Dirty Disk Error ... DVD Extra's responsible?

Hi all.

I know I’ve seen this problem resolved elsewhere over the years and no searching has yielded the solution.

I am making a backup of the first Shrek movie, extra’s included, onto a Verbatim DVD+RW (brand new stack). The original movie plays perfectly in my laptop and on my Sony DVD player. However, when I burn the movie on the DVD and attempt to play it on the Sony, the movie plays fine, but the extra’s stop the disk when attempting to play, and a window shows saying: “The disk is dirty.”

This is my Burner

I’m using Nero

From what I remember, the problem MAY involve the .ifo’s created not pointing correctly to the extra .vob info folders and what not.

Thank you in advance.

[QUOTE=beck_77;1932444]Hi all.

I know I’ve seen this problem resolved elsewhere over the years and no searching has yielded the solution.

I am making a backup of the first Shrek movie, extra’s included, onto a Verbatim DVD+RW (brand new stack). The original movie plays perfectly in my laptop and on my Sony DVD player. However, when I burn the movie on the DVD and attempt to play it on the Sony, the movie plays fine, but the extra’s stop the disk when attempting to play, and a window shows saying: “The disk is dirty.”

This is my Burner

I’m using Nero

From what I remember, the problem MAY involve the .ifo’s created not pointing correctly to the extra .vob info folders and what not.

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

If memory serves me right the shrek disk are DVD9 format so you must be compressing them to DVD5 format?? Did you check to see if the booktype was at DVD-ROM and also how fast is your burn speed? Are you using the Asus to copy and burn by itself of another drive scanning and the asus to burn??? Also are the firmware upto date? Have you tried to burn to verbatim DL media???

Hi, thanks for reading first of all.

Off the bat, I’m not sure whether or not either the Shrek DVD is a DVD9 format or not, and nor do I know if it is/was being compressed to DVD5 format, nero doesn’t ask nor show anywhere that I can immediately see. Knowing that I get better results, I do all burning at 2x, and sorry again, I don’t know if the booktype is set to whatever. Shrek is loaded into my laptop CD tray and the ASUS does all the burning. Firmware for both cd drives is up to date (personal pet peeve as is) along with drivers and nero software updates as well. I have a Memorex DVD DL that I won’t use purposely for a few reasons; many swear by Verbatim and the other ‘competitors’ don’t even compete. I trust and value all one’s word and work on this site. In addition to the DL being Memorex, my Sony DVD player won’t recognize DL CD’s anyhow.

Just for clarity, I have made several movie backups prior to Shrek, and never, not one problem before, even using the ‘M’ brand DVD’s, and always with Nero and the ASUS when the original is in my laptop.

[QUOTE=beck_77;1932653]Hi, thanks for reading first of all.

Off the bat, I’m not sure whether or not either the Shrek DVD is a DVD9 format or not, and nor do I know if it is/was being compressed to DVD5 format, nero doesn’t ask nor show anywhere that I can immediately see. Knowing that I get better results, I do all burning at 2x, and sorry again, I don’t know if the booktype is set to whatever. Shrek is loaded into my laptop CD tray and the ASUS does all the burning. Firmware for both cd drives is up to date (personal pet peeve as is) along with drivers and nero software updates as well. I have a Memorex DVD DL that I won’t use purposely for a few reasons; many swear by Verbatim and the other ‘competitors’ don’t even compete. I trust and value all one’s word and work on this site. In addition to the DL being Memorex, my Sony DVD player won’t recognize DL CD’s anyhow.

Just for clarity, I have made several movie backups prior to Shrek, and never, not one problem before, even using the ‘M’ brand DVD’s, and always with Nero and the ASUS when the original is in my laptop.[/QUOTE]

Trust me I use Memorex DL media with good results but that is cause I customized my Registery and and hardware and tweaks here and there to optimize my system…maybe that is why I don’t experience problem people have with burning memorex DL media…but also I don’t try to burn at max or multitask when doing DL burns…also have a HDD that is defragged…So it looks like your burning Shrek which is DVD9 movie to DL so your doing a exact copy to the Memorex DL media…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1932784][B]Trust me I use Memorex DL media with good results[/B] but that is cause I customized my Registery and and hardware and tweaks here and there to optimize my system…maybe that is why I don’t experience problem people have with burning memorex DL media…but also I don’t try to burn at max or multitask when doing DL burns…also have a HDD that is defragged…So it looks like your burning Shrek which is DVD9 movie to DL so your doing a exact copy to the Memorex DL media…[/QUOTE]

They are crap, anyone serious knows that.

Regardless of the media I’m using, is there something that I’m needing to look more closely at? Like I said, this is my first burn with extras and all other movie backups have gone perfectly.

Yeah Shrek is about 79 percent quality when I checked. Use 4380MB max on the disk will give almost perfect results. Media is not really the problem here if you aks me!

[QUOTE=THE C.;1933031]Yeah Shrek is about 79 percent quality when I checked. Use 4380MB max on the disk will give almost perfect results. Media is not really the problem here if you aks me![/QUOTE]

-to more accurately describe an earlier post of mine regarding my burning speed, it’s 2.4 @3.3KB/s, where I stated just 2 (if that makes any difference).

I feel the same with using the Mem’s, junk or not by any-who and anyone. More accurately though, I’ve used Sony’s for the better part of my burning days, with very little failure. I just don’t see Sony DL disks, and don’t really bother to look either,…just a little fish:bow:

I, by the way, had bought recently 3 “M” Dual Layer Disks since the Asus can cooperate more my self really with this newer media tech. Long story short, I have one usefull DL DVD left to use properly I suppose :doh::o . I guess this is why I have had generally posted only in this forum :wink:

So in part is DVD Shrink any good? Speed’s not an issue with me, but quality without compromising much?

Anyone who has been around DVD burning, DVD recorders and DVD players for the last few years will know that the “dirty disc” message of Sony standalones relates to disc quality; especially DVD+RW. Their units are biased towards DVD-R, and the +R/+RW implementation is pretty rudimentary.

Unfortunately there is no systematic way of telling which disc type will do well with Sony units, but if you insist on using +RW then try and get the slower 2.4x or ‘1-4x’ types. You may be burning at 2.4x but if using an 8x or 4x rated disc then it may not make any difference. Otherwise if you are not insistent on using +RW then I suggest you burn to -R which will give you a better chance of successful outcome with a Sony standalone. BTW what is the make and model number of your player/recorder?

I’m with [B]chef[/B] in that IMO the only DL discs to make general positive recommendations on are Verbatim, but even a Sony GX3 recorder that I have access to will not recognise Verbatim MKM +R DL booktyped to DVD-ROM.

All the problems you are having are nothing to do with DVD Shrink.

[QUOTE=chef;1932862]They are crap, anyone serious knows that.[/QUOTE]

Everyone is intitled to their opinion but from my experience with memorex has been good and stand as stated. I been burning with memorex DL for the past two years and out of batch of 50 pack only have produced 4 coaster from each of the 50 pack.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1933763]Everyone is intitled to their opinion but from my experience with memorex has been good and stand as stated. I been burning with memorex DL for the past two years and out of batch of 50 pack only have produced 4 coaster from each of the 50 pack.[/QUOTE]

then youmustbe the happy camper. :wink:

Could you please post the MIDs?