan with your up-to-date antivirus program or something like Malwarebytes. If that is all clear, then go ahead and run whatever it is on the device that you are interested in.
It only takes a few seconds and is MUCH safer!

PS. Why is this question being asked in the DVD Fab forum? Perhaps a mod would like to move it to somewhere more appropriate…?

[QUOTE=deanimator;2546679]Hi Mick and welcome to the show.

The main reason to disable Autorun is that some common malware depends on being allowed to run on your system thereby infecting it before your defending software is able to scan it. That goes for CDs, DVDs, HDDs and USB sticks and storage cards.
The best policy therefore is to connect the device, then right click it and run a scan with your up-to-date antivirus program or something like Malwarebytes. If that is all clear, then go ahead and run whatever it is on the device that you are interested in.
It only takes a few seconds and is MUCH safer!

PS. Why is this question being asked in the DVD Fab forum? Perhaps a mod would like to move it to somewhere more appropriate…?[/QUOTE]
I ask it in the forum because there had been discussion about off topic items being acceptable in this forum and since this is the forum I am particularly interested and this is the forum that the subject of Autoplay disabling was discussed I figured it was the correct forum. If I’ve stepped on any toes I sincerely regret it. Sorry!
Now for your answer. It was most informative and I the next thing I will do is regedit autoplay off. Thanks for the quick response. HAGD!

Actually, i just removed tons of viruses from two computers which came from USB keys. I’ve read that 25% of viruses infect computers this way. I use a USB key to go to the local store and print documents from there; it’s possible that it came from there.

The autorun on USB is completely silent, so you get infected and don’t know it.

I disable CD/USB autoplay on all computers now for basic anti-virus protection. Group policy (gpedit.msc) -> administrative templates -> system -> turn off autoplay -> enabled -> all drives.